Everton 3-0 Newcastle United (07/12/23)

Mike

Just now, Yorkie said:

Well we were more fatigued tonight because of the games which preceded it. :lol: And we'll be tireder still on Sunday, which is going to be miserable (hope everyone is prepared...) And if the same 11 face Milan, the levels won't be the same as they were in the previous home game ten days prior...

They're just gonna get more and more knackered. 

I was honestly expecting us to struggle against Man Utd because the forum kept going on about how everyone was exhausted, but we played with lots of energy. Maybe they were just very very bad though.

I think we have had mini wobbles under Howe before. The odd hammering, a run of form where we can’t get a win for say 3-4 games. He has always got it sorted and like Matton says. We have finished the season strong the last two years. So I expect the same again. 

We’ll be reet. 

3 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Well.. If we outplay Tottenham in the next game, does that mean we were actually not so tired for this one after all? We were exhausted against PSG but outplayed Man Utd for 80 minutes 5 days later. How did that happen? It's a little confusing for me, we're exhausted every away game and in the home games our players are not exhausted all of a sudden.

Not going to pretend I know the ins and outs, but surely there's and element of adrenaline kicking in with a few k extra at your back. 

I do get what you're saying as I've thought similar myself. 

What I do know is that we were fucked v PSG and almost saw it out, same again today, we struggled through most of the game and didn't give too much away until the first howler. 

If we batter spurs with our' normal' high press and intensity I'll be fucking astounded and won't know what to think. 

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Its just not only the energy. Its the collapse after going down 1-0 away from home for several games now. Something isnt right in the away games. Wasnt going to make a long debate here :lol:. i just think Saturday- Thursday is enough to put in a decent performance agree or not.

We went 2-1 up against West Ham after going 1 down. 

Saturday-Thursday on paper should be enough time, but it evidently isn't and these lads in this situation get more than the benefit of any doubt for. For me I don't even have any doubt, we know how much they work their bollocks off.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Well we were more fatigued tonight because of the games which preceded it. :lol: And we'll be tireder still on Sunday, which is going to be miserable (hope everyone is prepared...) And if the same 11 face Milan, the levels won't be the same as they were in the previous home game ten days prior...

They're just gonna get more and more knackered. 

Yip, I fear for Sunday, Hopefully Wednesday being at home and the last big heave for Champions league and maybe even one or two hitting training from the injured list may have those playing feel they don't have to nurse themselves through

Away form has to be a concern now its absolutely stark contrast to our home form. We've only beaten an absolutely dogshit Sheffield United away from home, lost to two bottom 6 teams and then thrown away wins at Wolves and West Ham. Our away form needs sorting and fast or we can forget about even finishing top 6. 2 wins in 11 in all competitions is crap

We have all of the top teams bar Man City to play away from home in the new year, Theres absolutely no way we will pick up as many points as last season away from home at this rate

3 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Well.. If we outplay Tottenham in the next game, does that mean we were actually not so tired for this one after all? We were exhausted against PSG but outplayed Man Utd for 80 minutes 5 days later. How did that happen? It's a little confusing for me, we're exhausted every away game and in the home games our players are not exhausted all of a sudden.

Every game is different, innit? Tonight we were playing against a physical side that defended deep and got at us on the break. It wasn't a 3-0 game, I was fairly confident we'd get at least a point before Trippier slipped up. 

The Spurs game might suit us if we can soak up some pressure and expose the weaknesses of their high line. Our home record is very good and the players are clearly feeding off the fans to get them over the line in those games, so I'm not sure why that is increasingly being used as a stick to beat them with? 

5 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Its just not only the energy. Its the collapse after going down 1-0 away from home for several games now. Something isnt right in the away games. Wasnt going to make a long debate here :lol:. i just think Saturday- Thursday is enough to put in a decent performance agree or not.

It’s not just Saturday-Thursday though, is it?

It’s the fact that a lad that would be at best, making our bench earlier in the season. Is now playing 4 games in less than 2 weeks or whatever it is.

So many starters have gone down.

Little to no rotation for what seems like 6-7 games.

Players that have filled in admirably are perhaps now getting found out at times.
Then finally, the fact if things aren’t working. We don’t have any attacking subs to impact the game. So we have to just stick with what we’ve got and invariably look a bit jaded late on.  

1 minute ago, BullyDogs said:

Away form has to be a concern now its absolutely stark contrast to our home form. We've only beaten an absolutely dogshit Sheffield United away from home, lost to two bottom 6 teams and then thrown away wins at Wolves and West Ham. Our away form needs sorting and fast or we can forget about even finishing top 6. 2 wins in 11 in all competitions is crap

We have all of the top teams bar Man City to play away from home in the new year, Theres absolutely no way we will pick up as many points as last season away from home at this rate

Away games, had the Bournemouth and Everton results came with us having a functioning squad I'd be concerned, as it is its kind of expected with 13 players out.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Saturday-Thursday on paper should be enough time, but it evidently isn't and these lads in this situation get more than the benefit of any doubt for. For me I don't even have any doubt, we know how much they work their bollocks off.

It probably is when you have the luxury of even a single option on the bench. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Every game is different, innit? Tonight we were playing against a physical side that defended deep and got at us on the break. It wasn't a 3-0 game, I was fairly confident we'd get at least a point before Trippier slipped up. 

The Spurs game might suit us if we can soak up some pressure and expose the weaknesses of their high line. Our home record is very good and the players are clearly feeding off the fans to get them over the line in those games, so I'm not sure why that is increasingly being used as a stick to beat them with? 

I can see how it can look like that, but it's not the point. I'm just confused as to why the difference is so big, can it be fatigue as the only reason? But wouldn't fatigue also affect our home form? We demolished Chelsea and Man Utd at home recently. I guess the next games could clear that up for me, if we look just as tired against Spurs and Milan.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, BullyDogs said:

The media and all of their fans are banging on about Man United being shit and in turmoil yet they are above us only 3 points off City and beat these scouse Mackems at a canter.  What gives

13 players out is what gives.

Just now, madras said:

Away games, had the Bournemouth and Everton results came with us having a functioning squad I'd be concerned, as it is its kind of expected with 13 players out.

The quality on the pitch in both games should have been enough to beat these 2 bottom feeders to be fair. in both games we were absolutely dog shit

Just now, Erikse said:

I can see how it can look like that, but it's not the point. I'm just confused as to why the difference is so big, can it be fatigue as the only reason? But wouldn't fatigue also affect our home form?

Why do you reckon the world over in various sports teams do better at home ?

Just now, BullyDogs said:

The quality on the pitch in both games should have been enough to beat these 2 bottom feeders to be fair. in both games we were absolutely dog shit

They looked fucked and played like it. Bournemouth we also had no forward or Bruno 

1 minute ago, madras said:

Why do you reckon the world over in various sports teams do better at home ?

You realise that our home vs away record is by far the biggest night and day difference out of any team in the league?

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

West Ham wasnt the best example, but the other three have all much of the same ingrediens. I salute the workrate of this team, but I wont be blaiming all of this on the fatigue, like some. The away pattern is there for all to see. We have problems away from home. 

Just now, Erikse said:

You realise that our home vs away record is by far the biggest night and day difference out of any team in the league?

Yes and you realise we have the most first teamers out as well?

11 minutes ago, madras said:

He obviously doesn't think Hall is ready. The way things have gone so far, I'll back his judgement.

I totally agree with him as well, I think Hall has looked poor. But isn’t it better to risk putting him, Dummett, Krafth in and resting others for the Spurs game rather than further tiring them and risk losing both games or worse, picking up more injuries? 
It’s a weird one, I don’t want to question his judgement but it does feel like poor squad management in a period of so many games. 

Edited by Holmesy

Just now, nufc123 said:

West Ham wasnt the best example, but the other three have all much of the same ingrediens. I salute the workrate of this team, but I wont be blaiming all of this on the fatigue, like some. The away pattern is there for all to see. We have problems away from home. 

Which games in particular?

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I was honestly expecting us to struggle against Man Utd because the forum kept going on about how everyone was exhausted, but we played with lots of energy. Maybe they were just very very bad though.

They were extra shit, going through their own turmoil and we were at home.