Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle United (01/01/2024)

BlueStar

3 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Probably forgotten amongst all the anger at the penalty being awarded for Jota diving but did they check if he was offside originally? I'm convinced the VAR were so focused on looking at the contact that they forgot to check the original offside. Looked miles offside when McCallister played the through ball. Another royal fuck up by the video assistant :nope:

I'd like to see a proper replay alright, strange if it wasn't looked at. 

Guest reefatoon
14 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Does anyone know if last night's game was Mo Salah's last game before leaving for the ACoN?

Oh is that where he is going? I thought he might have been off on an epic solo mission to mars or something, the way they were going on.

saw the Guardian match report today, really poor from Andy Hunter 

no mention of Newcastle's disallowed goal at 0-0

no mention of Longstaff penalty appeal at 1-1 right before their second 

no mention of Jota's dive and potential offside for their second peno 

and it can't be because of word limit since he was able to reference Firmino watching on sidelines more than  once

pathetic journalism 

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I admire anyone who can read match reports :lol:

I mean you miss top class journalism like todays piece if you dont read them or the contribution from absolute whoppas like Cross [emoji38]:icon_puke_l:

Edit dam the link resets when i saved it

Edited by Fezzle

10 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

After he nearly had both legs brutally smashed? How could he?

Any word on how long Jota will be out for? The double leg break from Dubs could have been a career ender. We were lucky it was just a pen and not a red card on top 

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm still baffled why he didn't just roll it into the empty net.

Cause he took a bad touch - ball rolls away from him after he got past Dubs.  So he cheated. 

ESPN's weekly VAR review leads with the Jota decision: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39204359/the-var-review-jota-penalty-overturned

Basically argues both sides and then uses it to discuss the current state of VAR, which is fair enough IMO. I wasn't really mad at the referees yesterday - it's the fact that I don't really know what is and isn't a penalty anymore, I don't understand when VAR intervenes and when it doesn't, and as a spectator you don't get anything approaching an explanation of why something was upheld or overturned. How anyone in charge thinks the current implementation of video review is the right way to go about it is beyond me.

I think it was Wenger who argued offside should be decided by clear daylight between players rather than a fraction of someone's hand being considered enough to rule offside. I think that made a lot of sense.

43 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Any word on how long Jota will be out for? The double leg break from Dubs could have been a career ender. We were lucky it was just a pen and not a red card on top 

Any justice and the cunt wouldve been sent off 

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Completely agree. Dubs should have walked 

And a lifetime ban. I've never seen such violent behaviour on a football pitch. It was that gruesome it brought back memories of David Busst.

12 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

ESPN's weekly VAR review leads with the Jota decision: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39204359/the-var-review-jota-penalty-overturned

Basically argues both sides and then uses it to discuss the current state of VAR, which is fair enough IMO. I wasn't really mad at the referees yesterday - it's the fact that I don't really know what is and isn't a penalty anymore, I don't understand when VAR intervenes and when it doesn't, and as a spectator you don't get anything approaching an explanation of why something was upheld or overturned. How anyone in charge thinks the current implementation of video review is the right way to go about it is beyond me.

It's the "Clear and Obvious Error" problem.  The referee made the call immediately and VAR looked at the replay.  Jota made an absolute meal of it and clearly threw himself to the ground, but there is minimal contact from Dubravka.  As there was contact, even if it wasn't enough to warrant the fall, VAR is just there to confirm that the referee's initial call wasn't completely wrong.  If the referee had laughed at the dive and waved play on VAR wouldn't have overturned that decision either as it would have simply confirmed that there wasn't enough contact for the foul.

There is, or was, a similar issue with VAR picking up fouls in play where the referee hasn't taken any action.  As long as the referee says that they saw something happen but then decided to take no action VAR can't intervene further (which Bruno is no doubt extremely thankful for).  Whilst we see VAR reviewing a lot of stuff that goes on in the game, it's the referee who is still paramount and their view of the game is what everything else, including VAR, is based on.

I don't want to get rid of VAR or we'd end up with games like the Chelsea match where without VAR they were able to get away with an unreal amount of fouls but VAR does need more work, possibly including former players and coaches in the process and they need to be clear about who actually runs the games as it looks like VAR is taking a lot of the criticism away from poor refereeing.

36 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

What rubbish - it's never a pen in a million years.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

More annoyed that the Diaz one is deemed fine when he clearly puts his leg onto Botman and initiates the contact then prat falls. Pathetic as per but it's Anfield. The clip of their fans having any issues with the ref's decisions outside the Joelinton non-booking is also pathetic.