Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

47 minutes ago, huss9 said:

@Heronhow's the head this morning?:lol:

:lol: turns out 9 brown ales, a baby guinness, a jagerbomb and a lager isn't good for you.

Off to Cramlington to buy the dog a Harry Potter jumper. The perfect cure... :lol:

Edited by Heron

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There are just no athletes in that midfield for defending. And also Longstaff makes loads of mistakes and Miley is a bit tentative due to being a kid. 

That said, I find it a bit pointless to analyse since we’re only playing them as a last resort. 

I mean I get your point - I just can’t fathom how they (I mean the team) can be so disciplined vs Villa then completely lose that vs Luton - some of it is down to taking the opponent lightly - there was that collective attitude of “Oh well it’s just Luton”  from what I saw right from the off - we were so open - so unlike us at home - the midfield 3 doesn’t work as it should but you play with what you have - give a few tweaks here and there 

24 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I felt like Bruno was playing further forward due to desperation to get goals quickly, I’m not convinced it’s part of any long term plan. 

Tindall shouted to him to move to the number 8 position with Miley being the deepest midfielder mid way through the second half

1 minute ago, Mikky said:

I mean I get your point - I just can’t fathom how they (I mean the team) can be so disciplined vs Villa then completely lose that vs Luton - some of it is down to taking the opponent lightly - there was that collective attitude of “Oh well it’s just Luton”  from what I saw right from the off - we were so open - so unlike us at home - the midfield 3 doesn’t work as it should but you play with what you have - give a few tweaks here and there 

I thought Luton pressed us much better than Villa did. Villa played a high line with little pressing whereas Luton pressed us and the only way out was if the ball stuck to Gordon, Murphy or Almiron in attack and then it was basically a 3 by 3 race

It’s clear that our midfield isn’t functioning and teams are taking advantage of the space in behind our midfield and the left back area. I know we joke about Schar playing midfield, but maybe it’s time to try him screening the base of the midfield. To then free Miley and Bruno to push forward, press and create chances. Something like this: 

Dubravka 

Trippier.  Lascelles.  Botman. Livramento

Schar

Bruno.            Miley 

Gordon.               Isak.             Barnes 

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I felt like Bruno was playing further forward due to desperation to get goals quickly, I’m not convinced it’s part of any long term plan. 

Aye agree. Think he gets a little frustrated with what’s around him and tries to do the work of others.

Just now, Kanji said:

Barkley signed by them for free by the way. A signing we should have been making all day long. 

No chance, imagine the kick off if we had signed him. He looked absolutely finished before a few months ago.

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Barkley signed by them for free by the way. A signing we should have been making all day long. 

I think with hindsight it is but we have to remember at the start of the season we had Bruno,Tonali, Joelinton,Willock,Longstaff, Anderson and Miley for centre mid positions

We had no idea our season would be decimated by injuries and a ban for our £60million new midfielder

Seem to remember Villa fans properly hating him. @brummie?

Seemed like another talent who absolutely murdered his career going to that shit-tip of a club (Chewsea I mean) so you've got to be pleased for the lad that he's having a resurgence. 

Pity he couldn't avoid getting bullied by wor Lewis for goal 4, mind. :shifty:

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Seemed like another talent who absolutely murdered his career going to that shit-tip of a club so you've got to be pleased for the lad that he's having a resurgence. 

nah but Barkley properly did Murphy and Longstaff for his goal :lol: 

Completely forgot Barkley was at Villa :lol:

Feel like we need to ressurect the thread of "players you forgot played for that club". The other day I found out Danny Welbeck played for Watford in the Prem, must have completely blanked that out

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Completely forgot Barkley was at Villa :lol:

Feel like we need to ressurect the thread of "players you forgot played for that club". The other day I found out Danny Welbeck played for Watford in the Prem, must have completely blanked that out

Feels kind of weird how he played for 11 years at Man United and Arsenal. I think he was a decent sub at Man United, but he was never really that good. It also feels like an eternity ago, I was surprised to find out that he's "only" 33.

Edited by Erikse

Dunno if the point has been made, however despite the disappointment, I would have taken a draw at villa and a win against Luton

That's 4 points and that's what we've got, so not a disaster when you look at it that way. 

17 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Bruno is combative. He puts in very similar defensive numbers to Joe.

Today didn't feel like a DM problem to me, what Joelinton is absolutely class at is winning the ball in the opponent's half which helps to pin teams in and resort to pumping long more often. They managed to get it to Barkley from GKs well and he was able to slip by a fair bit. 

Miley gets flak for off the ball work but Longstaff feels like a non-entity in this regard at the moment.

Yeah in summary - we have 7 midfielders - our number 1 is playing as is our number 6 and 7 and it clearly shows - the gulf in quality is evident 

56 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I wonder how much he's worth now? 

Luton must be laughing as no doubt someone will be interested and they'll be able to command a big fee for someone who could have prematurely retired 

17 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Bruno is combative. He puts in very similar defensive numbers to Joe.

Today didn't feel like a DM problem to me, what Joelinton is absolutely class at is winning the ball in the opponent's half which helps to pin teams in and resort to pumping long more often. They managed to get it to Barkley from GKs well and he was able to slip by a fair bit. 

Miley gets flak for off the ball work but Longstaff feels like a non-entity in this regard at the moment.

He does love the dirty side of the game and doesn’t shy away from it. But does he have the athleticism to screen the defence and get across to wide areas when required? Does he have the discipline to actually sit in and help keep our shape? Is that even a requirement or an instruction in Howe’s system?  

With Miley and Longstaff either side of him. Our complete lack of pace and power in the midfield is dreadfully exposed. Bruno also has to play further forward and force the issue. As we don’t have ball carriers or midfielders capable of playing a through ball or unlocking a defence other than him, really. Although Miley is already showing he’s pretty good with his forward passing, TBF. 

I’m not sure how you’d quantify it. But that midfield 3 yesterday must be the slowest and weakest in the league when it comes to physical attributes.

Basically at the minute, get past our front 3/first wave of our press and our team is slow as fuck across the board. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Seemed like another talent who absolutely murdered his career going to that shit-tip of a club (Chewsea I mean) so you've got to be pleased for the lad that he's having a resurgence. 

Wouldn't say hate, it was only a loan after all, so that tends to limit things.

He was so frustrating. I recall we took Arsenal apart at the Emirates and Barkley played an absolute blinder, but he'd then put in a series of Danny Drinkwater* performances.

* Drinkwater is genuinely the provider of the a few of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Villa player since I started going in 1974 or thereabouts.

16 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

He does love the dirty side of the game and doesn’t shy away from it. But does he have the athleticism to screen the defence and get across to wide areas when required? Does he have the discipline to actually sit in and help keep our shape? Is that even a requirement or an instruction in Howe’s system?  

With Miley and Longstaff either side of him. Our complete lack of pace and power in the midfield is dreadfully exposed. Bruno also has to play further forward and force the issue. As we don’t have ball carriers or midfielders capable of playing a through ball or unlocking a defence other than him, really. Although Miley is already showing he’s pretty good with his forward passing, TBF. 

I’m not sure how you’d quantify it. But that midfield 3 yesterday must be the slowest and weakest in the league when it comes to physical attributes.

Basically at the minute, get past our front 3/first wave of our press and our team is slow as fuck across the board. 

I reckon that's why Murphy kept tucking in so deep inside at times.

He was almost there as an extra body and provide more legs.

32 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I wonder how much he's worth now? 

Luton must be laughing as no doubt someone will be interested and they'll be able to command a big fee for someone who could have prematurely retired 

He only signed a one-year contract

50 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Are you forgetting that midfield 3 was also up against 6 for the most part ? They gambled on going man to man with our front 3 and nearly got caught but it ultimately paid off. Also in the first half Bruno escaped several times into fantastic positions to break but we didn't find him.

Purely my opinion but with a Willock or Isak we win that comfortably.

50 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Chelsea spending £35mil on Drinkwater was just as baffling as a lot of their most recent deals

There's a high performance podcast interview with him. I found the irony too much to bear so gave it a pass, although I did fleetingly consider the possibility that I might have been too judgemental

Nevertheless someone might find it interesting