How would YOU 'fix' Football?

Nobody

5 hours ago, TBG said:

Get rid of the 'superstars'.

Make it so 11 random men get the call on a Saturday morning to say they've been called up to represent their team. 

Injured? Think of those brave men and women operating drones, dropping bombs on civilians, keep calm and carry on. 

I’ve always thought that would be a better way of doing the Olympics. It should be people from each country are called up at random through the electoral roll in each country. Picking random people to compete in random sports would give a much better idea of which country had the best, fittest or fattest people and would be far more entertaining. 

The sport was fine. It was only the officialdom that was a problem.

So naturally they've done everything they can since to make that worse.

I feel like it's never been more broke on the field than it is now and never more bureaucratically obsessed with fannying around with it to justify existences of parasites off it.

The more these people do the worse it gets.

Edited by Jonas

56 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

A civilian Olympics is maybe the best idea I've ever heard. I would watch every second of that (and dream of being chosen). 

The Olympics are fairly civilian already TBF. A lot of athletes aren’t professional and those that are often have to sacrifice a hell of a lot and struggle for funding to keep going. Most are there just for the joy of the sport. 

Get some lasses from the Bigg Market to act as cheerleaders - big fat ones , morbidly obese with too small shirts n tops on shouting " Go Magpies go " ! whilst scoffing a donner kebab n chips , grease n chilli sauce sliding down their chins : ) 

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The Olympics are fairly civilian already TBF. A lot of athletes aren’t professional and those that are often have to sacrifice a hell of a lot and struggle for funding to keep going. Most are there just for the joy of the sport. 

Sure, but that's not the same as Bob from accounting getting called up to run the 800m or be the bobsled driver.

20 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

less seriously

Make players less 'perfect' - more Ginola and less Ronaldo. No idea how I'd do that.

Make players smoke a pack of tabs a day? Far too much athleticism these days.

1 hour ago, Orphanage said:

Get some lasses from the Bigg Market to act as cheerleaders - big fat ones , morbidly obese with too small shirts n tops on shouting " Go Magpies go " ! whilst scoffing a donner kebab n chips , grease n chilli sauce sliding down their chins : ) 

I’ll refrain from the ballot, and let other have the privilege of paying £55 to see that.

3 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Sure, but that's not the same as Bob from accounting getting called up to run the 800m or be the bobsled driver.

Yep, you get the vision for the civilian Olympics! 

A limit on how many players a club can have registered and a limit on how many players a club can send out on loan. To stop the horrific practice of rich clubs buying up all the young talent and then pimping them out. 

38 minutes ago, Lotus said:

A limit on how many players a club can have registered and a limit on how many players a club can send out on loan. To stop the horrific practice of rich clubs buying up all the young talent and then pimping them out. 

Great call. Between that and multi club ownership, it’s a complete racket.

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Great call. Between that and multi club ownership, it’s a complete racket.

This just incentivises it sadly. Multi club ownership is absolute cancer and a fantastic workaround to all sorts of rules. 

14 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Always find it really dumb that millionaire footballers, tennis'ers, golfers and NBA stars share the olympics with largely amatuer competitors. I mean whats the point?

Set a fixed transfer limit for each window that any team can reach if they choose. 

Set a fixed salary cap at the same for every team.

Clubs can take the risk if they choose, its on them if they want to gamble. 

Give the captain of each team a VAR challenge of the ref's decisions per game/half and allow the ref to manage game for the majority of the match.  This should allow the game to flow instead of everything being reviewed multiple times. 

Independent regulator needs to review the anti competition rules or the rules which are being used to reduce or prevent competition. 

Edited by NG32

On 15/02/2024 at 06:58, RobsonsWonderland said:

Clubs only allowed to have limited number of players under 21, to limit the likes of Chelsea , city hoarding the best young talent

Restrict the number of outgoing loans per club to restrict the above further.

Bring back the old fashioned reserve league where senior pros, squad players and emerging talent would be able to play together

Rather limit the number of over 23's on the books at the elite level.

39 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

This just incentivises it sadly. Multi club ownership is absolute cancer and a fantastic workaround to all sorts of rules. 

Good point, ban multi club ownership along with it.

I think it’s imperative for the game to be more competitive that the talent is better spread out. I also believe players give more and play better when they’re actually playing for the club that owns their registration rather than one they’re loaned to. 
Not in every instance but most.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think limiting the squad size and tightening the loan system would probably do the job.

I'd reduce the age of players not needing to be registered to play to 19 or 20 too.

And ban multi club ownership.

And reduce the cost for tickets and subscriptions.

As an old git, I would like to go back to the "good old days" when you had mostly "local" players and perhaps a "three foreigners" only rule to add a bit of stardust.

I know it´s not possible but I did think it was more representative of both a club`s region and country when this was common many moons ago... Oh well!

Love Athletic Bilbao´s model of only Basque players, gives a real added bit of pride to the club and region. Although it does limit them to only being able to compete for the 4th to 8th slots in la Liga every year...

More technology such as unbiased AI to help refs and VAR and to eventually to replace them.

Blue card only for unsporting fouls preventing goal scoring opportunities, where red card isn't awarded. Depending on where foul is commited play to be reset with all players X metres behind the ball, except the defending keeper who has to remain in his box and a player of the attacking team who can have a headstart to run towards goal. Would definitely help to stop deliberate fouls.

In extra time, there should be a "shot clock" or an attack clock similar to basket ball to encourage teams to attack. It should penalise defensive teams who want to run down the clock and hope for a penalty shootout.

On 16/02/2024 at 11:04, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think limiting the squad size and tightening the loan system would probably do the job.

Waaay back, I think someone on here suggested to ban loans all together. The idea was that it would force up and coming players to choose to either go to a big club and not play (or play very little) first team football, or go to a mid/lower table team and be a starter/play regularly. And that would in turn make the league more competitive. Sounds good in theory but I'm sure there would be drawbacks as well. What do ya'll think? :)