Newcastle United 1-1 Everton (02/04/24) | Reaction: pg 40

Yorkie

Think it's just a case of realising that the squad at this time is pretty much mid-table quality. 

Pretty potent attack, defence is a shadow of its former self. Therefore we'll drop a lot of points. We've won just about as many games as we've lost this season. Last season, we lost only 5. 

We may yet make some kind of European competition, but as others have pointed out, this summer must be used wisely. Can't repeat all this next season, especially the injuries. 

14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

With all due respect that's not really an answer to the problem I have with the performance. In fact it only highlights it more that we underperformed.

You were questioning we didnt do enough to win. The numbers showed we did enough. It was a terrible team we put out. 

11 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Agggghhhhhh, just got in and feel absolutely fucked off by that. 

Everton are such a shit team, yet they've got 4 points off us this season. 

We just never looked like we were going to make the game comfortable

No blame to anyone, just irritating when we are playing with half our squad unavailable, with that in mind I always thought this game was coming to soon 

We did like. We didn't take the piss but created enough to be 3 up at ht and the Isak miss in the 2nd half was a sickener.

Just now, madras said:

We did like. We didn't take the piss but created enough to be 3 up at ht and the Isak miss in the 2nd half was a sickener.

I never thought we weren’t going to win, although obviously I had the stereotypical ‘we need a second goal’ thoughts. 

Some of the reaction is unjustified in the circumstances even if we only deserved a draw - an upper midtable team chasing Europe drawing at home to one that basically a lower midtable side without the points deduction is hardly cause even with a full team out, it happens, a lot worse happens regularly. Just in tonights few games Wrexham lost at Doncaster, Wolves dropped points at Burnley and Fulham were well beaten at Forest - none of them should be losing their shit about it.

And imho we deserved to be at least 2-0 up at HT

Edited by Jonas

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Second half was poor though. 

annoyed with the result but not the performance

can't ask much more from this group of players 

keeping in mind the Wham game must have been incredibly draining, then to lose Gordon along with 3 more injuries and another injury tonight of course 

had Gordon been available am absolutely certain it'd have been a comfortable win 

fuck this season 

12 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Some of the reaction is unjustified in the circumstances even if we only deserved a draw - an upper midtable team chasing Europe drawing at home to one that basically a lower midtable side without the points deduction is hardly cause even with a full team out, it happens, a lot worse happens regularly. Just in tonights few games Wrexham lost at Doncaster, Wolves dropped points at Burnley and Fulham were well beaten at Forest - none of them should be losing their shit about it.

When I saw the line ups I'd said I'd be happy with a point. Ended being a bit pissed off we didn't win because overall we deserved it.

12 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Second half was poor though. 

On seeing the line ups all us in the bar said its Dyche, try to hold on until the last 20 or 30, then knowing we couldn't change much, bring on the fresh legs of Calvert Lewin etc.

Have to say I couldn't believe how shit they were. Dyche ball is as bad as Bruce ball.

24 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

You were questioning we didnt do enough to win. The numbers showed we did enough. It was a terrible team we put out. 

We underperformed our xG so we obviously didn't do enough did we? :lol: Even then it's the attitude towards the match I have a problem with more than anything. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We underperformed our xG so we obviously didn't do enough did we? :lol: Even then it's the attitude towards the match I have a problem with more than anything. 

We did enough to win the game under performed or not. Now you are just acting difficult. It wasnt a good game at all, but it was a weak team.

Edited by nufc123

27 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

We did enough to win the game under performed or not. Now you are just acting difficult. It wasnt a good game at all, but it was a weak team.

I know it was a weak team, I'm just saying I don't think that's the reason we drew. If I was looking at that xG and thinking ah we just didn't take our chances, or we were unlucky then that's different. My issue is that we played in a very blasé kind of tomorrow will do way imo, which I think is unusual for us.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Not seen any replays just seen the game in the stadium. But Everton were fucking shite all game. We were wasteful with our chances but nobody was bothered as there was no chance that they would ever score. 

No idea what happened with the penalty. But they are the worst team I've seen this season at SJP. Worse than Burnley, Fulham, Brentford and Palace and somehow the Scouse Mackems got a point, the fuckers. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know it was a weak team, I'm just saying I don't think that's the reason we lost. If I was looking at that xG and thinking ah we just didn't take our chances, or we were unlucky then that's different. 

Wasnt that what happened really? 

14 minutes ago, madras said:

On seeing the line ups all us in the bar said its Dyche, try to hold on until the last 20 or 30, then knowing we couldn't change much, bring on the fresh legs of Calvert Lewin etc.

Have to say I couldn't believe how shit they were. Dyche ball is as bad as Bruce ball.

They are the blue Mackems. Somehow avoiding relegation each season with shit football and the odd lucky result. It will catch up in the end, it always does  

Thought it was a good performance ruined by some poor finishing and Dummett’s Wrestlemania moment. Burn’s disallowed goal and them bringing in fresh legs to their midfield took some wind out of our sails and made it a bit iffy in the second half but felt we were still pretty comfortable before the penalty. Frustrating result but we win that 9 times out of 10 even with all the injuries.

Burn was probably the MotM, was colossal. Wish we could give Longstaff a rest but doubt it happens this season, some of the crowd is really getting on his back and I can’t really fault them.

42 minutes ago, Jonas said:

This is where I'm at too.

I feel folk rewrite the game as well based on the result. Everton did fuck all by and large, one chance where they hit the post and that was it. We hit the bar, had the ball in the net twice, one off the line and generally had them on the back foot most the game. They created virtually nowt. Dummett massively cost us with his stupidity.

Just a personal gripe but I feel expectations have risen too quickly and feel folk are desperate to find scapegoats at present. Effort is no longer enough.  People turn up to be entertained and are fans not supporters. Supporters support when the going gets tough. We fold like a pack of cards on 60mins every game and it reflects on the pitch, or vice versa.

I'll put my tin hat on as everyone will no doubt say "we need quality to go to the next level", yada yada yada. We fucking cannot because of FFP. You get more flies with sugar than shit so we should be backing every one of these boys to the hilt. They've given us all these moments, from cup finals to derby wins to possibly one of the biggest victories in our entire history, but groan at Burn for not clearing the ball on the first bounce when he was nigh on immaculate, sigh every time Longstaff misplaced a difficult pass. Wey give owa man. What was that phrase "we don't demand a team that wins..."

Edited by Heron

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know it was a weak team, I'm just saying I don't think that's the reason we lost. If I was looking at that xG and thinking ah we just didn't take our chances, or we were unlucky then that's different. My issue is that we played in a very blasé kind of tomorrow will do way imo, which I think is unusual for us.

I thought it was always going to happen when they have fresh legs to bring on to their midfield against our lot who just played on Saturday and have literally one player on the bench who we can bring on. Just needed that second goal or Dummett not being stupid to take all 3 points.

Incredibly frustrating result but I don’t think there was anything wrong with our performance as a team.

Isak and Bruno must get pissed off with all their efforts going to waste. It's tonight's sort of fuck-up that could sew the seeds of possible summer moves to teams that might actually win things (or at least grind out results!).

2 hours ago, Smal said:

Tarkowski's header after 8 minutes (0.25xg) and Docoure after 43 minutes (0.12xg) were their only shots to register over 0.07xg in the game other than the penalty. The Garner shot which hit the post was a 0.04xg effort generated from very little tbh.

Plus the one he put off the woodwork on his goal, that was a solid chance.