Next season

Rod

On 20/05/2024 at 14:50, Conjo said:

Without going into transfers, there's four things I'm hoping we do better next season:

- playing out of a high press  Keeper with baller skillset i.e. can pass under pressure

- less aimless clearances that just ends up inviting more pressure on our goal See above

- taking our time a bit more on the ball in transition when we don't have runners in good positions I still think we are missing a number ten or to move Bruno a bit further up the pitch to help with this kind of thing

- squad rotation BEFORE injuries starts cropping up  With a great first 11 and decent back up (defenders/RW/Striker/Goalie) we can look to win games within 60-70 minutes and bring on good changes

A bonus fifth: make our midfield harder to play through Think Tonali, Bruno and Big Joe will be pretty formidable in that respect

Out of the above, a ball playing keeper, right winger and striker are our top big money targets this summer. This is assuming we get Tosin and/or Kelly...

1 hour ago, madras said:

Willock

Talking about Willock. Big season coming up for him next season. Probably have to move him on if he cant find back to his old self.

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Talking about Willock. Big season coming up for him next season. Probably have to move him on if he cant find back to his old self.

He was rushed back from injury and never looked anywhere near fit enough. Hopefully he has a decent summer to get back up to speed.

Just now, Beth said:

He was rushed back from injury and never looked anywhere near fit enough. Hopefully he has a decent summer to get back up to speed.

Yes maybe, but if he cant stay fit he cant be trusted. Hes the Joelinton backup really.

3 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Yes maybe, but if he cant stay fit he cant be trusted. Hes the Joelinton backup really.

Yes, but when he's on his game he's miles ahead of Longstaff and Anderson.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

He is, but he needs to be on his game not on the treatment table. Big season coming up for him.

On 19/05/2024 at 23:04, Dokko said:

Robert & Bellamy type ignition signings would be unreal. Another option to go alongside our main striker, and a tricky, flairful winger (on the right this time) to unlock stubborn defences.

Hello R. Kelly!

16 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Willock is a Joelinton alternative for different games where we’re expected to be a bit more dominant. Willock buries that chance at Brentford! Plus Isak loves playing with Willock. Goals, assists and knee slides for days!!

1 minute ago, greydos said:

Willock is a Joelinton alternative for different games where we’re expected to be a bit more dominant. Willock buries that chance at Brentford! Plus Isak loves playing with Willock. Goals, assists and knee slides for days!!

Got no problem with Willocks qualities. If he cant stay fit next season thats two seasons as a passenger. Thats not sustainable in such an important position.

52 minutes ago, buzza said:

Out of the above, a ball playing keeper, right winger and striker are our top big money targets this summer. This is assuming we get Tosin and/or Kelly...

Given we had both one of the top attacks and one of the top defences 2 seasons ago, why a ball playing goalkeeper as that high a priority?

9 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Given we had both one of the top attacks and one of the top defences 2 seasons ago, why a ball playing goalkeeper as that high a priority?

Cause it's the fashion now, keepers that are good at saving shots are about as popular as flares, get with the program you dinosaur.

Generally because it allows the defense to press up higher, which means they are closer to the midfield and the attack, meaning they can retain the ball easier and are harder to press. Yes its fashionable but it's not a coincidence it's used by the best sides. 

You can get away without it if you want to sit deep, this has never been Howe's philosophy though.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Re rotation.... and Barnes thats when he got injured. Willock out nearly all season cuts down the options as did Tonali's suspension, Longstaffs injury and Joelintons. We had a 16yr old keeper on the bench in Europe in September just to get numbers there.

Not disputing that we came to a point where rotation wasn't really possible due to all the injuries. I was hoping for rotations way before the injuries started becoming a limiting factor. First game we had some rotations was the home game against Brentford.....right after an international break ironically enough :lol: 

Last season too, although it wasn't as critical to rotate to keep the squad fresh, would have been nice. 

I just think Howe values a settled 11 way more than a manager competing in 4 competitions can allow - so I'd like to see an improvement in that area. He's done it so well during the last two pre-seasons to get everyone up to speed and familiar with the tactics, and then just doesn't seem to either trust the fringe players he gave time or don't want to rock the boat...or a combination of both.

47 minutes ago, Beth said:

This is the real point - a healthy Willock, with Tonali and a healthy big Joe and the midfield looks a real force surrounding Bruno

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

This is the real point - a healthy Willock, with Tonali and a healthy big Joe and the midfield looks a real force surrounding Bruno

Yeah, plus if we allow Bruno to wander up field and do his thing (which we want to do) it helps to have some CMs with genuine pace who can get back and cover if we lose the ball.

I thought this was a fun season. We handed out some absolute pastings, Isak and Gordon were mint, and we survived a ridiculous injury crisis to still have a reasonable finish. I don't think I'll ever get used to expecting us to win, so I'd be happy with the same again. 

Realistically, if we improve the strength and depth of the squad and manage to avoid the types of games we had this season where teams either walked through our midfield or waited for us to be knackered after 80 mins, I think we could do quite a bit better. Arsenal and City will keep their standards, Chelsea should improve, but Liverpool will decline, Villa will struggle to handle CL, Spurs have been found out and Man U are turgid and drifting. I reckon 4th or 5th is a good target, along with a strong cup run. I'd love us to win literally any trophy, so would be happy with top 8 and a cup.

Mostly I just want to enjoy it, last 2 seasons have been amazing overall. I love watching bruno, AG and Isak and thinking "how do they play for us?" Such a breath of fresh air compared to the big mug magnate's years. 

48 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Not disputing that we came to a point where rotation wasn't really possible due to all the injuries. I was hoping for rotations way before the injuries started becoming a limiting factor. First game we had some rotations was the home game against Brentford.....right after an international break ironically enough :lol: 

Last season too, although it wasn't as critical to rotate to keep the squad fresh, would have been nice. 

I just think Howe values a settled 11 way more than a manager competing in 4 competitions can allow - so I'd like to see an improvement in that area. He's done it so well during the last two pre-seasons to get everyone up to speed and familiar with the tactics, and then just doesn't seem to either trust the fringe players he gave time or don't want to rock the boat...or a combination of both.

It was right at the start of the season, knowing an international break is coming and few of the forwards playing full games and those games were one a week. I don't think that's pushing them too much.

4 hours ago, Beth said:

Cause it's the fashion now, keepers that are good at saving shots are about as popular as flares, get with the program you dinosaur.

I vote for Peter Beardsley in nets!! He was great with the ball.

I’ll stick my neck out on Arsenal here.

after the last 2 seasons they will either win the league or finish battling for 4th/5th. Lego head has done a great job but it’s going to take one hell of an effort to get them going again after coming close 2 years on the spin. 

5 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I’ll stick my neck out on Arsenal here.

after the last 2 seasons they will either win the league or finish battling for 4th/5th. Lego head has done a great job but it’s going to take one hell of an effort to get them going again after coming close 2 years on the spin. 

That defence is too good for them to drop out of the Top 4. They showed they could fight for both the PL and have a reasonable run in the CL this season, I think they kick on. 

However…the injury gods were very kind to them, I feel they may have missed their window there. I still see them as City’s main competition next season but hope with clever recruitment we can bridge a chunk of the gap.

If Pep fucked off after the FA cup final next season might actually be competitive and if they get rid of FFP it will be bat shit crazy.

13 hours ago, Beth said:

The game evolves. It's no longer enough for a winger just to be a good crosser, full-back to be able to block crosses, strikers have to do more than just be able to finish.

Keepers have to at least be able to be comfortable with their feet, they don't have to be Pirlo-like. Give Pope even just Dubravka's feet and he'd be elite.

It'd be nice not having to keep setting up to defend a throw-in or keep having to press all the time to try to win the ball back every time the ball goes back to the keeper.

11 hours ago, OverThere said:

I vote for Peter Beardsley in nets!! He was great with the ball.

Pretty sure I remember Peter the great in goal for us. Pioneers!

15 hours ago, Conjo said:

Agreed.