Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

17 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

Job done. 3 points. Clean sheet. That's all that matters.

Another one, head in the sand.  It's coming home m................m

Just now, Rod said:

He was pretty average.  However, he is an excellent footballer.  So you should be asking yourself why is this excellent footballer so average in this England team.  I know why but I'm not going to tell ya!  🤔

World class players tend to rise above the chaff and do something special in pedestrian encounters like this. Foden isn't anywhere near world class for me. If you think he had an 'average'game, I'd suggest you read through the thread, he was poor/ anonymous 

Just now, Holloway said:

World class players tend to rise above the chaff and do something special in pedestrian encounters like this. Foden isn't anywhere near world class for me. If you think he had an 'average'game, I'd suggest you read through the thread, he was poor/ anonymous 

He was awful tonight but the lad oozes class in the PL.

Didn't like trent in midfield, seems a bit lost.

Didn't like harry Kane when out of possession, both wingers and jude were zipping around trying to pressure and kane was always walking, really annoying. On the ball was fine...

Defence really unsure trying to pass the ball out.

In general we look scarednto play fast zipping passes, everything had to be super secure and we seemed predictable.

6/10 performance for me

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

Another one, head in the sand.  It's coming home m................m

If we did somehow win the whole thing through scrappy 1-0 wins (extremely unlikely), I doubt you'd be complaining that we played shit... ☺️

Edit:And I didn't say its coming home. I said 3 points. Clean sheet. Job done. Which it was.

Never claimed it was a good job...

Edited by Joe1984

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

But it is though. It’s the Lampard Gerrard argument all over again of putting square pegs into round holes. Play either Bellingham or Foden as a ten and have the other on the bench with an actual left forward on the pitch instead. The balance of the team was all wrong tonight.

Thing is though he should be able to at least contribute, even if it isn't ideal. We've seen him do much better for Man City on that side.

Can he be that good if playing in that position renders him completely ineffective?

Is it fair to say that trying to make Trent work right now is similar to what it would have been like trying to make a young Beckham work if the dominant formation in the 90s was 433 based?

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Did I say world class?  Don't think I did.  He's an excellent player in my opinion with the right MANAGER.  Oh, I've just given it away there.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Thing is though he should be able to at least contribute, even if it isn't ideal. We've seen him do much better for Man City on that side.

Can he be that good if playing in that position renders him completely ineffective?

Yeah nicky barmby shows more than foden. He can't get into games looks like a competition winner out there. 

Just now, gbandit said:

Foden is an amazing player. He’s not overrated. He should be in the team, he just shouldn’t be on the left 

Agreed, just not after that performance. He was sloppy all round, should be dropped.

Just now, Holloway said:

Well he plays for Man city 

You kinda have to be good to play for one of the best teams in the world. He’s one of the reasons they are as good as they are.

5 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

But it is though. It’s the Lampard Gerrard argument all over again of putting square pegs into round holes. Play either Bellingham or Foden as a ten and have the other on the bench with an actual left forward on the pitch instead. The balance of the team was all wrong tonight.

For me it's Trent you drop. Sitting two of Rice and Bellingham, Foden in the 10, Gordon on the left. If it doesn't work, drop Foden for Gordon, play Rice and Gallagher as the two and Bellingham in the 10.

Just now, Rod said:

Did I say world class?  Don't think I did.  He's an excellent player in my opinion with the right MANAGER.  Oh, I've just given it away there.

Ok Rod, you rate him more highly than I do . Great players surface no matter the circumstances 

Fuck me, what a frustrating game that was - bloody Southgate's wank tactics, the mind boggles. We don't press enough, we're not aggressive enough, so infuriating to watch, we were lucky not to concede after sitting back so much, you wouldn't see any other 'big' team do it. We just don't have a killer instinct. On top of that, the insistence of playing Foden, he spent more time running around like a headless chicken and moving into the centre when he should be providing an outlet on the left. There's no place for him in the set up we played, should have been Olise or Gordon on the left.

Fuck Gareth Southgate, utter dogshit manager.