Group C: Next - 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

You kinda have to be good to play for one of the best teams in the world. He’s one of the reasons they are as good as they are.

Rodri is the main reason he excels at City. 

Just now, gbandit said:

Foden is an amazing player. He’s not overrated. He should be in the team, he just shouldn’t be on the left 

Think he's not aggressive enough for England.

He's playing like he's at Man City wanting to pass it around for ages, waiting for the perfect combination. That's not England's style of play.

He should be looking to drive with the ball when there's any bit of space and try to make things happen.

Too used to that ultra control style.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

You kinda have to be good to play for one of the best teams in the world. He’s one of the reasons they are as good as they are.

Well why has he failed to impose himself on international opposition ? It can't all be about him being misused 

I can’t bear Southgate’s game management but that’s been the same for 3 tournaments now. Other coaches know if you make aggressive changes, either tactics or personnel England will not react until at least the 70th minute. Hands opposing managers the initiative early in the second half every game.

I will reserve judgement on the Foden wide left debate until it’s clear how close to fitness Shaw is. If Shaw is a contender to start in a week then maybe the formation will come into its own and Southgate has made the call to play Foden now so the team settles. If he’s miles away then Foden on the left isn’t going to work and he should have changed it at half time.

Kane always gets pelters when England play badly but today (and on every other occasion) it’s cos he’s given nothing to work with. Give Kane chances and he bangs them in. 

11 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Trent isn't a central midfielder (not in two anyway). The sooner Walker retires and he can just play RB the better and everyone banging on about him playing can shut up

TAA is a great player for Liverpool, but I'm not sure if the style of football which makes the most of his abilities is ever likely to be played at England. Also we don’t have a VVD to cover for his obvious defensive shortcomings either. I wouldn’t be surprised to see others move ahead of him in the England pecking order before Walker retires.

Just now, Holloway said:

Ok Rod, you rate him more highly than I do . Great players surface no matter the circumstances 

Are you a Newcastle fan or Man Utd fan?  Honest question and I'm not trying to wind you up.

Just now, On the Grid said:

Rodri is the main reason he excels at City. 

This is such a weird take. Are you suggesting they could put someone like Ryan Fraser next to Rodri and he’d win the POTY?

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Fuck me, what a frustrating game that was - bloody Southgate's wank tactics, the mind boggles. We don't press enough, we're not aggressive enough, so infuriating to watch, we were lucky not to concede after sitting back so much, you wouldn't see any other 'big' team do it. We just don't have a killer instinct. On top of that, the insistence of playing Foden, he spent more time running around like a headless chicken and moving into the centre when he should be providing an outlet on the left. There's no place for him in the set up we played, should have been Olise or Gordon on the left.

Fuck Gareth Southgate, utter dogshit manager.

Southgate has his flaws but I don’t think you can blame him for where people are born.

Just now, Holloway said:

Well why has he failed to impose himself on international opposition ? It can't all be about him being misused 

My words were “he oozes class in the PL”. Weirdly some players just don’t play well for England.

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

TAA is a great player for Liverpool, but I'm not sure if the style of football which makes the most of his abilities is ever likely to be played at England. Also we don’t have a VVD to cover for his obvious defensive shortcomings either. I wouldn’t be surprised to see others move ahead of him in the England pecking order before Walker retires.

But why was he picked in midfield?  A very important opening fixture and he's put in a position that's almost alien to him.  You have to question Southgate surely.

Just now, Shearergol said:

My words were “he oozes class in the PL”. Weirdly some players just don’t play well for England.

I know but I can't recall one good game from him where you think that's the left wing sorted. Or any position actually. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

Have you seen so called elite players being so anonymous in critical games? He's overrated 

23 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Not the point though, is it? I’d rather have Walker on the right, and Trippier is the only player who can do a proper job at LB right now.

We all saw the problems. Defence was fine, Rice was great. TAA and Foden just don’t seem able to play in those positions at this level. It’s been decades of this and we’re still trying to shoehorn all our “better” players onto the pitch at once. It’s so glaring. Rice, Bellingham and Gallagher/Mainoo/Wharton in midfield. Gordon and Saka on the wings. Keep it simple.

Yes, absolutely 👍 I’m not English so speaking as a Trippier/Newcastle fan 

Think Foden on the left, who wants to come infield all the time, won't work well when you have a fullback like Trippier who wants to cut back infield as well on to his right. Someone's got to stretch the play and get to the byline.

Would rather have Bellingham in CM with Rice, Foden 10 (though with plenty of flexibility to swap with Rice) and a LW who's going to offer width and get to the byline.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

This is such a weird take. Are you suggesting they could put someone like Ryan Fraser next to Rodri and he’d win the POTY?

No that's a weird take. He's a great player but he needs someone to find him in the spaces he finds. England don't have that

Just now, Rod said:

But why was he picked in midfield?  A very important opening fixture and he's put in a position that's almost alien to him.  You have to question Southgate surely.

I have no idea, all I’m saying is he's not the answer at right back either. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

I know but I can't recall one good game from him where you think that's the left wing sorted. Or any position actually. 

I hoped he’d do well as a wide forward but clearly not. But pretending he’s not class is just weird. 

24 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Foden is an amazing player. He’s not overrated. He should be in the team, he just shouldn’t be on the left 

Yeah, he should be shoehorned to 10 or right even if that means leaving a big name on the bench. Dropping Bellingham next to Rice is such a no-brainer especially against the minnows when there's no clear CM partner for Rice but Southgate is too scared to play without the double pivot. You could be so exciting to watch under a progressive manager, that squad is so talented.

Edited by Pata

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Vintage Rod

Yes I've had a few today.  Hope I haven't insulted anyone ............ yet.

Yeah basically the system pep plays makes foden look world class. Stick him in a Brentford type of style he'd be good still but not as effective.