Group F: 1. Portugal, 2. Türkiye, 3. Georgia (Q), 4. Czechia

Big River

1 minute ago, TenkoDaLuz said:

Yes!

At that time we might have not won anything, but my fondest memories watching the NT are from that time.

From that point on, I'm kind of meh if they go far or not in the competitions. I absolutely detest all this nonsense cult around Ronaldo, which is way worse if you live in Portugal.

We played Sporting Lisbon 3 times in 2005 I think and Joao Moutinho was the one me and my dad kept an eye on as he looked a lovely little player

He had a good international career and an okay club career but also felt he could have played for one of Europe's real elite clubs

Just now, joeyt said:

We played Sporting Lisbon 3 times in 2005 I think and Joao Moutinho was the one me and my dad kept an eye on as he looked a lovely little player

He had a good international career and an okay club career but also felt he could have played for one of Europe's real elite clubs

Yeah I was rooting for you badly. I was actually afraid they could win the UEFA Cup after you guys lost like 4-1 or so?

Just now, TenkoDaLuz said:

Yeah I was rooting for you badly. I was actually afraid they could win the UEFA Cup after you guys lost like 4-1 or so?

Yeah we beat them in Newcastle and then got trounced in Lisbon

3 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Was a huge fan of that late 90's/early noughties Portuguese side

Rui Costa was one of my favourite players, adored him, we were heavily linked with him too but it sadly never happened 

Enjoyed watching that Fiorentina side of the late 90s, they were brilliant even the year they got relegated, remember them losing 7-3 at home to Milan. A right twatting but they were still fun to watch.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Also on the subject of lovely haired Portugeezers

Viana1-1.jpg

I had absolutely no idea that Viana played for NUFC lol. But, at that UEFA Cup game, he was playing for Sporting, right? I am fairly positive he was playing for them during that season.

I had absolutely no idea that Viana played for NUFC lol. But, at that UEFA Cup game, he was playing for Sporting, right? I am fairly positive he was playing for them during that season.

Wrong time for him sadly. I do think he had a lot of quality and would have been good in the modern era 

Yeah he was at Sporting that season, not sure if he played against us

He was a bit unlucky here as he clearly had talent but we had Laurent Robert at left wing who was class and a solid/dynamic centre midfield with Speed, Dyer, Jenas

Just now, joeyt said:

Yeah he was at Sporting that season, not sure if he played against us

He was a bit unlucky here as he clearly had talent but we had Laurent Robert at left wing who was class and a solid/dynamic centre midfield with Speed, Dyer, Jenas

Laurent Robert played for us (Benfica).

Physically speaking, he was horrible, always out of shape and tired, but his shooting power and precision from outside the box are something that I've never seen again in a player wearing our shirt.