Silly season in full flow - Joey Barton

Nicky

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,3,00.html

NEWCASTLE are ready to make a £5.5million swoop for Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton, writes MARTIN BLACKBURN.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder has put Liverpool striker Peter Crouch at the top of his January wish-list.

But he is also a fan of Barton, 24, and is keen to test the resolve of City boss Stuart Pearce.

Barton has a clause in his contract which allows him to talk to any club who make a bid of £5.5m or more.

Roeder has plenty of options in central midfield at present with the likes of Scott Parker, Nicky Butt, Kieron Dyer and Turkish star Emre.

But there are doubts over the long-term future of ace Emre so Roeder is keeping his options open.

The departure of Barton would be a major blow to City as he only signed a new four-year contract at Eastlands in July.

And with champions Chelsea showing interest in young England defender Micah Richards, 18, it could be a disastrous start to the year for the Blues.

No thanks!

Scott Parker holding and Joey Barton bombing on would be very effective in my opinion.

if the rumors about Emre are true that Bayern Munich want him for around £8 million then i would cash in and buy Joey Barton for £6 million and have the holding options of Parker and Butt and bombing on options of Dyer and Barton.

however January is not the time for this...

i think Roeder will concentrate on bringing in players in positions we need like Defense and a Striker and not Joey Barton in January.

If Emre is off (as Hargreaves move to manure looks stronger everyday the window approaches) to Bayern for around £7-8m, then Barton at £5.5m is a good replacement.

I reckon he'll get us more goals and could possibly bring out the best in Parker, maybe.

Parker certainly needs someone else alongside him, Emre just doesn't work, and even though Parker has his faults, i'd rather keep him than our little Turk.

Hargreaves to Manu - £12m

Emre to Bayern - £8m

Barton to Newcastle - £5.5m

Transfer merry-go-round, but its the only way we will bid for Barton.

Barton and Parker hardly fills me with confidence, given there is about zero creativity between the both of them, and I'm not sure two all action players in the middle will work, I think they would just cancel it other out trying to do the same things.

If Emre is off (as Hargreaves move to manure looks stronger everyday the window approaches) to Bayern for around £7-8m, then Barton at £5.5m is a good replacement.

I reckon he'll get us more goals and could possibly bring out the best in Parker, maybe.

Parker certainly needs someone else alongside him, Emre just doesn't work, and even though Parker has his faults, i'd rather keep him than our little Turk.

Emre to Bayern - £8m

Just out of interest, why? Not having a dig, but a lot of people on here seem to be reasonably anti-Parker of late, and I wondered what attributes you think it is that Parker has that makes him more valuable than Emre?

Underrated, one of the better English midfielders should get him, this makes me feel that Roeder will play Emre and Dyer in rotation or that Milner will go.

Emre to Bayern - £8m

Aye -The Mirror- is going for the same theme/exclusive Joey Barton IN Emre OUT... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=joey-bartoon-%26method=full%26objectid=18351137%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

both the big tabloids going for the same story i have to say i would be surprised if it happens however the prospect of Joey Barton and Scotty Parker tougher would be fantastic in my opinion.

Joey Barton has 5 goals already this season and got 7 goals last season and has 1070 passes this season according to OPTA STATS the third highest amount of passes in the Premiership behind Xaxi Alonso and Fabregas personally i think Joey Barton is very under rated.

Emre to Bayern - £8m

Aye -The Mirror- is going for the same theme/exclusive Joey Barton IN Emre OUT... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=joey-bartoon-%26method=full%26objectid=18351137%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

both the big tabloids going for the same story i have to say i would be surprised if it happens however the prospect of Joey Barton and Scotty Parker tougher would be fantastic in my opinion.

Joey Barton has 5 goals already this season and got 7 goals last season and has 1070 passes this season according to OPTA STATS the third highest amount of passes in the Premiership behind Xaxi Alonso and Fabregas personally i think Joey Barton is very under rated.

Think Fabregas has the most passes with 1400 odd. Nevertheless and more to the point Barton is a bit of a dickhead, dont want to see him prance about the place with his arse out in a newcastle shirt thanks.

Nevertheless and more to the point Barton is a bit of a dickhead, dont want to see him prance about the place with his arse out in a newcastle shirt thanks.

yeah i would have to agree with that point...

however as Sir Bobby says you have to decide whether his ability over rides his antics (certainly did in Bellamy and Robert case as 4th 3ed and 5th suggests) but with Joey Barton its a difficult one however I really do think he is a fantastic player.

Nevertheless and more to the point Barton is a bit of a dickhead, dont want to see him prance about the place with his arse out in a newcastle shirt thanks.

yeah i would have to agree with that point...

however as Sir Bobby says you have to make up whether his ability over rides his antics and with Joey Barton its a difficult one because its obvious he is a fantastic player.

Your right but I think players like Barton think they are bigger than the club. I would love to be proved wrong but look at bellamy great player but wouldnt have him back in a million years.

Your right but I think players like Barton think they are bigger than the club. I would love to be proved wrong but look at bellamy great player but wouldn't have him back in a million years.

always find it interesting when people have that stance on that one...

however i have much more loyalty to someone (Bellamy) who actually did something really good for this football club and contributed hugely to the high times rather then someone who didn't and ruined it (Souness).

i will never share Souness opinion on this one i am afraid.

Guest POWNATS

Hargreaves   Emre  Parker  Barton

I prefer Barton from those four

Bartons gonna be an England player very soon

Hes as important to City as Cahill is to Everton

Less than 8 days ago Barton said he wasn't going anywhere.

He said: "I am very happy here at City and have absolutely no desire or intention to leave. I want to concentrate on playing for this football club and am very positive about the future.

"I trust this is the end of the matter and we can get on with preparing for the Christmas period of games."

Source

I don't go for this baseless speculation shite. Everyone is interested in him according to one paper or another (Including Arsenal(!) and them(!!!)). Unless something actually happens I don't think there is much to talk about.