Will Osula

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

History should look kindly on wood, who like you said wasn’t anything special but the key was that he was a focal point and didn’t force us to shift too many pieces around. He also banged in a few crucial goals when it seemed like nothing was going to work for us. 

I’ll always be grateful for his time here. He gave us a shape that we badly needed. Did a job and pretty much got us our money back. The hatrick was a ferk you to all his doubters! [emoji38]

I've said multiple times before but anyone who was at that Cambridge FA Cup game could see what Wood eventually brought to the team. 

Even an average at best CF gives a side a structure and shape it lacks without one. We were an amorphous blob that day.

2 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Thats because you are normal. The need to be negative is so weird

Its not normal to be enthusiastic about a striker with his (non) goal scoring record but whatever floats your boat.

45 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

I’ll always be grateful for his time here. He gave us a shape that we badly needed. Did a job and pretty much got us our money back. The hatrick was a ferk you to all his doubters! [emoji38]

Although his doubters did have a point because he's fundamentally a below average player. 

Completely disagree on Wood, every game I saw him he marked himself out of the game, had no link up play and let defenders stand goal side of him.  At best he was just a body up top, but we had literally no-one else to do it at the time.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Completely disagree on Wood, every game I saw him he marked himself out of the game, had no link up play and let defenders stand goal side of him.  At best he was just a body up top, but we had literally no-one else to do it at the time.

If we're re-writing Wood's time here to remember him fondly we might as well do that for every crap player who played for us. My fondest memory of him was the day he was sold.

Edited by Skeletor

22 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Its not normal to be enthusiastic about a striker with his (non) goal scoring record but whatever floats your boat.

Normal people support their teams new players, nobody is asking you to be over the moon just not acting like a prick over it would do

9 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Aye, taking his transfer fee into account Wood's one of the worst strikers I've seen for us.

Alan Smith cost us the fat end of £20m for zero goals. Wood we got most the money back and actually scored a few

Just now, Fezzle said:

Normal people support their teams new players, nobody is asking you to be over the moon just not acting like a prick over it would do

I'm simply giving an opinion. Sorry people who have opposite opinions to you are "not normal" and "pricks" :thup:

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

Alan Smith cost us the fat end of £20m for zero goals. Wood we got most the money back and actually scored a few

Smith played in midfield and cost 6-7m.

Just now, The Butcher said:

Smith played in midfield and cost 6-7m.

Imk assuming you understand he got paid for 5/6 years too? Also he ended up in midfield he started up front as was hopeless

32 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

it's very negative to be downbeat about a setup proven for buying, improving and geting more than their moneys worth out of players a setup whose just added someone to the team whose got a reputation in this field - whose just gone out and bought a young player who seems to have a lot to work with in an area where it will cost a lot of money to replace and we're incredibly short of bodies in - at a time where we're not rolling in money and are desperate in other areas as well to close your mind for this deal because it's not a £60M sigining. 

Edited by Gawalls

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I'm simply giving an opinion. Sorry people who have opposite opinions to you are "not normal" and "pricks" :thup:

Being needlessly negative isnt helping anyone man, its pathetic but if thats what gets you by good for you

Just now, Fezzle said:

Being needlessly negative isnt helping anyone man, its pathetic but if thats what gets you by good for you

Neither is being blindly positive when stats suggest there are reasons to be skeptical of his signing.

6 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Wasn't it 6.5m IIRC?

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

people look at Woods stats and forget / don't realise that the players around him played better for him being in the team.  That "Worst striker ever" played in a Burnley team that went down as soon as they sold him, played in a team for us that rocketed up the league and then went to a Forrest team where he went back to getting double figures and they stayed up.

I don't even look at a young players past goal scoring record really. I guess that's insight but i always think when players are so young it's not really overly reliable. And as ever stats don't tell the whole story, such as the style of team he was playing for, were they attacking or defensibly minded. Were they struggling, who was the manager. I tend to go with how Eddie is, the way we play and what he expects, his training methods. The lad will certainly get chances, we'll soon see how he is then.

3 minutes ago, HawK said:

Wasn't it 6.5m IIRC?

Yes, and £100k a week for 5/6 years plus a loyalty bonus at the end. He was comfortably far worse than Wood

Alan Smith came to us as a DM having been ruined by Fergie previously. I can only remember him playing up front once in the 2-2 against Derby. He was total trash, but we bought him when he was total trash so we deserved it. Thankfully the days of buying cast offs from Man Utd over.

He's got some canny finishes on both feet in clips so it feels like it's a case of getting more regular chances, building confidence, and finding finishes that feel comfortable.

He'll get plenty of bench time this season with Wilson's penchant for going missing ~50% of the season, but I doubt there'll be any pressure on his goalscoring numbers. Likely a campaign where the main focus will be truly trying to prep for 25/26 if he's going to make it here - getting 'Howe fit', building his athleticism up, learning tactics & roles etc. 

12 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

He's got some canny finishes on both feet in clips so it feels like it's a case of getting more regular chances, building confidence, and finding finishes that feel comfortable.

He'll get plenty of bench time this season with Wilson's penchant for going missing ~50% of the season, but I doubt there'll be any pressure on his goalscoring numbers. Likely a campaign where the main focus will be truly trying to prep for 25/26 if he's going to make it here - getting 'Howe fit', building his athleticism up, learning tactics & roles etc. 

Worth saying again, we created 97 ‘big chances’ last season (third best in the league). Sheffield United created 40 (worst in the league). 

26 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Don't bother engaging man.

It's a regular theme that usually ends in embarrassment for the guy.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

We didn't even have a 3rd option last two seasons. I really don't see how this addition can be seen as a bad thing.

Completely agree on squad depth, it is essential we boost that - we were so exposed last season. 

I just hope he is given the time and freedom to improve under Eddie, and that our fans give him a chance as well.