Marc Guehi

gdm

What did VVD stats look like at Geuhi’s age?  Who in football currently has comparable chart to VVD?

Edited by Kanji

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Stats are only boring when you don’t like the outcomes. 

If his stats mirrored VVD it would be celebrated and used as a reason to get further excited. I would stfu too.  

Makes you wonder why we are going for him then if someone working outside the game can easily see, probably without the depth of data they have access to, that the player isn't all that.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If his stats mirrored VVD it would be celebrated and used as a reason to get further excited. I would stfu too.  

Fuck the stats man

We’re trying to sign England’s current first choice CB and people are lobbing stats about rather than just enjoying the moment 

Do the amateur stat nonces on here not think the actual real life professional paid to be stat nonces scouts at NUFC will have assessed the stats in great detail and are happy enough with that assessment to agree that he’s a player we should be trying to sign 

Edited by bobbydazzla

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I highly doubt that to be honest.

Mate, you're comparing him to arguably the best defender in the premier league's history. The only shocking thing is how you don't realize how shocking that is.

If his statistics "mirrored"  VVD he would be out of our league

Edited by tarie4

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. So between now and then all we have is speculation about what he could potentially do and how he fits. I’ll continue to share my ideas - sharing my logic as best I can with any evidence to support that I can.  

Id appreciate if you engaged with the ideas in good faith for what they are or just ignored them. And not lie on my name to fit your narrative like you have. 

I really don't think I did.

Your posts tend to contain a lot of changing information. You also completely ignored any points I made and started discussing something else.

Very difficult to have a proper discussion.

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

What did VVD stats look like at Geuhi’s age?  Who in football currently has comparable chart to VVD?

I dunno mate. 

here’s Jarrod Branthwaite. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0592ee83b30962cfe60b7b6856b5b7a2.jpeg

Gabriel during his Lille days 

image.thumb.jpeg.6f0a220d43490987b7b4f76d40385b85.jpeg

Laporte and Otamendi - I wouldn’t have considered Otamendi so good in the air 

image.thumb.png.8f290598492165081e48628ee59e818f.png
 Saliba in Ligue 1 as a kid. 

image.thumb.png.838f628b79e04f7533078fb68a5b889b.png

The stats from fbref and Whoscored also show compared to other PL CBs  wor Guehi ranks towards the bottom for headers and winning headers %. We would struggle to find several top quality CBs with worse heading success. Schar might be one of them funnily enough. 

I haven’t paid close enough attention to him to know if he’s always putting attackers off in other ways that other defenders don’t. It’s possible.  Also think heading ability is less important these days.  

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I dunno mate. 

The stats from fbref and Whoscored also show compared to other PL CBs  wor Guehi ranks towards the bottom for headers and winning headers %. We would struggle to find several top quality CBs with worse heading success. Schar might be one of them funnily enough. 

I haven’t paid close enough attention to him to know if he’s always putting attackers off in other ways that other defenders don’t. It’s possible.  Also think heading ability is less important these days.  

I was knocking shit like that out in the 70s81DxE9KBOZL._AC_UF10001000_QL80_FMwebp_.thumb.webp.a77cbf21d9f24a45550cdd67367e72ab.webp

Edited by Groundhog63
Rogue g

16 minutes ago, madras said:

Makes you wonder why we are going for him then if someone working outside the game can easily see, probably without the depth of data they have access to, that the player isn't all that.

The club definitely have access to far more sophisticated data than I do and it might prove me wrong about Guehi’s aerial ability. 100%.  Not acting like there’s no room for error but it’s the best data that I have. 

The dozen+ clubs with greater pull than us also have access to more sophisticated data than me, why aren’t they in for him? They also had sophisticated data on Gordon, Bruno, Isak - why didn’t they sign them with their greater pull? 

If your point is ‘the club have better data than you, therefore your particular point here is invalid’. I think that’s a weak argument.  There’s a whole multitude that goes into signings. All end up being judgment calls where in the end people get things right and wrong all the time.  

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I dunno mate. 

I understand that we are not acquiring Guehi solely for this season. We are constructing a formidable back four for the upcoming years. Guehi's strengths lie in his pace and agility, which are precisely the attributes we currently lack. In terms of heading ability, his potential partner, The Batman, possesses both heading prowess and strength.

I am certain that a partnership between them would be formidable.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s part of the reason I’m good at FPL.  

I evidently missed a trick not using my FPL win as an excuse to crank my forum ego up several notches. 

26 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Fuck the stats man

We’re trying to sign England’s current first choice CB and people are lobbing stats about rather than just enjoying the moment 

Do the amateur stat nonces on here not think the actual real life professional paid to be stat nonces scouts at NUFC will have assessed the stats in great detail and are happy enough with that assessment to agree that he’s a player we should be trying to sign 

Maguire would’ve been ahead of him in the Euros if fit. Just saying :lol:

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Maguire would’ve been ahead of him in the Euros if fit. Just saying :lol:

We were also unable to play attractive attacking football due to Philips' injury.

@KaKa I said Guehi looks comfortable on the ball but not an  progressive passer. I then shared stats that show evidence that he’s not a progressive passer. I like that he distributes off both feet though. You then accused me of calling him a ‘bad passer’. Show me where I said that. I didn’t. You lied on me. 

You seem to think because I said he’s not a progressive passer = he’s a bad passer. And that if I think he can pass with both feet = he’s a progressive passer or something? It’s all v. binary and basic. I don’t mean to be rude but you are either heavily biased or incapable of nuanced thought. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s part of the reason I’m good at FPL.  I make decisions based on coherent logic from the eye test and the underlying stats. 

:clap2:
quoted for the new page, just in case anyone missed it.

5 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

We were also unable to play attractive attacking football due to Philips' injury.

You could argue that was actually proven right in the end :lol: 

11 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

I understand that we are not acquiring Guehi solely for this season. We are constructing a formidable back four for the upcoming years. Guehi's strengths lie in his pace and agility, which are precisely the attributes we currently lack. In terms of heading ability, his potential partner, The Batman, possesses both heading prowess and strength.

I am certain that a partnership between them would be formidable.

I agree long term I like it more. But Botman isn’t likely to feature heavily this season so presents a potential issue in the short term.

I also think Howe likes a big defence, so it makes it harder for Hall who I’m a big fan of.  this one is more speculation. 

I generally prefer both CB to be good in the air like the best sides in the division. Some of which have found quality CBs for much less than £60m. Granted quick, good in the air, composed, strong, brings it out, penetrative passer etc. is a unicorn.  There’s trade offs everywhere.