Marc Guehi

gdm

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You don't get a 24 year old starting England centre back for £35-£45m in 2024 unless you've exploited a situation like. That just wouldn't happen. 

I see your point, Todibo just went for that price and is similiar level to Guehi.

If Guehi is getting a premium on him because Harry Maguire got injured then we need to be smarter.

4 minutes ago, TRC said:

I see your point, Todibo just went for that price and is similiar level to Guehi.

If Guehi is getting a premium on him because Harry Maguire got injured then we need to be smarter.

As good as Todibo might be, Guehi is also a known quality (and a high quality at that) in the Premier League with no need for any integration or any increased risk. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

As good as Todibo might be, Guehi is also a known quality (and a high quality at that) in the Premier League with no need for any integration or any increased risk. 

Matheus Nunes (53m)

Mason Mount (55m)

Kalvin Philips (42m)

Moises Caicedo (115m)

Wesley Fofana (75m)

Danny Drinkwater (34m)

Romelo Lavia (62m)

Marc Cucurella (55m)

Richarlison (60m)

Just some PL proven players that recently moved between PL clubs and haven’t worked out. There is no transfer without any risk or integration required. You pay more for PL players for a reduced risk, but statements like the above are a massive oversimplification.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Matheus Nunes (53m)

Mason Mount (55m)

Kalvin Philips (42m)

Moises Caicedo (115m)

Wesley Fofana (75m)

Danny Drinkwater (34m)

Romelo Lavia (62m)

Marc Cucurella (55m)

Richarlison (60m)

Just some PL proven players that recently moved between PL clubs and haven’t worked out. There is no transfer without any risk or integration required. You pay more for PL players for a reduced risk, but statements like the above are a massive oversimplification.

Over half of them are Chelsea like, so not sure they count 😂

Just now, SteV said:

Over half of them are Chelsea like, so not sure they count 😂

They love that PL proven talent at a premium. They are the perfect example. Other clubs are far more cautious in overpaying for PL players in their prime.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

They love that PL proven talent at a premium. They are the perfect example. Other clubs are far more cautious in overpaying for PL players in their prime.

We haven't really done it much either TBF, there's just some weird misconception about Howe. 

58 minutes ago, gdm said:

Trade with what though?! We're trying to offload players of the wrong age, that no one wants, can't stay fit or don't want to leave, so we can buy top quality and evolve as a team. 

19 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Matheus Nunes (53m)

Mason Mount (55m)

Kalvin Philips (42m)

Moises Caicedo (115m)

Wesley Fofana (75m)

Danny Drinkwater (34m)

Romelo Lavia (62m)

Marc Cucurella (55m)

Richarlison (60m)

I would say it's your post that's a massive oversimplification tbh. All of the players you've listed there were signed as back ups to massive players at Man City and Spurs and/or were going to basketcase football clubs like Man United and Chelsea. 

Guehi would be starting at a non-basketcase club. If you can get me a list of players that haven't worked out in that context (regulars at Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal for example) then I'll say fair play, you have a point. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I would say it's your post that's a massive oversimplification tbh. All of the players you've listed there were signed as back ups to massive players at Man City and Spurs and/or were going to basketcase football clubs like Man United and Chelsea. 

Guehi would be starting at a non-basketcase club. If you can get me a list of players that haven't worked out in that context (regulars at Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal for example) then I'll say fair play, you have a point. 

That works both ways though. Should similar excuses be made for all the players we brought in from abroad under Ashley and who are mostly labelled "shit" on here to this day, despite often having decent careers before and after, the likes of Florin Thauvin and Luuk de Jong? We were after all an absolute basket case of a club.

Which brings me to my point: it is not where a player comes from or how "league proven" they are, as long as they have the right mentality and are of the required talent, it's whether where they go have a manager, coaching team, tactics etc. that can get the best out of them. Then there is an element of luck involved (injuries, squad developments, adopting to new surroundings, not getting caught doing something silly off the pitch, etc.)

To be more on topic: Marc Guehi is not a guaranteed success here. Like any transfer there would be some risk involved even if he has played a hundred odd PL games to date.

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If you can get me a list of players that haven't worked out in that context (regulars at Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal for example) then I'll say fair play, you have a point. 

So the better run clubs?

Liverpool: Carroll, Karius, Keita, Solanke

Man City: Phillips

Spurs: Ndombele, Lo Celso 

Arsenal: Pepe

2 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

So the better run clubs?

Liverpool: Carroll, Karius, Keita, Solanke

Man City: Phillips

Spurs: Ndombele, Lo Celso 

Arsenal: Pepe

Think the question was about big money signings from within the PL. 

47 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Trade with what though?! We're trying to offload players of the wrong age, that no one wants, can't stay fit or don't want to leave, so we can buy top quality and evolve as a team. 

That’s why I keep saying we need to be smart this window. Even if it means buying no one unless we sell as trouble will find us next year and who we’d have to lose would probably take the team further back than any signing this window would take us forward.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think the question was about big money signings from within the PL. 

Aaah. Skipped over the "in that context" part. Fair enough. No signings are guaranteed though.  I feel like Guehi would be very likely to be a hit.  

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

That’s why I keep saying we need to be smart this window. Even if it means buying no one unless we sell as trouble will find us next year and who we’d have to lose would probably take the team further back than any signing this window would take us forward.

But if that was what was needed, wouldn't we be doing that?

5 minutes ago, TRC said:

Palace want Lacroix to replace Guehi, he will be a third of the price. I'd be all over that, then go mega on a RW.

Me personally, I've seen nowhere near enough of Todibo and Lacroix to know how good they'd be.

You seem pretty certain of both. Are you sure?

Edited by KaKa

CB has to be the position where everyone knows the name of loads of players from abroad but has no idea how good they are. 

Not directed at TRC specifically, but there are endless names over the years. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Me personally, I've seen nowhere near enough of Todibo and Lacroix to know how good they'd be.

You seem pretty certain of both. Are you sure?

I havent seen a tonne of either, but I also watched Guehi get run ragged by Callum Wilson, Jacob Murphy and Sean Longstaff last season. 

1 minute ago, TRC said:

I havent seen a tonne of either, but I also watched Guehi get run ragged by Callum Wilson, Jacob Murphy and Sean Longstaff last season. 

Think its a buy for potential, as much as ability. Only just turned 24. Will be interesting to see if we bite on this third offer - will give us a real insight into just how confident top brass is in the lad