Players that were actually decent for us that are totally forgotten

gjohnson

Gavin Peacock 

Without him and his goals I don't think we would have stayed up in Keegans first year or had the promotion year we did.

Obviously Kelly and then Cole took the end of season headlines but he was a favourite of mine as a kid.

For me i would agree with Daryl Murphy as even i forgot about him until i saw his name on the third page of this thread, he did exactly the job we bought him for and left.

Danny Guthrie did quite well for us in the championship and in the season we've finished 5th under Pardew too.

Edited by Newcastle Fan

21 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

Never remember Jamie Mclen being decent for us.

IIRC he played in CM with Acuna, can't remember who against but it was a decent side, and got man of the match. And if i also IIRC, he said himself afterwards it should have been Acuna, which would have been quite right, they were both excellent but Acuna was brilliant in the game.

2 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

IIRC he played in CM with Acuna, can't remember who against but it was a decent side, and got man of the match. And if i also IIRC, he said himself afterwards it should have been Acuna, which would have been quite right, they were both excellent but Acuna was brilliant in the game.

Arsenal in the cup, drew 1-1. 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Arsenal in the cup, drew 1-1. 

Jamie David McClen. Born 1979, sold 2005. Interesting isn’t it? some of the stuff he was saying about Acuna after the Arsenal game. 

10 hours ago, Elma said:

If we're thinking totally forgotten, and can include loans, then Paul Bodin was decent in the six games he played for us.

I remember one game that was played in really strong wind, he was the only player sensible enough to drill passes into players at pace.

Wish I knew/could remember the game for that nuance. Could probably narrow it down easy enough, home game yeah?

Boro on boxing day I think was a bit blowy.

Was a weird signing because he was good for that  good Swindon team under Ossie and would have been a good signing for us then, much less when we were much worse and his in the meantime having gone to a higher division.  Felt quite a coup.

3 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Wish I knew/could remember the game for that nuance. Could probably narrow it down easy enough, home game yeah?

Was a weird signing because he was good for that  good Swindon team under Ossie and would have been a good signing for us then, much less when we were much worse and his in the meantime having gone to a higher division.  Felt quite a coup.

Quality player for Swindon, one of their best in 92/93

1 hour ago, Fak said:

Can’t remember Anita doing anything apart from scoring v City and passing it straight to West Ham’s keeper when him and Cisse were clean through on goal. 

Scored a ridiculous volley in Brugge. My memory is basically every game Pardew having to swap him to right back and putting Perch in centre midfield so we had some physicality in there

6 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Scored a ridiculous volley in Brugge. My memory is basically every game Pardew having to swap him to right back and putting Perch in centre midfield so we had some physicality in there

Perch is a good shout too. 

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Yeah it was definitely a home game. I remember sitting in the Milburn stand and he pinged one down the line when everyone else was playing the ball normally and it was getting caught up in the wind.

Had to be either Boro or Bristol Rovers as I missed the 2-2 with Port Vale as I was in sixth form and had a school event on that Saturday at Chillngham Castle. In my mind's eye the oppo were in red so probably Boro.

Looking at those results, we didn't do that well in his six games - the last one was horrific and probably spelled the beginning of the end of Ossie. I remember listening to that on Metro Radio on New Year's Day. Charles Harrison's radio link went down and he did the first 45 minutes over the phone if I recall correctly.

Screenshot_20240804_225653.jpg

I've skim read the thread to see if he has been forgotten but I will say Ki Sung-Yueng

Fairly standard midfield destroyer/recycler who didn't cost anything, but usually put a decent shift in, doing Shelvey's running for him.

Classic Rafa signing, making the most of the little available to him.

7 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I thought Paul Kitson was decent but think I was in the minority at the time :lol:

For some reason as a kid I hated him, also Darren Anderton. To the point when my Mum bought me a load of Corinthian figures and both of them were in the collection, I used to snap the legs etc. Crazy how they were both injury prone. Was obviously an unknown voodoo master as a kid🤣

Paul Goddard. Never quite demonstrated his form for West Ham, but made a difference/reliable striker. Have nagging memory that he was something to do with the Boys Brigade? Nickname Sarge? (Really hope early dementia isn’t setting in!) 

17 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I thought Paul Kitson was decent but think I was in the minority at the time :lol:

Seem to recall playing against Sheff Wed around 94 and he played up front and looked amazing for about half an hour. Then he took a ball full in the face, had to go off and was never quite the same again. Scored a hat trick against Swansea in the cup later on I think.