The worst Newcastle player you've seen in a match

gjohnson

Jeff Wrightson made his debut against Everton on Boxing Day in the middle 80s. He was totally out of his depth, never hit a kick. Everton were fucking brilliant back then though so I'm probably being harsh.

I don't remember him being particularly bad at all but Terry Wilson was subbed off in Keegan's first game as manager and never seen again, might even have been at half-time iirc and we went on to win comfortably without him.

I mean there are some good shouts in this thread so far, I'd probably have to agree with Luuk De Jong, his efforts on goal were like passbacks, so tame.

But I think for me, there would have to be a winner, and that is pretty much any game Emmanuel Rivière took part in.

2 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I mean there are some good shouts in this thread so far, I'd probably have to agree with Luuk De Jong, his efforts on goal were like passbacks, so tame.

But I think for me, there would have to be a winner, and that is pretty much any game Emmanuel Rivière took part in.

Riviere was everything I hate in a striker.

Edited by Skeletor

9 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Jeff Wrightson made his debut against Everton on Boxing Day in the middle 80s. He was totally out of his depth, never hit a kick. Everton were fucking brilliant back then though so I'm probably being harsh.

Was that the 2-2 game? Brilliant match that, Gazza and Beardsley fantastic

52 minutes ago, Ellis H said:

Can’t remember the specific game but Babayaro was bad enough in it for me to think of him nearly 20 years later for this. Danny Simpson also had some games where the other team would constantly attack his side knowing he would back off and never, ever put a tackle in. 

Babayaro was absolute shite, him, bramble, boumsong and carr probably the worst back four you could cobble together.

Danny Simpson went on and won the premier league, must have done something right 

21 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Was that the 2-2 game? Brilliant match that, Gazza and Beardsley fantastic

Didn't Beardsley score a ridiculous goal at the Gallowgate end in that one ?

Just now, JLC said:

Didn't Beardsley score a ridiculous goal at the Gallowgate end in that one ?

Yes! Both goals at the Gallowgate end. Gazza scored a trademark FK and Beardsley (if memory serves) jumped between 2 Everton defenders and slammed it in. It's nearly 40 years ago so memory might be playing tricks. We were beating them 2-1 and they got a late pen.

2 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

I watched his every game m8 he was utterly bereft of talent

He was never a 'good player'

Are you related 😂

Gibb was part of the Newcastle team that won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1969.  199 appearances scoring 12 goals and you think he's one of the worst footballers to play for Newcastle! I suggest a trip to the optician :cool:

Andersson was an improvement on what had gone before with Tomasson and Rush, though Rush worked really hard.

He was very fast but negated it by not being able to do anything once he got there, and by the time he'd controlled the ball and done something with it we'd have been better off having someone slow get there.

Hell! between Tomasson, Dalglish junior, Gudjohnsson, Guivarch, Brady and Rush Andersson was probably the least shit forward Dalglish signed

Cacapa vs Portsmouth is the main one that springs to mind. Riviere was shit for every second he played which makes it hard to pick just one performance

2 hours ago, The Fountain said:

Interesting fact. His daughter is married to Jamie Sterry who once played for us.

I couldn’t believe Riviere was doing backflips and summersaults after scoring against QPR(?) after a 21 goal drought with not even a single contribution. Coffin was sealed at that exact moment. 

Edited by Astroblack

59 minutes ago, Ginola said:

Cacapa vs Portsmouth is the main one that springs to mind. Riviere was shit for every second he played which makes it hard to pick just one performance

That's why I'm trying to stick to, otherwise Kevin Dillon is worth a shout, but cunningly dragged his poor performances out over a season and a half