Duncan Ferguson

Mr. Slugworth

The theory is correct... spend little on a striker and concentrate on defense. But Ferguson? :lol:

Without meaning to sound like HTL/NE5, the theory is incorrect. ;)

We don't need to go spending big money on a striker, simple as.

We need to spend big on the defense.

So if Martins gets injured are you happy with Siberski on his own upfront? With maybe the uber-prolific Dyer alongside him? Goals galore.

All well and good having a good defence, and I agree that we do need a couple of defenders, strikers are more of a necessity. I'm not interested in Owen coming back next season, more bothered about NOW.

We've only scored 23 goals all season, and thats not good enough.

At what point did i say we shouldn't bring in a striker?

By saying 'spend little' implies that its not a priority.

Why?

I'm not saying we don't need a striker, because we do, i'm just saying we shouldn't go blowing our budget on one. We don't need one. Martins/Dyer/Sibierski/Beattie is a striking line-up that is capable of getting us a top-half finish. I wouldnt say that our defense is one that is capable of doing so, despite the fact that it has improved a lot - it ain't sorted.

I'm thinking about the long-term aswell. This season, our target isn't finishing in a European place, because that just isn't realistic, our target is to get into the top half and do well in the cups. And if we bring in a cheap £1/2m striker or even a loaned one, we should achieve that target.

If we go splashing mega-millions on a striker now, we won't be able to improve our defense sufficiently in January, and will probably be struggling for funds in the summer. Meanwhile, we'll have three very expensive strikers fighting for places (Owen, Martins, big-money signing) aswell as Dyer, Sibi and Shola. 

I think he meant more of a stop gap striker, ie not £10-£12m.

Stop-gap until what? Owen gets injured again?

The summer when it will probably be a lot easier to get a quality striker at not such a stupid price.

The theory is correct... spend little on a striker and concentrate on defense. But Ferguson? :lol:

The theory is correct!

We need a top LB and a cheap 'Big Man' Striker squad player to get us through the rest of the season. I hope we might do better than big Dunc though!! Either an up and coming to give what we have a little competition or a slightly past it stop gap will do. How good is Carroll? Sounds ok i'd like to see him play, maybe the answers under our very noses and he's the man!

The theory is correct!

We need a top LB and a cheap 'Big Man' Striker squad player to get us through the rest of the season. I hope we might do better than big Dunc though!! Either an up and coming to give what we have a little competition or a slightly past it stop gap will do. How good is Carroll? Sounds ok i'd like to see him play, maybe the answers under our very noses and he's the man!

He won't get a chance unless marting and sib and dyer get injured ;) then he will come in and score a hat-trick on his debut and Roed will say he isn't ready for the first team and put parker up front.

Guest nufc16

dont think i can ever remember ferguson letting a defender get the better of him in an aerial challenge during his time here.

I remember when we signed Ferguson, i was really pissed off because I genuinely said to my mate a few weeks before that i thought he was the shittest striker in the premiership. I was young and over exaggerating but i thought he was shit. But i thought Shearer and Ferguson were superb together,real shame he was always injured! that goal he scored against Man ure!!!!!!

I honestly dont think Beattie would be a bad shout!

Remind me what he's done since he went to Everton bluebigeek.gif

The only ferguson we'll end up with is Barry, on loan, got a sneaky feeling. Just down the road from where he is now and another crack at the PL with a bigger team blueyes.gif

Guest Imperio

Hmm.. I don't think he could be of any use to us, it would take a few weeks for him to get match fit, then when he is match fit he probably wouldn't be good enough. I'd rather bring in Carroll than bringing has-beens to the club.

Yes, we need a striker but I just don't think Ferguson fits the bill.

The only ferguson we'll end up with is Barry, on loan, got a sneaky feeling. Just down the road from where he is now and another crack at the PL with a bigger team blueyes.gif

well he clearly has done nothing since he went to everton but i dont think he will cost much, he has nothing to lose there will be no pressure on him and at the end of the day it wont matter when he ends up being 3rd choice!

well he clearly has done nothing since he went to everton but i dont think he will cost much, he has nothing to lose there will be no pressure on him and at the end of the day it wont matter when he ends up being 3rd choice!

Beattie would still command big wages though, Loan deal maybe, yes

True, again a good shout although even with owen fit we still need another striker so id rather a permanent deal. I dont want ameobi anywhere near the first team!

True, again a good shout although even with owen fit we still need another striker so id rather a permanent deal. I dont want ameobi anywhere near the first team!

Have to agree on your last point, ameobi FFS, 6' 11" and you couldn't get a chronicle under his feet when he jumps tongue.gif

Guest Pugwash

The defence/striker debate rumbles on. Is there a law saying we can't try to sort both out to some degree?

1.  Newton's Third Law.

2.  Muller Light Law.

3.  The Mint Card Law.

Fergusson? :thdn: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a moderate % of the FEW games he played he was good but even at his peak he had his own physio couch. I don't wish to be disparaging  but a retired hypocondriac is of no value.

Viduka was an alternative but spends more and more time injured.

Why the cheap option anyway.

Look

Owen - when fit no 1

Martins no 2

If we play little and large we currently have Sib with Amoebi to come so from this viewpoint we need 1 big striker. Or at leat 6'0" to replace one of these. Dyer can fill in for now.

Long terrm we need 1 big striker at least and I personally would go for Beattie, keep Sib at seasons end also until Amoebi is fully fit and regains his touch.

This gives us Owen, Beattie, Martins, Amoebi and Sib and two of them will be out at any time.

Result. Buy a decent striker.

For the defence

Moore is retiring at the end of the season.

Carr isn't good enough.

Babayaro has a good game, a few poor games then an injury

Zog is a left back, always has been

But basically we have Taylor, Ramage, Carr, Babayaro, Zog, Huntington, Edgar, Bramble and 5 of those are CB's.

A quality CB bought in will be a great asset by way of supporting Taylor and Ramage and even Bramble. Huntington and Edgar will learn from him too. But that would give us 6 CB's. With our injury record that might be enough.

Result

Buy a quality left back and have Zog as his back up with Edgar the understudy, bearing in mind Zog and Duff are interchangeable. Either let Babayaro go or put Edgar out on loan and possibly Ramage too.

Right back should go to Nobby, he is better than Carr at present. Milner takes the right Midfield with Dyer an option. If we were without Nobby/Carr use the youngsters.

Thats my spending

1xleft back.

1xCB

1x striker.

Fortunately its not my problem.