***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Some useless information about how we've spent our money since Dalglish took over, most of the figures are from nufc.com, the formatting is shite but better than nothing.

Dalglish

Keeper £1,500,000 4.31%

Defender £9,250,000 26.58%

Midfield £14,300,000 41.09%

Forward £9,750,000 28.02%

Gullit

Keeper £750,000                 2.25%

Defender £15,000,000 44.91%

Midfield £9,650,000 28.89%

Forward £8,000,000 23.95%

Robson

Keeper £0                 0.00%

Defender £19,300,000 25.63%

Midfield £39,590,000 52.58%

Forward £16,400,000 21.78%

Souness

Defender £9,000,000 18.26%

Midfield £13,800,000 27.99%

Forward £26,500,000 53.75%

Roeder

Defender £0                 0.00%

Midfield £5,000,000 33.03%

Forward £10,140,000 66.97%

All

Keeper £2,250,000 1.08%

Defender £52,550,000 25.27%

Midfield £82,340,000 39.60%

Forward £70,790,000 34.05%

It's pointless arguing over what's more important. We need a striker and we need two defenders and if either area goes ignored we are totally buggered. The squad is at breaking point with 5 months of the season left and we're still in three competitions.

Where it comes to allocating the most money, I would put it into defence. Good strikers usually cost more than good defenders and it's going to be tough to bring in a quality striker when everyone knows there is a place waiting for Owen when he returns. Not only that but we have potentially two central defenders leaving in the summer as Moore and Bramble are in the last year of their contracts.

I don't see Freddy spending much on a left back. He has never paid much attention to the full back positions, we have one right back and one left back in our squad and they cost a combined total of £3m. Before them, our full backs were freebies (Hughes and Bernard) and Griffin cost a mighty £1.5m.

I do hope we invest in a proven top quality centre half to play alongside Taylor. Who we could attract I don't know. We could do with a powerful yet composed centre back like Jorge Andrade, someone capable of bringing the ball out of defence. I'm not a fan of this last-gasp Ramage defending where the ball gets punted straight back to the opposition, it's a habit we badly need to get out of (espescially given the lack of height in the team).

It's pointless arguing over what's more important. We need a striker and we need two defenders and if either area goes ignored we are totally buggered. The squad is at breaking point with 5 months of the season left and we're still in three competitions.

Where it comes to allocating the most money, I would put it into defence. Good strikers usually cost more than good defenders and it's going to be tough to bring in a quality striker when everyone knows there is a place waiting for Owen when he returns. Not only that but we have potentially two central defenders leaving in the summer as Moore and Bramble are in the last year of their contracts.

I don't see Freddy spending much on a left back. He has never paid much attention to the full back positions, we have one right back and one left back in our squad and they cost a combined total of £3m. Before them, our full backs were freebies (Hughes and Bernard) and Griffin cost a mighty £1.5m.

I do hope we invest in a proven top quality centre half to play alongside Taylor. Who we could attract I don't know. We could do with a powerful yet composed centre back like Jorge Andrade, someone capable of bringing the ball out of defence. I'm not a fan of this last-gasp Ramage defending where the ball gets punted straight back to the opposition, it's a habit we badly need to get out of (espescially given the lack of height in the team).

If we could get Beattie on loan then I'd take him like a shot, we could look as him to see how he fits in then make a decision on him in the summer once everybody was fit.

I think we'll have to look at one or two loan deals just to pad the squad out. I'm not a big Beattie fan but on loan I'd take him in order to spend more money elsewhere. I don't see Everton loaning to us though, they're still only 6 points ahead of us. If we can't get any from England then we should be looking to the continent.

Spurs got Mido on loan from Roma before buying him, I'm sure there are other similar players out there.

I think we'll have to look at one or two loan deals just to pad the squad out. I'm not a big Beattie fan but on loan I'd take him in order to spend more money elsewhere.

I don't see Everton loaning to us though, they're still only 6 points ahead of us.

I'd go for somebody with experience rather than another kid who is only here to get games under his belt before returning to his club.  Beattie might not work but I wouldn't mind finding out, he's not prolific but he's got a hell of a shot on him and does a lot for the team, others would benefit from his running and hassling.

I was just being a c*** and not really reading your post tbh.

I'm not sure on our budget this transfer window, but I would like too see us sign someone who will get some goals, and someone who can defend. If I had the choice of one or the other it would be a striker. Having a good defence means nothing if you can't score goals, it would just be shite 0-0 games like against Charlton.

I'd take Viduka, but not Beattie, I think Moyes would want 4-5 mill for him, whereas he has done F*** all since he had that good 18 month at Southampton.

I'd even take someone like Vassell just till the end of the season. As long as we don't rely on Femi.

:thup:

I agree with HTL, in how anyone can fill in at left back/right back but not many can fill in upfront.

E.g Solano is doing an OK job at right back.

I'd spend 4 million on a striker or so, and flog Luque for anything over 1 mill. Try and pick up a cheap left and right back, and a centre half.

Last week it was "Nigel Pearson is a defensive coach God!" this week we are shite

Agreed. That is the way to do it, the bulk of any transfer funds this Jan has to go on a proven striker, not on defenders despite the injury problems.

Good post apart from the daft bit in bold.

The manager chooses the players, not Fred. He tries to bring to the club the players the manager asks for. When Robson asked for Woodgate Fred went out and did the deal. When gullitt wanted to sign 3 defenders the Board did the deal. When Dalglish wanted to lash out what was then a lot of money on a young Pistone, the Board did the deal.

How many times do people have to be told this well known and bloody obvious business practice? If Roeder wants to sign defenders I'm sure Fred will back him up.

Anyone reckon we can get Upson, or will another Prem club beat us to him ? He will not be signing a new deal at Brum, we should be gettign in there now!

Matthew Upson could spark a major bidding war after the player's agent revealed the player will not be signing a new deal at Birmingham.

The former Arsenal star is being chased by a number of clubs including Liverpool, Portsmouth, Tottenham and Aston Villa as he looks to leave St Andrews.

Upson's current contract expires at the end of the season and Birmingham could be forced to cash in on him rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer.

The player's representative Barry Nevill confirmed Upson was seeking to move on and would turn down Birmingham's offer of a new deal.

"Matthew will not be signing a new contract at Birmingham," Nevill told the News of the World.

"He believes his future lies elsewhere and has ambitions to play at the highest level.

"Even if Birmingham make him an offer he can't refuse ... he will refuse it!"

However, Blues chairman David Gold is not giving up hope of keeping Upson at St Andrews and believes the central defender can achieve his ambitions at the club.

"He is desperate for success," said Gold. "Yet unless one of the top four come in for him, he has as much chance of achieving it here, once we are back, as with any other Premiership club.

"But if we get the right offer, we'll consider it."

I agree with HTL, in how anyone can fill in at left back/right back but not many can fill in upfront.

E.g Solano is doing an OK job at right back.

I'd spend 4 million on a striker or so, and flog Luque for anything over 1 mill. Try and pick up a cheap left and right back, and a centre half.

Last week it was "Nigel Pearson is a defensive coach God!" this week we are shite

Agreed. That is the way to do it, the bulk of any transfer funds this Jan has to go on a proven striker, not on defenders despite the injury problems.

I think we sould do the exact opposite!

Why?

Because how many times this season we were ahead and after that we lost because our defence cant hold on with the lead we have

1. Fulham PREM L 1-2

2.      Everton PREM D 1-1

3.      Bolton PREM L 1-2 

4.      Arsenal PREM D 1-1

5.      Bolton PREM L 1-2

Thats 13 points we lost because of this!!!

And the games against Fulham,Everton and the 2 games with Bolton we were dominating and we should have won if our defence was any good

Im not saying that we dont need strikers.We need 2 at least but i think that our defence is as important as the attack

One striker,left back,central defender and loan striker would be nice IMO

The manager chooses the players, not Fred. He tries to bring to the club the players the manager asks for. When Robson asked for Woodgate Fred went out and did the deal. When gullitt wanted to sign 3 defenders Fred went out and did the deal. When Dalglish wanted to lash out what was then a lot of money on a young Pistone, Fred went out and did the deal.

How many times do people have to be told this well known and bloody obvious business practice? If Roeder wants to sign defenders I'm sure Fred will back him up.

Didn't Robson ask for Miguel and we got Carr?

Aye in Jan, we need a striker that is proven in this league, absolutely no doubt about it. But that doesn't mean that we need to go splashing £6/7/8m on someone like Bent or Crouch or someone else of that sort. We simply do not need it. We need one striker for when Rossi leaves, a simple replacement - and plus, when you think forward to next season - Owen and Shola come back. We simply do not need another top quality striker. Look forward to August 2007 and this is what we'll have, say if we do spend £7m on Peter Crouch:

Michael Owen

Obafemi Martins

Peter Crouch

Shola Ameobi

Antoine Sibierski

Kieron Dyer

... All whom are capable of doing a job, and more, in the forward position. That's more than we need. Then we'll have the same defenders as this season, except maybe one cheap, crappy one whom we recruited in January. And we'll be struggling for defensive bodies and funds in August, once again, due to the fact that we've gone for an expensive striker in January that we didn't need.

I'd much rather we concentrated our, probably slim, January budget on the defense, rather than the attack. If Beattie was available on loan, or Viduka was available for £1m or so, or someone else in that sort of situation - i'd snap their hand off and then focus on improving the defense. If we were to do that, we'd have this attacking line-up to choose from:

Obafemi Martins

Kieron Dyer

Antoine Sibierski

Beattie/Viduka/whoever we bring in on the cheap

Owen potentially coming back in March

... We'd be fine. And we'd have a couple of good defenders in the squad aswell, which is what we crave.

The manager chooses the players, not Fred. He tries to bring to the club the players the manager asks for. When Robson asked for Woodgate Fred went out and did the deal. When gullitt wanted to sign 3 defenders Fred went out and did the deal. When Dalglish wanted to lash out what was then a lot of money on a young Pistone, Fred went out and did the deal.

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

Erm, I feel dirty, but I agree completely with NE5! ;)

Newcastle

What they need?

Right-back, left-back, centre-back, striker. Judging by the injury crisis, maybe an entire new squad.

What have they got to spend?

Tough to tell. Figures of £12m have been bandied about for Peter Crouch, so that suggests the club have money to burn, although fans will be hoping the spending is sensible. Manager Glenn Roeder seems to be favouring players from the lower leagues, with Southampton's Gareth Bale and Derby's Giles Barnes mentioned by him recently.

Who have they been linked with?

Gareth Bale, Giles Barnes, Peter Crouch, Joey Barton, Stephen Warnock, Tal Ben Haim, Wayne Bridge, David Nugent, Matthew Upson, Shaun Wright-Phillips

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6216545.stm

Well thats a little different to how HTL described it isn't it? We were talking about the chairman not paying out for full backs but apparently its up to the manager to ask for the players he wants and then the chairman apparently goes out and gets them.

Well thats a little different to how HTL described it isn't it? We were talking about the chairman not paying out for full backs but apparently its up to the manager to ask for the players he wants and then the chairman apparently goes out and gets them.

IF he can. I understand what HTL means and I suspect you do too, or maybe not.  Personally if the "shite board" gives Roeder 10m to spend in Januray and he spends 5 or 6m of it on a quality full back then he's a fookin idiot. He should be spending that sort of money on an out and out forward and looking for a bargain midfield player and a left back with the rest, or even another forward. And if he can't get them there is no point in moaning about planning or any other such shite because this is the real world and it doesn't work like that.

I have little doubt that the manager will target the areas he wants, or other quality players that come available, and it will be his strategy and his "plan", not yours, mine or anyone else's. I say this because you should still look ahead, if Emre is going to go then turning down a better player such as Barton when he is available would be daft too. The essence of the team is they need to be better in possession and going forward and a well organised defence would do better, as they were during the last few weeks when Pearson was hailed as a defensive genius etc etc blah blah blah but all of a sudden we have the worst defence in the history of football again.

Then again, I have seen such u-turns before. It isn't so long ago that Ameobi was hailed as the next England centre forward, Boumsong would fill Woodgates position well and Luque the same ref Bellamy/Robert or who the hell he was supposed to replace.

It is important the club do not get sucked into the relegation fight again, and if nobody scores goals that is what will happen. Anywhere else is welcomed but it is for the longer term, so what money we have for the moment should be used for a quality forward who will guarantee going straight into the team and performing from day 1.