***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Haven't a clue, which is good because it shows the club is keeping things private and doing things properly.

I expect more late deals than early deals, so if we sign any players not deemed to be the players people would like we'll get the 'bad planning' stuff back to the top again. However, all clubs, players and agents will want the best deal they can get, so this is a pretty logical way for it to work out.

Bale and Barnes  blueconfused.gif

Roeder did say their was no point in hiding it as so many clubs are intrested in them.

Do you believe that every player linked with the club is of genuine interest to the club? Some will be and some won't be.

Of course, but Roeder only confirmed his intrests in Bale and Barnes as so many clubs are after them it would do our chances of getting them no harm if he was to confirm it.

But it didn't even looked like he was asked about those two, his answer was something like "the only championship players im interested in are Bale and Barnes" not exactly keeping club business private.

:roll:

All he's saying is there are a couple of players he thinks are good players. Doesn't mean we're going to sign them. The business of the actual players the club may be actively trying to sign IS private right now.

:roll:

Bit more than saying he thinks they are good player tbh:

"The only two players I am interested in from the Championship are Giles Barnes and Gareth Bale," Roeder said.

"They are two outstanding talents and the sort of players we should be looking at - and by admitting our interest, we're are not giving away any secrets because a lot of top clubs fancy them.

But it didn't even looked like he was asked about those two, his answer was something like "the only championship players im interested in are Bale and Barnes" not exactly keeping club business private.

Well compare that to the last bloke at the helm and he's looking like Secret Squirrel.

Like I said, there was no harm in him confirming his intrests in Bale and Barnes due to the amount of high profile clubs who are also intrested in them.

Well compare that to the last bloke at the helm and he's looking like Secret Squirrel.

Like I said, there was no harm in him confirming his intrests in Bale and Barnes due to the amount of high profile clubs who are also intrested in them.

I know what you mean, im just pointing out we arent exactly keeping our business private in this case. From his wording it doesn't even look like he was out about any specific player just the championship in general so he could have kept that info to himself. Just because a few clubs are also looking at them it doesn't mean we should be making our interest known aswell.

Aye, no harm. Still doesn't mean the club is conducting transfer negotiations in public.

I know what you mean, im just pointing out we arent exactly keeping our business private in this case. From his wording it doesn't even look like he was out about any specific player just the championship in general so he could have kept that info to himself. Just because a few clubs are also looking at them it doesn't mean we should be making our interest known aswell.

But all he has done has confirmed his intrest in two players that a few clubs are after, that's not exactly giving much away is it? I bet most clubs in the PL have cast an eye over Bale and Barnes.

Not to mention the fact Roeder could be playing a bluff by bascially saying he isn't looking at any players (bar 2) in the championship when he is....

There is no confirmation the club has actively made any approach for those two players, they are conducting transfer deals in private.

Fair enough, as said though it doesn't even look like he was asked about the two, he chose to tell the media of his interest rather than having the info forced out of him.

So what!!!!

It doesn't mean the club is conducting transfer negotiations in public. He rates those players, he may want to sign them. There might just as easily be some players Roeder is interested in who haven't been mentioned anywhere yet. We don't know. Or at least, I don't know. Perhaps you do.

Fair enough, as said though it doesn't even look like he was asked about the two, he chose to tell the media of his interest rather than having the info forced out of him.

We've never conducted transfer business in public, those comments between " & " mean nothing. bluebiggrin.gif

To be fair to Roeder, he did keep the Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard transfers under wraps until they had signed.

So what!!!!

It doesn't mean the club is conducting transfer negotiations in public. He rates those players, he may want to sign them. There might just as easily be some players Roeder is interested in who haven't been mentioned anywhere yet. We don't know. Or at least, I don't know. Perhaps you do.

So because he hasn't told us ALL of the players that interest him he is keeping his cards close to his chest?  :thup:

We've never conducted transfer business in public, those comments between " & " mean nothing. bluebiggrin.gif

To be fair to Roeder, he did keep the Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard transfers under wraps until they had signed.

Duff as well.

So what!!!!

So because he hasn't told us ALL of the players that interest him he is keeping his cards close to his chest?  :thup:

What is your point mate? Overall, like? Is this yet another slagfest of the club you're coming up with? I'm just curious, like. The manager announces he rates a couple of players so are you going to slag the club for not signing these players next month, whether or not an approach is actually made, like.  bluelaugh.gif

Over the years we've signed loads of players who hadn't been mentioned in the media prior to the signing. We've also signed plenty of players who were openly admired by the manager prior to signing them. So what.... Some you sign, some you don't.

So what!!!!

What is your point mate? Overall, like? Is this yet another slagfest of the club you're coming up with? I'm just curious, like. The manager announces he rates a couple of players so are you going to slag the club for not signing these players next month, whether or not an approach is actually made, like.  bluelaugh.gif

Over the years we've signed loads of players who hadn't been mentioned in the media prior to the signing. We've also signed plenty of players who were openly admired by the manager prior to signing them. So what.... Some you sign, some you don't.

Nope never said that but suprise suprise HTL makes something up again.

Here are the FACTS for you...

You said you have no idea who we might sign as the club are doing their business in private, I said that we do have some idea who we MIGHT sign as Roeder has admitted an interest in two players.

End of, no bullshit of me slagging the club or using this to slag the club in future.

Is it really that hard to understand things these days?

You said you have no idea who we might sign as the club are doing their business in private, I said that we do have some idea who we MIGHT sign as Roeder has admitted an interest in two players.

End of, no bullshit of me slagging the club or using this to slag the club in future.

It is for these two.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4725/ne5andbrotherno0.th.jpg

Guest sicko2ndbest

Roeder keen to pinch Woodgate from neighbours

By MARTIN HARDY of Daily Mail

Last updated at 19:36pm on 27th December 2006

Reader comments (0)

Wanted man in the north east: Both his loan club Middlesbrough and Newcastle are keen to sign the Real Madrid defender on a permanent basis

Jonathan Woodgate's imperious form has caught the attention of Newcastle bosses, who could now move for their former defender.

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate has admitted he fears his club may struggle to hold on to the Real Madrid defender.

Woodgate has signed a season long loan at the Riverside which is likely to prevent any move from their injury-ravaged neighbours in January. But despite there being a provisional four-year permanent deal to take Woodgate to his hometown club, doubts remain about his long-term future.

Fabio Capello has refused to rule out the possibility of Woodgate returning to the Bernabeu, and that remains the player’s first choice.

Woodgate started just 12 games in his two seasons in the Spanish capital. Despite learning the language and adapting to the culture, the 26-year-old was unable to justify why £13.4m Real had been spent on him.

But a new training regime has worked wonders and Woodgate has hardly missed a game or put a foot wrong since his return to English football. He has spoken repeatedly of his desire to return to Real and that threat hangs over Middlesbrough’s efforts to retain the player on a permanent basis.

But Newcastle, who had first option on Woodgate in the summer, are now monitoring the situation. They felt his injury record could not justify a further gamble at that time, but the form that will surely gain an international recall from Steve McClaren next year and the amount of games he has played, has caught their eye.

The Newcastle hierarchy has retained a strong relationship with Woodgate and is ready to fight their north-east neighbours should Madrid resist the temptation to take him back.

That would create a predicament for Woodgate, who recently has expressed his desire to be playing in the Champions League. Southgate said: "I don't know what Real's position will be at the end of the season. Jonathan wanted to come here in order to get a season's football under his belt but we can't hide the fact that we would like him to stay into the future.

"If we are to do that, we have to show him that our ambitions match his. I know that he enjoys his football at Middlesbrough and, as well as he is playing, we know there is more to come from him. So I would love to think that his future in football lies at Middlesbrough.

"There is no doubt in my mind Woodgate's ability as a defender is as good as anyone's in the country. He is having the run of games that everybody has been waiting for him to have." Newcastle could do with Woodgate now, given that their defence has been decimated by injury. For the visit of Everton on Saturday they will be without Celestine Babayaro (hamstring), Titus Bramble (calf), Stephen Carr (knee), Craig Moore, Nolberto Solano (both groin) and Steve Harper (hernia).

Shay Given is still struggling with a groin problem and Tim Krul is only just recovering from knee surgery. Glenn Roeder could again have to turn to the rookie back four he used at Bolton, with David Edgar, Peter Ramage, Steven Taylor and Paul Huntington having an average age of just over 20.

Roeder said: "The back four was a back four of babies and I mean that in the kindest way, in that it was a very inexperienced back four but all of them did their very best."

Kieron Dyer meanwhile will play through the gruelling Christmas period, despite not being 100 per cent fit. "It is still like a pre-season for me," he said. "To be honest, after 70 minutes against Tottenham, I had nothing left in the tank. "I held my hand up and told the manager, and he and the medical staff took it out of my hands and decided the maximum I would play against Bolton was 55 minutes. "But, if I can get through this Christmas period, then I should be 100 per cent fit and able to go all guns blazing from there."

Haven't a clue, which is good because it shows the club is keeping things private and doing things properly.

I expect more late deals than early deals, so if we sign any players not deemed to be the players people would like we'll get the 'bad planning' stuff back to the top again. However, all clubs, players and agents will want the best deal they can get, so this is a pretty logical way for it to work out.

Exactly. January 2nd, 2003, the Chronicle first reported we made bids for Terry & Woodgate. Wasn't until January 30th that we actually signed Woodgate.

If we don't have anyone new through the door within the first half of the month i'll be slightly annoyed. We've had four months or so to conduct any transfer arrangements, etc, aswell as January itself. It's a pathetic show of management/chairmanship if we're doing deals on the last day again.

13th January: Mark Viduka - £2m

So what!!!!

What have I made up, jon?

Don't you know what a question mark is, mate? There are 3 of them at the end of the first 3 sentences in my post. If you don't know what they signify just ask and I'll tell you.

If we don't have anyone new through the door within the first half of the month i'll be slightly annoyed. We've had four months or so to conduct any transfer arrangements, etc, aswell as January itself. It's a pathetic show of management/chairmanship if we're doing deals on the last day again.

13th January: Mark Viduka - £2m

Seriously?

Some deals may go through, but you'll be surprised and pissed off if some players don't move until the last moment while waiting out for the best possible deal they can get?

Just a question. Do you think the club should up the ante to get a player early? Pay over the odds, or something, in either transfer fee or player wages to get the deal done 2 weeks sooner?