Is SWP right for Newcastle

Guest nufc 4 life
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SWP is still a class player (Man shity days), he just doesn't see the field at chelsea.  i would have him at NUFC in a heartbeat if we had the chance.  he's got fantastic pace and an attacking creativity that we so desperately need!!

once he starts getting games under his belt the form will return    :thup:

He is a quality player that would add to nay squad, a loan deal would be perfect for us as he would not be cheap to buy.

Come the end of the season if he does prove his worht it would then be money well spent if you could buy him, the down side with a loan deal is, if he plays really well Chelski would want him back, as we did with Milner and Villa.

No end of story.

He was a good player when he went to Chelsea but he seems well off form at the moment.

He's not what we need, we have Milner in his position in great form, a player who's constantly worked hard for us (despite really shoddy treatment), who deserves to keep his place.

It's spending cash which would by far be better spent on other positions where we are actually short of personnel.

I'd have him on loan as he can play left or right wing. Milner could stay on the right and SWP could play on the left as N'Zogbia/Duff are both injured at the moment. If he's not in form drop him when N'Zogbia/Duff are fit. He'd be cover for Milner on the right. He could also be back up for Martins.

It will be fucking silly to stop letting Milner playing regularly.

He's finally showing improvement after 3 years and now is the critical time for him to raise his class.

Let Milner play as much as he can and we can have a top class winger for the next few seasons.

Milner has the potential, he worths the investment, so no thanks.

Hammers in SWP talks

By Graeme Bailey -  Created on 8 Jan 2007

Skysports.com understands Shaun Wright-Phillips has held talks with West Ham.

A host of clubs are looking to land the England winger but The Hammers - fresh from their recent takeover - are flush with cash and are ready to match Chelsea's demands - which are in excess of £10million.

Newcastle, Aston Villa, Manchester City and Portsmouth are all very keen - but they would all be loan deals initially and Chelsea are more inclined to take the cash.

It is believed a deal between West Ham and Chelsea is very close, which is why Wright-Phillips has been given permission to talk terms.

At this point it is not known how keen Wright-Phillips is on a move to East London - but the relegation-threatened Hammers will be hoping to convince the 25-year-old to make the switch.

Since appointing Alan Curbishley as manager, West Ham have been quick to bolster their squad - having already snapped up Luis Boa Morte from Fulham.

As well as Wright-Phillips, it is understood the club are also closing on West Brom's Nigel Quashie.

Quashie is believed to be holding talks with The Hammers and could represent a double midfield capture with Russian star Alexei Smertin set to be confirmed as a West Ham player this week.

I'm a bit divided on this one.

This would be a bit of a trophy signing (even on loan) and certainly wouldn't be the answer to our problems.

If we got him it could prove to be the inspired deal of the season, but probably wouldn't. I always felt SWP was a bit overrated even during his best season at Man City and I said so at the time. It's not a big surprise that he's failed at Chelsea, because he does lose the ball a lot and Mourinho doesn't tolerate this.

There are some players who have a couple of big seasons and never recover that form. Look at James Beattie. SWP made a name for himself as a talented youngster quite late on in his career, at about 23 if I remember correctly he was suddenly on fire. That's not normal and after two excellent seasons his form has suddenly nosedived, probably due to a lack of games but possibly because he's not as good as everyone thought he was. He has the makings of another James Beattie, people forget Shaun is 25 now and it is important we do our research on this one and are strong enough to say no if we feel he's not worth it. SWP is an out-of-form big name who would be coming here to get games above all else. To give him games we'd have to drop an in-form youngster who has become popular with the fans recently and deserves his place in the team.

That said he's a body and with our extremely limited squad (and probably money too) it's hard to pass up the opportunity of loaning a player of SWP's calibre. I wouldn't be disappointed with his signature, but I'd see it as a gamble. Perhaps with our problems lying in different areas we would do better to concentrate on other positions and keep the wingers we have.