Glenn Hopeful on Defender Decision

Skirge

Guest Gemmill

"I am aware of this player but he is not a player I am trying to sign."

That's nice dear.

Fucks sake, even Boro have managed to sign somebody.

Yeah I guy who has failed in Europe once already. Christ people seem to want us to just sign for the sake of signing, not sure why.

I'd say it's for the sake of improving a paper-thin squad personally.

IMHO I hope we don't sign anyone in this transfer window lets be honest there is nobody available who is better than what we have who will come for a decent fee. Safe the money for the summer and splash out on someone really special for the defence.

I would say there are at least a few players who have already moved who are better than what we have. Montella on loan to Fulham for one is surely better than Sibierski?

Why improve on the Sibierski's in our squad we should be looking to improve the first teamers.

That's nice dear.

Yeah I guy who has failed in Europe once already. Christ people seem to want us to just sign for the sake of signing, not sure why.

I'd say it's for the sake of improving a paper-thin squad personally.

I'd rather leave the young players in than waste money on the likes of Lee Dong-gook or another Boumsong and Luque, oh dear expect another 150 page thread now I've called Luque.

IMHO I hope we don't sign anyone in this transfer window lets be honest there is nobody available who is better than what we have who will come for a decent fee. Safe the money for the summer and splash out on someone really special for the defence.

I agree, apart from I would be looking at short-term loans.

That's nice dear.

No, people want signings because we are desperately in need of bodies, and it is up to Glenn and his master to find the right players and bring them in. That is their job.

You can keep harping on about nobody being out there, but seriously, the idea that there is absolutely nobody out there that can improve the squad is just mind blowingly ridiculous.

ROEDER SHOULD HAVE BEEN SPEAKING TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT F**KIN MONTHS AGO, NOT LESS THAN A WEEK BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES!!!

Who says he wasn't ? And please stop shouting makes you look like a tit.

Well he clearly told AO yesterday that he was hopeful of bringing in Gavrancic. So go figure.

No he didn't he said (and this is quoted from AO so I would take it very much with a pinch of salt) "Glenn Roeder is trying to bring a top international defender to Newcastle United in the next couple of days.

The United boss is in negotiations with the central defender's club to get him to Tyneside by the weekend with the view to a loan deal.

But Roeder admitted today there was still some work to be done on getting the player to St James' Park.

He told me today: "We are talking to the player's club and we are hoping they will release him to come here, and we will find out in the next 48 hours.

Oh, so that wasn't Gavrancic, even though Roeder today makes it clear that the mystery 48-hour man now isn't coming . . .

I apologise for drawing the only logical conclusion.

Guest Gemmill

I'm slightly concerned at Roeder's ability to assess a player tbh.  We get within 48 hours of signing the bloke with Roeder "hopeful that the player will come across" before someone has to actually tell him that he's not as good as what we've got.  I mean fucking hell, that's a bit of a concern.

I'm slightly concerned at Roeder's ability to assess a player tbh.  We get within 48 hours of signing the bloke with Roeder "hopeful that the player will come across" before someone has to actually tell him that he's not as good as what we've got.  I mean fucking hell, that's a bit of a concern.

Spoken for truth.

Guest Gemmill

I suspect Kiev never wanted to let him go, so Roeder is now trying to save his own face by saying that he didn't want the bloke anyway.

Saving face by saying that news has filtered through to him that the player he was on the verge of signing is crap?

Me too. Just a tad. :lol:

What I don't get is the handling of the transfer window. We should have sounded out our targets in December, very early January at the latest. But if we are now in stages where we are waiting for the reactions of clubs then it is ridiculous bad "planning" :lol: :lol: :lol:.  After another transfer-window farce looming I'm even more for the idea of a director of football or similar figure dealing with daily business.

That's nice dear.

No, people want signings because we are desperately in need of bodies, and it is up to Glenn and his master to find the right players and bring them in. That is their job.

You can keep harping on about nobody being out there, but seriously, the idea that there is absolutely nobody out there that can improve the squad is just mind blowingly ridiculous.

Championship players who have no experience are being touted for £10m and I'm yet to hear of a really big defender who is available, unless you have ?

Our scouting network, or rather the lack of it, is what concerns me most of all.

I'm slightly concerned at Roeder's ability to assess a player tbh.  We get within 48 hours of signing the bloke with Roeder "hopeful that the player will come across" before someone has to actually tell him that he's not as good as what we've got.  I mean fucking hell, that's a bit of a concern.

Our scouting network, or rather the lack of it, is what concerns me most of all.

I agree with this, we seem to have the only reserve/youth team in the league which includes hardly any players from other countries. The likes of Arsenal are getting great really young players from all over the globe and it's paying off.

That's nice dear.

Championship players who have no experience are being touted for £10m and I'm yet to hear of a really big defender who is available, unless you have ?

Not having access to the NUFC fax machine or any agents numbers readily at hand, I wouldn't a clue.

Nevertheless, I'll repeat it, your idea that there is absolutely nobody out there that can improve the squad is just mind numbingly ridiculous.

After a desperate summer they have had plenty of time to draw their plans together and look a little less shambolic this time around. But sadly (and I really hope it is all an act) Glenn still seems to be fumbling around phoning around for opinions on players at this late stage, and aparently having trouble getting anywhere.

That's nice dear.

Not having access to the NUFC fax machine or any agents numbers readily at hand, I wouldn't a clue.

Nevertheless, I'll repeat it, your idea that there is absolutely nobody out there that can improve the squad is just mind numbingly ridiculous.

After a desperate summer they have had plenty of time to draw their plans together and look a little less shambolic this time around. But sadly (and I really hope it is all an act) Glenn still seems to be fumbling around phoning around for opinions on players at this late stage, and aparently having trouble getting anywhere.

Amen

Although I don't think its an act!

Has anyone actually said this Serbian Guy is the same guy we were close to signing? Other than conjecture.

We have been linked with 3 players today that have played some kind of international football. Just because this link surfaces now doesnt mean he is the guy we were talking about yesterday.

Why the guarded secret, he is hardly in demand.

The fact is if a player is good enough he'll be playing at the minute and his club won't want to sell that where I get this idea that there is nobody who will improve the squad. It's a whole different story in the summer but at the minute if you want an unproven talent who might come good you have to pay £10m+ for them, in the summer you will get a great experienced player for the same price and the unproven talent for probably half the price.

Guest Gemmill

Has anyone actually said this Serbian Guy is the same guy we were close to signing? Other than conjecture.

We have been linked with 3 players today that have played some kind of international football. Just because this link surfaces now doesnt mean he is the guy we were talking about yesterday.

Well yesterday he was hopeful of having a player in within 48 hours, today he is specifically ruling out one player and saying that we're still hopeful of signings by next Wednesday. I'd say from that that it's pretty clear that this was our 48 hour man.  You can call it coincidence but one minute we're 48 hours from signing a player, then Roeder pulls out of signing a player and simultaneously stops mentioning this 48 hour player. I think we can make the leap in this instance.