Newcastle and Man City table £250,000 Braafheid bid - DENIED

James

Just saw that myself. No idea if he's any good. I see a bit of the Dutch league on TV here and it's really not good stuff, Twente aren't exactly a top side either.

That he played for the Holland U21s means very little. They're a good side, but they're very heavy on technique and light on physique. Indeed I'd guess that any defender coming to the Premiership from Holland is in for a bit of a shock in their first few games.

So for me at least an unknown quantity. But my prediction of loan signings and people we've never heard of is looking good...

As long as he can tackle, use his brain, pass a ball 5 yards and produce good consistent crosses, then he can be as weak as he likes.

Just saw that myself. No idea if he's any good. I see a bit of the Dutch league on TV here and it's really not good stuff, Twente aren't exactly a top side either.

That he played for the Holland U21s means very little. They're a good side, but they're very heavy on technique and light on physique. Indeed I'd guess that any defender coming to the Premiership from Holland is in for a bit of a shock in their first few games.

So for me at least an unknown quantity. But my prediction of loan signings and people we've never heard of is looking good...

What is that?

All wikipedia says is that he was in Holland's U21 World Cup winning squad, is a left back, is 23, plays for Utrecht and is Surinam born. Surinam players are generally more physical than the average Dutchman, so physicality issues may not be a worry.

Article from the Dutch Telegraff at http://www.soccernews.nl/news/23975 my bad translation follows...

FC Utrecht defender Edson Braafheid is close to a transfer to England. Newcastle United and Manchester City have bid? to FC Utrecht for the leftback learns the Telegraaf. The two English clubs will pay 400k euros for Braafheid to sign straightaway.

braafheid expected last week to go to FC Twente, but at the last moment said that he couldn't take the step. On the office website communicated FC Twente that a contract had been signed. The club trainer Fred Rutten wanted Braafheid to come in the summer for no transfer fee.

FC Utrecht have acknowledged that the youth international cannot count on much playing time at the Domstedelingen. Coach Fooke Booy has been leaving the player out of the selection (possibly just since the deal with Twente, not clear). The defender discovered from the trainer that he had a deal with FC Twente but only nearly. (not sure about the last sentence at all)

That he played for the Holland U21s means very little. They're a good side, but they're very heavy on technique

What is that?

You know when a player trys to trap a ball and it bounces two yards away and the defender nicks it? That's not having technique.

You know when a player trys to trap a ball and the defender tries to nick it only to discover he's just been beaten? That's good technique.

Add similar analogies for being able to make the ball do what you want it to in other situations, shooting, passing, etc. Also tackling without fouling, getting distance on defensive headers.

I suspect this is a long running thing though, so I'll shut up now.

News to me...I had heard we were intererested in another dutch left back (I think he's called Tim de Cler?), but we've already had 2 LB over on trial this month...we're are definetly in the market for one so its probably true that we're interested. I presume that getting a mention in the same article means your interest is true too. Never heard of this guy tho.

PS: Physique: http://www.stichtinggo-all.nl/edson.jpg

All wikipedia says is that he was in Holland's U21 World Cup winning squad, is a left back, is 23, plays for Utrecht and is Surinam born. Surinam players are generally more physical than the average Dutchman, so physicality issues may not be a worry.

The way you word things is a constant source of pleasure to me. Keep up the good work.

(That's not sarcasm, btw.)

Braafheid was mint on PES5... let's get him!

He is my first choice left-back on Pro Evo, is quality after a couple of seasons improvment! Excellent getting forward and solid in defence.

Not sure that has any relation to his real world ability though  ???

Is he still good on PES6? He was the bollocks on 5.

He is my first choice left-back on Pro Evo, is quality after a couple of seasons improvment! Excellent getting forward and solid in defence.

Not sure that has any relation to his real world ability though  ???

Is he still good on PES6? He was the bollocks on 5.

Yeah, I think he's worth a punt. Is being run close for a starting place by Carlos Rodriguez, who's actually more of a winger (but I like v attacking fullbacks!)

I hadn't heard of him in real life when I bought him though, had to do a google search to find out who he was.

Another tip, Ryan Babel, by the age of 26 he becomes unstoppable! (Sorry, a bit off topic there)

Heh, it was exactly the same on PES5. Babel and Braafheid were mint.

Anyway, we surely can't advocate signing him because of that! 250k seem awfully cheap.

He looks big as well, and I have a penchant for the larger man.

Anyway, we surely can't advocate signing him because of that! 250k seem awfully cheap.

You're right we can't, but it seems as good as any of our existing scouting policies. In fact, maybe we bought Luque because of PES, he's useful on that!

Oh aye, you little tart.