Most disappointing toon player

Liam Liam Liam O

Did you not watch him the 18 months before he came to us?

That was why people didn't want him, he was just about the worse defender in the premiership the season before he joined us.

He was living on the hype of a good first half of the 2000-01 season and the fact that Ipswich did incredibly well.

:kermit:

Big Dunc, could have been a great, then Luque, Boumsong and Viana, although the latter can't be faulted for his failures, he had a good first season and was played as a winger in his second.

Viana played the first season always on the left. That was the season Robert had 2-3 injuries and Viana started about 20 games all on the left-wing, and was okay.

Cort,Viana,Luque,Boumsong

£33m spend on them

All came with great expectations but all of them were big dissapointments

When i think that we spend  £33m for 4 players :idiot2: :idiot2:

I still cant understand why SBR signed Viana for almost £9m when at that time we had Robert who was playing great for us?

Because Viana's a centre midfielder and at the time was rated as one of the hottest prospects of continental football.

He won European Young Player of the Year ,the season before he joined us and we beat alot of big clubs to his siganture I seem to remember, such as Juventus at the time. I think his game is suited to the slow pace of Italian football rather than Spanish and especially the EPL.

And as already mentioned, he was never supposed to compete with Robert for the left wing spot. He was not a left winger in the slightest even though we shunted him out there. His best position was in the hole behind the striker(s) with a proper defensive midfieler doing all the donkey work (which we didnt have) ......and most EPL teams including ours don't play with that formation

Guest KeithKettleborough

In the recent squad, and based on his first time with us, it must be Bernard. Havent seen him so hes been a disappointment to say the least.

Going back a bit I think Dave Beasant, cup winning penalty saver and at the same time, John Robertson who scored loads in Scotland but none for us.

Marcelino didnt disappoint me as I knew nothing of him before hand. Also heard that there were things going on behind the scenes which meant he was stopped for playing for us even when he was fit and wanted to. Never quite understood it all even if it was true but knowing Freddy, it was probably money related.

Guest mishka17

Sibierski

what? from 0 to hero in that case in my opinion-maybe he's slow etc. but you must say that he scored very important goals for us :)

Tino Asprilla.

Take away Barcelona and Metz and he didnt exactly cover himself in glory. Some of his latter performances were pretty disgraceful in lack of effort.

Tino Asprilla.

Take away Barcelona and Metz and he didnt exactly cover himself in glory. Some of his latter performances were pretty disgraceful in lack of effort.

at least he scored goals and had flair and spirit...something a certain mr. alberto lacks...

Guest mishka17

and what about andy o'brien? is he still playing for portsmouth? he and titus together were... "amazing" (with exceptions)

Car  Bramble Boumsong Marcelinho

Acuna Butt Bassedas  Viana

Cort  Luque

Injured: Dyer (plays well sometimes, when not injured).

Duff and Owen are not hits yet but certainly have the talent, unlucky with injuries so too early to judge yet really. Still disapointed though.

Cort,Viana,Luque,Boumsong

£33m spend on them

All came with great expectations but all of them were big dissapointments

When i think that we spend  £33m for 4 players :idiot2: :idiot2:

I still cant understand why SBR signed Viana for almost £9m when at that time we had Robert who was playing great for us?

Because Viana's a centre midfielder and at the time was rated as one of the hottest prospects of continental football.

He won European Young Player of the Year ,the season before he joined us and we beat alot of big clubs to his siganture I seem to remember, such as Juventus at the time. I think his game is suited to the slow pace of Italian football rather than Spanish and especially the EPL.

And as already mentioned, he was never supposed to compete with Robert for the left wing spot. He was not a left winger in the slightest even though we shunted him out there. His best position was in the hole behind the striker(s) with a proper defensive midfieler doing all the donkey work (which we didnt have) ......and most EPL teams including ours don't play with that formation

The main thing that fucks me off about the Viana transfer is that in the games we would've watched him (Portugal u21's and Sporting) Ronaldo would've been playing as well and for the same fee (ish) we could've had him. :uglystupid2:

Pricetag & wages weighed up against the player's actual ability & production.

Scott Parker.

Building the team's engine room around a player with average attributes, and a player with little in the locker in the way of 'defensive smarts' - as compared to Speed ie. not being drawn to the ball like a hawk & knowing when to hold his position, tracking his opposing counterpart/s runs into the danger area in & around the box, will go down as Roeder's biggest mistake of the season and hopefully not beyond. As disappointing a captain i've seen.

Car   Bramble Boumsong Marcelinho

Cort  Luque

Duff and Owen are not hits yet but certainly have the talent, unlucky with injuries so too early to judge yet really. Still disapointed though.

Good little player, better player than our current captain in all honesty.

Car   Bramble Boumsong Marcelinho

Cort  Luque

Good little player, better player than our current captain in all honesty.

agreed, underrated player, never let us down ,didn't complain when left out the side and chipped in with some goals. An excellent squad player and a bargain  for 700k IMO

Should not be on that list wor Clarence  :knuppel2:

Easily Kluivert for me. A lot of the players listed played below their potential- but Kluivert was clearly still capable of doing the business. However he couldn't be arsed, cleared out every Greggs in town and lost his place. A total waste.

Easily Kluivert for me. A lot of the players listed played below their potential- but Kluivert was clearly still capable of doing the business. However he couldn't be arsed, cleared out every Greggs in town and lost his place. A total waste.

his goal record was very good though and his partnership with Bellamy was good. To be controversial he shouldn't have been automatically dropped when Shearer came back from the 1 or 2 injuries he had as he was playing well early on.

Yes, a couple pies too many perhaps though:D

Bear with me here: Alan Shearer. One of the top five players in the world when he arrived here and was injured and only about 75% of the player he was after that. I feel gutted and cheated we only saw one season of him at the Toon when he was at the peak of his powers.