Argy Bargy

sempuki

Argy bargy!

Jan 28 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle have failed in a bid for Argentinian defender Fabricio Coloccini, according to sources in Spain.

United – urgently seeking a centre-half – are said to have offered Deportivo La Coruna around £1.5 million for Coloccini.

But Deportivo want £2.7 million for the 25-year-old, who is out of favour at the club but now resigned to staying put until the summer.

“Newcastle’s offer and others were presented to Deportivo, but the president said no,” Coloccini’s agent, Marcelo Lombilla, told the Sunday Sun.

“The problem was the price.”

Tottenham have also eyed Coloccini, who was part of Argentina’s World Cup squad last summer, and started their quarter-final against Germany.

He began his career with Boca Juniors before joining AC Milan, only to be loaned out to three clubs over four years before making an appearance for the Italian giants, then joining Deportivo in 2004.

Guest Ridzuan

Is he any good that the ones we have already at the club? His hairstyle sucks by the way.Im not sure if he has change it already.

If this is true, which it may be not as it's in the Sunday Sun it's still a bit surprising as FF vowed never to deal with Depor again after the Luque transfer. I am sure our obese chairman now wishes he hadn't bothered after all.

Guest nufc 4 life

ffs freddy shepherd can surely find 2.7 fukin mil its not that hard. Top marks for what Roeder said and i agree fully about his transfer policy

I think this sums up our transfer policy perfectly. Go and enquire about a player, get told the asking price, offer just over half, get told to piss off and then whinge that the players just aren't available in the january transfer window

I don't think this is about the money because I think we'd be able to stretch to just £1m over what we'd offered, I think it's more of a reluctance by FS to rise his bid higher than £1.6m. We all know how stingy he can be over a couple of million, remember Anelka and Boa Morte...

Guest elbee909

I don't think this is about the money because I think we'd be able to stretch to just £1m over what we'd offered, I think it's more of a reluctance by FS to rise his bid higher than £1.6m. We all know how stingy he can be over a couple of million, remember Anelka and Boa Morte...

"But the chairman doesn't decide who we buy, that's up to the manager"

Yep, of coooourse it is.

I like "nails" argie defenders. For £2.7m its hardly a massive gamble and as said im sure we could come to some arrangement for Luque to go there so we get him off the wage bill and Coloccini for nothing!