Looking up the table

Guest TampaToon

Guest TampaToon

for the second season in a row we've pulled ourselves from relegation threats to european contenders, and are now 5 points out of the top 6.  of course, nothing is guaranteed, as 5 points in the opposite direction is good for 15th place....

when you look above us, reading & bolton have goal differentials of 3 and 2 goals respectively, not smacking of dominance or consistency by any means (yet better than -2, but i'd be curious to see our differential over the last 10 games or so)....and everton still have to visit the reebok, anfield, and stamford bridge while portsmouth has won only 3 of their last 10.

meanwhile, the biggest threat right below us is tottenham, even on points with a game in hand....

newcastle's 3 toughest remaining opponents all have to come to SJP, and we're starting to get some players back healthy, but of course there's always another injury around the corner....

so the question is, do we have what it takes to push past these last 3 or 4 teams? what clubs are going to run out of gas at year's end and who's going to make a run? is europe just a tease?

Think about the short term tbh...

We must get a good result at Fulham. A draw probably wouldn't be the end of the world because Spurs have Man Utd at home. I'm not sure who their game in hand is against, though.

I do believe we will catch Reading and Everton and keep other teams behind us hopefully, but i doubt we will keep up with bolton, they are much more consistent than us and im still worried by our defending, even if we get all injurys back, we need a new LB most of all, and we aren't going to get one until the summer...

Guest andynufc84

Its very difficult to say imo.

We have 'winnable' games however we're far too inconsistent for my liking. But you never know with NUFC.

I would like to think we could go on a little run and string a few wins together but who knows??

We are still unbeaten in the league so far in 2007 so for me that is very encouraging, we must be doing something right! We were very

fortunate tonight and against spurs away but I guess a win is a win.

I have a good feeling about saturday, I reckon we are well capable of beating Fulham, that would take us to 36 points...

If we are solid at the back and not concede any stupid goals like the last 3 we conceded against west ham and aston villa i think we have a good chance of finishing in the top 6 O0

i hope gooch to make this defence more solid  O0 O0

Guest andynufc84

If we are solid at the back and not concede any stupid goals like the last 3 we conceded against west ham and aston villa i think we have a good chance of finishing in the top 6 O0

i hope gooch to make this defence more solid  O0 O0

I concur but we are putting a lot of pressure on gooch already!

At the end of the day its the full back posistions causing us grief!

Glenn, please please bring nobby back into right back for fulham and drop the clown!

if we say that we make no more signings and the injuries do ease i could see us sticking in the top 6-10 bracket most of the second part of the season, alot of teams are right behind us with not alot of points in it and I agree that this Gooch guy is the unknown quantity and if he plays well then I could see us not leaking as many set pieces the guy should be big and strong enough to just hoof the ball a way which is always a better idea than see the ball pass you by which is what carr and bramble and to some extent huntington does.

Guest davidthoris

for the second season in a row we've pulled ourselves from relegation threats to european contenders, and are now 5 points out of the top 6.  of course, nothing is guaranteed, as 5 points in the opposite direction is good for 15th place....

when you look above us, reading & bolton have goal differentials of 3 and 2 goals respectively, not smacking of dominance or consistency by any means (yet better than -2, but i'd be curious to see our differential over the last 10 games or so)....and everton still have to visit the reebok, anfield, and stamford bridge while portsmouth has won only 3 of their last 10.

meanwhile, the biggest threat right below us is tottenham, even on points with a game in hand....

newcastle's 3 toughest remaining opponents all have to come to SJP, and we're starting to get some players back healthy, but of course there's always another injury around the corner....

so the question is, do we have what it takes to push past these last 3 or 4 teams? what clubs are going to run out of gas at year's end and who's going to make a run? is europe just a tease?

That game in hand is Man Utd visiting WHL...... Man Utd look solid right now and don't look like they will slip up.

13 games left, i say we need to win at least 7, and no more than 4 losses.

>:( play like we played tonight and we are more likely to lose 7 rather than win 7. We were shit tonight after a cracking start.

We won 3-1, didn't we?

>:( play like we played tonight and we are more likely to lose 7 rather than win 7. We were shit tonight after a cracking start.

We won 3-1, didn't we?

Yes, but made very very hard work of it, gave possession away constantly and looked absolutely desperate at times.

We won a game we had no right to win because we were shit.

Guest andynufc84

We won 3-1, didn't we?

Yes, but made very very hard work of it, gave possession away constantly and looked absolutely desperate at times.

you tell it how it is, i agree to some extent

there are still fundamental problems in the team, that win papers over the cracks

We won 3-1, didn't we?

Are you sure we weren't, "The Shit".  I don't get this mentality, we win the game and you come on here and act all whoflungdung?  Whuddupwitdat?  :lol:

We won 3-1, didn't we?

Are you sure we weren't, "The Shit".  I don't get this mentality, we win the game and you come on here and act all whoflungdung?  Whuddupwitdat?   :lol:

The win has just papered over the cracks (agree with andynufc84).

The 3 points tonight merely gives our chairman the opportunity to say we are safe and have won so we can survive without new signings when quite clearly we cannot.

I think if we can get Emre back soon enough we should be able to look up the table.

We are clearly at our best with Parker/Butt and Emre in central midfield (I know, many are complaining over Parker/Emre partnership, but I don't agree) and Martins and Dyer upfront. If Gooch can give us some stability at the back, I can't see why we shouldn't win games.

I don't think we're as good as the table suggests (I know that sounds daft since we're most of the way through the season and not exactly high). Tonight was another game where you come away thinking "got out of jail there". Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd, Blackburn, even West Ham and Watford, it's becoming a recurring theme - unlucky with injuries there's no doubt, but on the field, Roeder is a very lucky manager.

Having said that, even if it's only till they play their game in hand, it's fucking brilliant being above Europe's Elite aka Tottenham Hotspur. We're having a shocker of a season and we're still above the self-aggrandizing twats.

Is it just here, btw, that Spurs are the most hated team in the league or is it the general opinion in Newcastle?

Just on here I think. My hatred for them has increased tenfold in the last year or so.

Guest alijmitchell

No I actually think quite a lot of teams hate the spuds...i have mates who are Villa and Charlton fans respectively and they hate them too. The reason quoted is that they're a bunch of arrogant self important knobheads. Which they are incidently. ;)

This time last year we had 26 pts from 23, in 14th place (i think) and a gazillion points away from bolton.

We then won our next 2 games to be on 32 pts from 25.

Currently we're on 33 pts from 25, 1 point better than last season. Just 8 pts from Bolton. Winning our next game against fulham will put us in a much much healthier position.

Going by the table, surely we have to believe that we're capable of challenging for the 5th place? I'm also fairly certain that we'll finish above Portsmouth, Everton and Reading.

Spurs are my most hated team except the macks, as every single one ive met talks like they are Premiership winners, been the most successful team ever, have the best players in the world, cant see any way they can lose..

I worked with a guy who spouted shite about them for 3 months..

Was sat in a pub in London watchin England vs Wales, and being told every 5mins how Jenas was the player Spurs needed and would lead them into Champs League, how Robinson was one of the best 3 goalies in the world, there would be no stopping Defoe next season....etc etc

Went to school with 2 Spurs fans, who despite being in the absolute minority, believed they were the best, kept quiet when they were losing, then told the whole world how great they were when they beat NUFC.

I was ower the moon when we did the double of them this season.