Pearson to lead first England team out at Wembley

Nicky

Quite a nice little honour there for Nigel Pearson....

STUART PEARCE is gutted he has been blocked from managing the England Under-21s in March — because he wanted to be the first boss to lead out the national side at Wembley.

Pearce had twigged that the friendly against as-yet-unconfirmed opponents would be the first match to be played at the new Wembley.

But Manchester City will allow Pearce to take charge only for next week’s Spain friendly and this summer’s Euro finals in Holland.

It means the first England boss to lead a team out at the brand-new stadium will be Pearce’s Under-21 assistant Nigel Pearson.

:thup:

Given the vitriol that was read about Wadsworth, Saunders/Murray, Bond, and even Carver, despite no-one actually fully knowing what they do, I am always curious as to why Pearson has such a popular aura surrounding him, when like the previous assistants, he has remained in the background, and thus we dont fully know what he does either.

I like him, but what is it that make others like him?

Yep, I think people did notice an improvement in our solidity at the back, and more importantly our willingness to put our bodies on the line for a block, clearance etc. I think when he has a couple more players to work with he will do even better with the defence.

Also, he's a good old fashioned no-nonsense type of characted, which is something most toon fans can relate to - and what they seem to look for in players and coaches.

The solidity at the back didnt last that long though!  :tickedoff: But yeah he seems decent.

It might of lasted longer without so many injuries and having a new back line every game. Thats hard for anyone to work with nevermind someone trying to stamp his authority.

The best defenses in the league are the ones that dont change much.

Good on the guy, future manager for someone.

Far from convinced about this "he's improved the defence" line. Our defending on set pieces has to be seen to be believed. The way to beat Newcastle is to force as many corners as possible, because when the ball comes in, it's pandemonium.

Far from convinced about this "he's improved the defence" line. Our defending on set pieces has to be seen to be believed. The way to beat Newcastle is to force as many corners as possible, because when the ball comes in, it's pandemonium.

Again set pieces rely on everyone knowing their job (position, marker, zone, and where everyone else is positioned), and when you've got wingers as right-backs, centre-backs at left back and the whole back line consisting of teenagers, then its going to be hard to get them organised against attackers who knows where they need to be and have been doing it for some years at top level.

We are easy picking because of that, but that might change with Gooch and his height helping out, but still we need proper fullbacks that know what there doing as well.

Guest optimistic nit

i dont like this wingers as right backs line. i think the mainreaason were shite at setpieces is because of our inexperianced defenders, but solano started as a right back and is more football savy than any of our other players.

i dont like this wingers as right backs line. i think the mainreaason were shite at setpieces is because of our inexperianced defenders, but solano started as a right back and is more football savy than any of our other players.

And yet we had Carr and Bramble playing the other night, as well as Taylor, who has been playing Premiership football for three seasons. Huntington was the only real inexperience against Villa, and we conceded two goals from corners (ok, one was disallowed but only because of a referee trying to correct a mistake rather than any infringement). Villa also hit the post from a corner and we had to cope with at least two more crazy goalmouth scrambles in the first half following a corner.