Nigeria threaten to report Newcastle and Chelsea

JH

Martins should go and represent his country, as every player should be desperate to do. I can't stand all of this injury excuse-making that goes on, it's pathetic.

If he's an international player, he goes to play in internationals. Simple as that IMO.

Nigeria have every right to expect to play him, every other country play friendlies.  He's got as much right to play for his country as Parker and Dyer have a right to play for England.

Arguably even more right, as HE is actually international class.

You must be pleased Dyer's been called up for England? Another chance to 'what a sandwich!! himself right up' eh?

I want what's best for my club/country, same as anyone. I just don't think Dire fits that bill for either in the medium/long term. And as an individual, i think he is a loathsome little cnut. My prerogative.

That's fair enough, but do you really think that Dyer fucking himself up asap is what's good for us now? I know you don't really rate him, and that's fair enough, but would you not say he's deserving of a place on the bench even when everyone is fit at the moment?

Bearing in mind that Martins and Owen would start up front, I know I'd certianly rather bring Dyer on up top ahead of Shola or Le Sib if we needed a goal - even if he doesn't play that well with pace like his he'll always be scaring the defenders, and he seems to be forging something of an understanding with Oba. Granted we could do with a new striker, but couldn't you adapt to that by changing your sig to "Here's hoping that Dire fucks himself up as soon as our squad has adequate cover up front'? ;)

Nigeria have every right to expect to play him, every other country play friendlies.  He's got as much right to play for his country as Parker and Dyer have a right to play for England.

You must be pleased Dyer's been called up for England? Another chance to 'what a sandwich!! himself right up' eh?

I want what's best for my club/country, same as anyone. I just don't think Dire fits that bill for either in the medium/long term. And as an individual, i think he is a loathsome little cnut. My prerogative.

That's fair enough, but do you really think that Dyer VW Beetle driving himself up asap is what's good for us now? I know you don't really rate him, and that's fair enough, but would you not say he's deserving of a place on the bench even when everyone is fit at the moment?

Bearing in mind that Martins and Owen would start up front, I know I'd certianly rather bring Dyer on up top ahead of Shola or Le Sib if we needed a goal - even if he doesn't play that well with pace like his he'll always be scaring the defenders, and he seems to be forging something of an understanding with Oba. Granted we could do with a new striker, but couldn't you adapt to that by changing your sig to "Here's hoping that Dire fucks himself up as soon as our squad has adequate cover up front'? ;)

I agree, as long as i can state (in the centr of midfield", because i'd rather play Le Sib up front, as Dire is no more a striker than he is a winger.

The club have issued a statment today, saying they haven't refused Martins permission to join up with the Nigerian Squad....

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~976192,00.html

However, it doesn't say whether they have refused him permission to play in the match?!

MJ

Lets hope we don't piss another potentially great player off.

Guest johnson293

I agree.

When the match was first mentioned, i thought the clubs worry was about the travelling time for the game - then realised its being played at Brentfords gorund!!!

Then it was said it we are worried about him getting injured, despite the game being a 'friendly'.

Can't really see how Martins is under any more risk of injury than Dyer and Parker are for England, or Given (when available) and Duff are for the RoI??

MJ

I'm sure those banging on about his right to play will be the first to moan about it if he gets injured and misses a few games because of it.

Some might, not all.

If he was out for the rest of the season because of an injury picked up in a friendly the majority would be pissed off.

That's fair enough, but do you really think that Dyer VW Beetle driving himself up asap is what's good for us now? I know you don't really rate him, and that's fair enough, but would you not say he's deserving of a place on the bench even when everyone is fit at the moment?

I agree, as long as i can state (in the centr of midfield", because i'd rather play Le Sib up front, as Dire is no more a striker than he is a winger.

I'm sure I can allow you that. I'd personally have Dyer up front ahead of Sib any day, but that's by the by.

I'm sure those banging on about his right to play will be the first to moan about it if he gets injured and misses a few games because of it.

Some might, not all.

If he was out for the rest of the season because of an injury picked up in a friendly the majority would be pissed off.

I would be pissed off, but I wouldn't say he shouldn't have gone. The principal is more important, same was true when Owen got injured playing for England (although I know that was a tournament).

Don't we have a right to say no to friendly call ups?

If so fuk off.

If we do then the situation is obviously different. My argument was about the pathetic non-injuries that are used by clubs to worm their players out of international duty.

You can GUARANTEE at least one Man Utd player will "pick up a knock" before an England friendly.

Don't we have a right to say no to friendly call ups?

If so fuk off.

If we do then the situation is obviously different. My argument was about the pathetic non-injuries that are used by clubs to worm their players out of international duty.

I agree, very Fergie of GR to do this.

I'd just get to the point and tell him and the Nigerian FA he's not going to play in some meaningless friendly while were struggling for bodies. Club before Country, we pay his wages, we cannot afford to lose him.

Some might, not all.

I'd be pissed off, I'm sure we all would, I still wouldn't complain because I knew he would play internationals before he came.

I didn't complain when Nobby kept going to play for Peru for the same reason, he's got every right to go and should for as long as he wants to play for his country. 

It just seems that players can play for the home countries but not any others, it's double standards.

I hope he don't play more than 45 minutes. Less chance of him getting injured and he won't be as tired from the game. I actually want him to play, he should be proud to represent his country and I hope he scores a goal or two (in that half that he does play) to build up his confidence even more.

The Nigerian FA can still fuck off, mind.

Some might, not all.

I'd be pissed off, I'm sure we all would, I still wouldn't complain because I knew he would play internationals before he came.

I didn't complain when Nobby kept going to play for Peru for the same reason, he's got every right to go and should for as long as he wants to play for his country. 

It just seems that players can play for the home countries but not any others, it's double standards.

This

Maybe not just the home countries though - just the bigger nations that can't be bullied. For instance we might put pressure on Nobby not to play for Peru, but imagine if Arsenal tried to stop Gilberto playing for Brazil...

Ironically it is the smaller nations that need every player available, but hey, it's only Nigeria so they can fuck off eh?  :rolleyes:

Some might, not all.

This

Maybe not just the home countries though - just the bigger nations that can't be bullied. For instance we might put pressure on Nobby not to play for Peru, but imagine if Arsenal tried to stop Gilberto playing for Brazil...

Ironically it is the smaller nations that need every player available, but hey, it's only Nigeria so they can fuck off eh?  :rolleyes:

Their FA can, anyway. Saying Martins should leave NUFC asap after like three games.

But yeah, I agree with your post.

Their FA can, anyway. Saying Martins should leave NUFC asap after like three games.

But yeah, I agree with your post.

That comment was very inappropriate, true, but (from memory) was made by one media-whore ex NFA official.

Could someone more anal than me confirm that?

Pathetic if you ask me. It's only a friendly, why do Nigeria care so much?

As significant a continental rivalry as say Belgium v Holland, or Scotland versus ourselves/England. It's understandable that both teams are keen to leave nothing in the locker - ie. team selection - come gameday.

There was no sign, however, of Obafemi Martins in the 18-man Nigeria squad - despite Newcastle saying the forward had been given permission to play.

Thats from the Soccernet report - Ghana won 4-1.

There was no sign, however, of Obafemi Martins in the 18-man Nigeria squad - despite Newcastle saying the forward had been given permission to play.

Thats from the Soccernet report - Ghana won 4-1.

hope he didnt pick up a thigh injury in training ala Carr (thankfully he did though  :lol: )