Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

'Tactically fascinating' is definitely their substitute for 'boring'.

Anyway, a fresh one. Well, probably not so fresh - but Mark Hughes. I seriously fucking dislike the bloke. His latest quotes about getting rid of the handshake are just another in a list of total shite he's come out with. Regardless of his personality or his managerial ability, as a British Premier League manager, he's one of the primary ambassadors for the sport. For him to completely undermine the respect 'campaign' that is currently going on, is just bloody disgraceful imo. The sport has changed (in many ways for better, many ways for worse), but it's still a gentleman's game and handshakes at beginning and end are absolutely necessary.

I can just-about forgive isolated incidents like Anton Ferdinand refusing Terry's hand, but to advocate losing it altogether is wrong.

As thoroughly dislikable as a manager as he was as a player.

How the Spanish Second Division doesn't stop during international breaks. Quite a few of the teams have several internationals and playing without them unfairly harms their chances.

I like the idea of the league continuing while players are away on international duty. Would make life more interesting :lol:

I dont think it's pointless at all. It's an important show of sportsmanship imo.

It's a forced show of sportsmanship and as such has no worth whatsoever.

Should never have been brought in (in a large part as another sop to the sponsors) a few years back, and should be consigned to the scrapheap, the sooner, the better.

Guest firetotheworks

I just think it's an appropriate benchmark for respect across the game. Each to his own I suppose - I can't see it being binned either way.

It's a token gesture and doesn't stop people from being their usual selves during a match.

It must have been brought in 5-10 years ago.  Has it led to an improvement in sportsmanship?  No, it just looks nice for UEFA and the cameras.  Honestly think it's pointless.

pretty much agree with this, although i'm sure most of the time matches on tv seem to go to advert when they're shaking hands :lol:

Ah nah, I love that.

It's bullshit man, you've just scored a goal, it's the best feeling you can have in football and you're being all 'respectful'. Just celebrate and enjoy the moment, instead of being all dramatic and trying to make a point.

Shearer was spot on about the handshakes on MOTD last night. If during the course of a game you feel the opponent has earnt your respect then you shake their hand after the final whistle. Anything else is forced and meaningless.

Guest firetotheworks

Ah nah, I love that.

It's bullshit man, you've just scored a goal, it's the best feeling you can have in football and you're being all 'respectful'. Just celebrate and enjoy the moment, instead of being all dramatic and trying to make a point.

Imagine scoring against Newcastle.

Ah nah, I love that.

Even worse when a player talks up about scoring against the team they support. What kind of bullshit is that?

Ah nah, I love that.

I'd go fucking mental. :lol:

Players that just celebrate with a mild jog with one hand in the air. Best feeling in the world man ffs put some more invention and excitement in to your celebration!

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nejournal/may2009/4/4/alan-shearer-900557071.jpg

You serious pal?

Players that just celebrate with a mild jog with one hand in the air. Best feeling in the world man ffs put some more invention and excitement in to your celebration!

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nejournal/may2009/4/4/alan-shearer-900557071.jpg

You serious pal?

One of the only times I saw him go a bit fucking mental was when he scored against us for Blackburn. :lol: