Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I don't really like away goals or penalties but football matches have to be decided somehow.

If it comes down to ET, take a player off each team every minute until someone scores. Obviously not, but it'd be entertaining.

I don't really like away goals or penalties but football matches have to be decided somehow.

If it comes down to ET, take a player off each team every minute until someone scores. Obviously not, but it'd be entertaining.

I'd love to see them try something like that tbh, have always liked the idea. There seemed to be more debate about this stuff years ago, remember people discussing hockey-style penalties and all sorts. Probably when England were always getting knocked out on penalties.

What I hate about the away goals rule is how so many big ties are decided by something so arbitrary. At least there is some skill involved in a penalty shootout.

I think it used to encourage less conservative away performances in the 90s but since the tactical bores have taken hold it hasn't really been the same. Often an away team will score first now and hang on for dear life.

Texas High School soccer/football used to use the hockey style penalty kick as a tie breaker, with the ball sited 35 yard out (approx. 10m from the penalty area.  They scrapped it and went back to FIFA style penalties due to the high injury rate from collisions where the keepers were diving at the feet of the players to smother the ball and there were constant collisions/concussions.

I hate the Stutter step in penalties  - it seems very unfair to the keepers, and you never see anyone stutter step when in on the keeper solo so it doesn't seem to be a regular part of the game to then allow it in a penalty shot.

Texas High School soccer/football used to use the hockey style penalty kick as a tie breaker, with the ball sited 35 yard out (approx. 10m from the penalty area.  They scrapped it and went back to FIFA style penalties due to the high injury rate from collisions where the keepers were diving at the feet of the players to smother the ball and there were constant collisions/concussions.

I hate the Stutter step in penalties  - it seems very unfair to the keepers, and you never see anyone stutter step when in on the keeper solo so it doesn't seem to be a regular part of the game to then allow it in a penalty shot.

:lol:

On the stutter issue, isn't it that the rule is you can't stop dead then start again in your run-up?

Imagine Mike Williamson running from the halfway line for his ice hockey-style pen? :lol:

It'd be like when they invite a fan on the pitch at half-time.

I'd genuinely expect a fan in a Wonga zorb to do a better job than Mike would.

Imagine Mike Williamson running from the halfway line for his ice hockey-style pen? :lol:

Anyone remember Titus Bramble running in on goal in the 90th minute the day we relegated Birmingham City?? Had the whole of their half to himself as they'd all gone up for a corner and somehow when the ball broke it broke to him.

Dumb fucker kept looking around over his shoulder for someone better to pass it to before panicking and toe-punting it harmlessly into the stand from about 35 yards out.

Away goals.

Ridiculous rule.

one thing I do rather like is the way the league cup does it with the away goal rule coming into effect in extra time, its a good way to negate home advantage

I hate that more to be honest, it's just a ploy of preventing games being finished by penalties.

I just do not understand how you could scrap for your lives and secure a 1-0 win away at Barca, only to lose 8-7 at home and be tossed out of the cup because of it.

The Arsenal game last night for example; Arsenal were sh*t in the first leg, Monaco were sh*t in the second leg - surely that should be decided by ET and penalties.

No, it is a strategic aspect of the tie. Teams are well aware of the value of away goals and align their tactics to it. Arsenal shouldn't have allowed three goals at home and shouldn't have been pushed so far forward at the end of the first match. Allowing three goals at home will be fatal 95 percent of the time, Arsenal should blame themselves.

The only unfair aspect of the current rule is the away goals rule extending into extra time. It is a massive advantage to the away side who have an additional thirty minutes during which their goals are more valuable. This also encourages defensive play in those thirty minutes because the away side usually counter-attacking anyway and the home side knows that allowing a goal at any point will essentially endthe tie, as they would have to score twice to match.

Paul Belverstone ‏@paulbelvers  4m4 minutes ago

Never heard that before. Large section of crowd at St Mary's sing happy birthday to @RonaldKoeman while play continues. #SOUBUR #Saintsfc

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

English commentators desperatly trying to link European footballers to the Premierleague based on some obscure connection. Martin Tyler loves this.

"Daniel Van Buyten - was at Man City on loan 12 years ago"

"Robert Lewandowski - once linked with Blackburn Rovers before he went to Dourtmund"

• 2 weeks later...

National team anthem pet-hates

1. The pathetic "No surrender" bit sung by England fans during the anthem

2. Booing other teams' anthems (especially one as good as the Italians')

Couldn't agree more. The hate on the face of that arsehole gesturing towards the Italians during our anthem  :huff:

National team anthem pet-hates

1. The pathetic "No surrender" bit sung by England fans during the anthem

2. Booing other teams' anthems (especially one as good as the Italians')

Couldn't agree more. The hate on the face of that arsehole gesturing towards the Italians during our anthem  :huff:

Yep.

And I write that as a supporter of the national team. I'm even slightly hopeful a younger team with a hopefully still-on-fire Harry Kane might at least restore England regularly to its natural quarter final base.