Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

And rightly so, because it's bollocks.  At best the tripe Pardew came out with was simply antagonising to fans and the comments systematically built up to play us down as a club so it made it look like he was doing a better job than he was.  At worst it gave the players an excuse to approach every game with trepidation and fear and performances would suggest that was the case.

If either of you fancy telling me how some of Pardew's worst quotes served to motivate or deflect pressure, or the same with McClaren's recent ones for that matter, then I'm all ears.

It's bollocks that what a manager says to the press isn't necessarily exactly what he thinks? And also that what he says to the players might be different behind closed doors?

You honestly believe that?

And I do think he's said some daft things btw, particularly saying 'judge me after x games' which was just setting himself up for embarrassment if we had a bad start, and the 40 points party thing is weird.

Your peeve was that manager's quotes aren't worth dissecting and I absolutely think they are. 

To say comments have no real effect on players is laughable, we've seen evidence to the contrary for years.  Positive (Keegan) and negative (Pardew) clearly do.

This is more of a fan thing than a football one: people who sarcastically say "best league in the world" after a shite Premier

league match. As if there's some league out there with blinders in every fixture.

Guest palnese

Most games played in the PL are pretty shite though.

Not that I watch it much anymore, but I can't remember the last time I watched a "good" game.

This is more of a fan thing than a football one: people who sarcastically say "best league in the world" after a shite Premier

league match. As if there's some league out there with blinders in every fixture.

:thup: It was tiresome craic a decade ago.

Guest neesy111

Not that I watch it much anymore, but I can't remember the last time I watched a "good" game.

This is also true, the PL is nothing like it was 12-13 years ago in terms of entertainment.

What does annoy me is commentators or managers saying that ref's are 'spoiling entertainment or the occasion' when they send a player off. If he deservers to be sent off, he deserves to be sent off, nothing to do with spoiling a spectacle, it's called correct officiating.

This is more of a fan thing than a football one: people who sarcastically say "best league in the world" after a s**** Premier

People who constantly go on about how the PL isn't the best in the world are definitely more tedious than the people who say it is.

It's cynical football the majority of the time, doesn't make it enjoyable to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Pundits saying "top top". I'm sure Merson said "top top top top" on Saturday. Stop stop stop stop, you mugs.

:lol: Holy fuck. Just watching this afternoon's shambles and he's raised the bar. Top top top top top twice in a row. Even the other arses pulled him up on it. Yes, it's come to that. :lol: Words fail me, but obviously not as much as they do him. What an arse. Money for nothing, goddammit.

:lol: I'm hating things a lot atm. This just came back to me. Le fucking Tissier on the du Maie/Bojan incident came out with the old chestnut that if it's not a foul it must be a dive and a yellow. Like fuck, man, it's accidental contact, nobody fouled, nobody dived, fuck off you twat. Can't believe it's included as a highlight in all the packages, it was nothing.

Also, our warrior falling over like a girl. From Wiki: Aleksandar Mitrović (Serbian Cyrillic: Александар Митровић; born 16 September 1994) is a Serbian professional footballer who plays as a striker for English club Newcastle United and the Serbia national team and also loves diving. At the age of 16 he applied for Britains got Talent as an acrobatic diver but was turned down after accusations that he was a cheat.

I assume that'll be changed, but that's what it says right now. Better up his machismo game.