World Best XI?

oldtype

Lahm and Grosso... having a decent World Cup seems to do wonders for your reputation.

Grosso was nowhere before the world cup, now being mentioned in the bracket of best left backs in the world. He played well, but come on, who's actually seen him week in week out? Same goes for Lahm.

Gee, you're right - the only football in the world is played in England and the World Cup was the first time anyone had heard of any player outside the British Isles :rolleyes:

Far from what I said, assuming your talking to me. Just saying that based on a few games at the top level Grosso's now a world beater. (which he is in a way seeing as his team won the thing). I doubt you or any of us has seen as much of Grosso as needed to make such a judgement on him.

To be in the worlds best XI, IMO you've got to have done more than had an excellent world cup.

Gee, you're right - the only football in the world is played in England and the World Cup was the first time anyone had heard of any player outside the British Isles :rolleyes:

Far from what I said, assuming your talking to me. Just saying that based on a few games at the top level Grosso's now a world beater. (which he is in a way seeing as his team won the thing). I doubt you or any of us has seen as much of Grosso as needed to make such a judgement on him.

To be in the worlds best XI, IMO you've got to have done more than had an excellent world cup.

To be honest, I was responding to both yourself and Nate - and yes I was flippant and dismissive but have you considered that to even make the starting team of the Italian national team, the benchmark for defensive football, is an achievement in itself superior to anything Cole might have done? And that's even if you haven't watched Grosso play for Palermo - an extremely unfashionable club who nevertheless managed to qualify for Europe? Mega-rich Inter could have bought just about any left back in the world - they went for Grosso who, as you say, was one of the out-and-out stars of the World Cup...

The same thing applies to Phillip Lahm - this young star booted one of the greatest left backs of the last decade in Bixente Lizarazu (behind Maldini and who else?) out of the Bayern Munich team.

The only reason Ashley Cole isn't the most over-rated player in England is because the likes of Lampard and Terry are ridiculously over-hyped too... (and Gerrard and Rooney to a lesser extent in that they have talent which almost matches their hype)

Buffon

G. Neville Cannavarro Marquez Lahm

Gattusso Pirlo

Ronaldo Dyer Ronaldinho

Drogba

I think that only you and Kieron Dyer himself would include him in a World XI.

Name another player who is better than Dyer at rapidly carrying the ball between the midfield and attack through the centre of the pitch.

Buffon

Gattusso Pirlo

Ronaldo Dyer Ronaldinho

Drogba

Name another player who is better than Dyer at rapidly carrying the ball between the midfield and attack through the centre of the pitch.

He 'rapidly' carries it, but then loses it with a shit pass or by running into trouble like he normally does.

Buffon

Gattusso Pirlo

Ronaldo Dyer Ronaldinho

Drogba

He 'rapidly' carries it, but then loses it with a shit pass or by running into trouble like he normally does.

With the exceptions of martins (and Solano who can't keep up) there is no-one capable of making space to receive a pass. In the team I've named, there would be.

Buffon

Gattusso Pirlo

Ronaldo Dyer Ronaldinho

Drogba

With the exceptions of martins (and Solano who can't keep up) there is no-one capable of making space to receive a pass. In the team I've named, there would be.

I was basing my view on Dyer on the last 8 years at the club, not just who he plays with this season. I aren't having a go on purpose mate, I just think its baffling how you can put Dyer in a world XI! :lol:

Buffon

Gattusso Pirlo

Ronaldo Dyer Ronaldinho

Drogba

I was basing my view on Dyer on the last 8 years at the club, not just who he plays with this season. I aren't having a go on purpose mate, I just think its baffling how you can put Dyer in a world XI! :lol:

I've never said he is the best individual, but I do think that he brings something very unique to an attacking team, which could really reap benefits, no matter how good the rest of the team is.

Thus, I see Dyer as an individual who can improve any team, and should therefore be in the starting XI.

Buffon

Gattusso Pirlo

Ronaldo Dyer Ronaldinho

Drogba

DYER???  Please tell me you're joking.

I'm not going to have to explain myself all over again am I?

No-one's buying it, thats why. :lol:

--------------Buffon-------------------

----------------------------------------

Zanetti - Puyol - Nesta - Zambrotta

------------------------------------------

----------------Vieira---------------------

---------------------------------------------

-------Kaka---Gerrard---Ronaldinho -

---------------------------------------------

-------------Eto'o - Henry--------------

Lahm and Grosso... having a decent World Cup seems to do wonders for your reputation.

Grosso was nowhere before the world cup, now being mentioned in the bracket of best left backs in the world. He played well, but come on, who's actually seen him week in week out? Same goes for Lahm.

I post on Xtratime that has one of the biggest Inter forums around, according to them Grosso has been very poor for them this season, at least nowhere near his world cup form. They all went the Brazilian player Maxwell to play left back permanently as he has been recently

----------------------Buffon---------------------

G.Neville--Cannavaro--Gallas--Zambrotta

-----------------Essien----Xavi-----------------

---C.Ronaldo------Kaka------Ronaldinho---

--------------------Drogba----------------------

How can people not put Kaka in? ???