Zulte-Waragem v NUFC - Pre-Match Thread

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Just read the squad and I think Roeder will play these:

Harper

Solano  Tayloy  Bramble  Baba

Milner  Sibiersky  Butt  Duff

Martins Luque

Dyer is a bit tired after 3 matches in a short period, so he wont risk him and I think he will prefer Luque over Pattison when its in Europe and Pattison has really been awful the last few games where Roeder picked him.....

Since when has the Belgian league been Part time? Didnt realise Belgian football had gone that bad like.

Zulte Waregem were officially only founded in 2001, or something daft, so it's not a great surprise that their wages are low.

Guest newcastle4life

Would be suprised if we didnt go for

Harper

Solano  Taylor  Bramble  Baba

Milner  Dyer  Butt  Duff

Sibbers Martins

Like to see Luque get a few mins, expect he probably will aswell.

That team will be spot on.

Thats the team i would like to see.

Since when has the Belgian league been Part time? Didnt realise Belgian football had gone that bad like.

Zulte Waregem were officially only founded in 2001, or something daft, so it's not a great surprise that their wages are low.

Its a fusion of Zulte and Waregem.  Waregem has played in Europe an numerous occassions with a place in the semi finals in 1986 with wins over Arhus, Osasuna, AC Milan and Hadjuk Split.  They lost against Koln in the semis.

So this then!

------------------Harper

--------Taylor--Bramble----Edgar

Nobby----------------------------------Duff

-------------------Butt

---Milner-------------------------Le Sib

------------Dyer-------Martins

So this then!

------------------Harper

--------Taylor--Bramble----Edgar

Nobby----------------------------------Duff

-------------------Butt

---Milner-------------------------Le Sib

------------Dyer-------Martins

I doubt Roeder will play this team

Maybe play 4 at the back with Babayaro at LB

i think we will win, But hopefully we won't underestimate them.

It should be a good game, oba's speed will give them problems. They are an average team for the belgian league. Its all up to us. I'll be there.

Ah well if we are going for the Roeder squad then I recon it will be this, jhe may swap Dyer and Le Sib around though.

------------Harper

Nol---Taylor--Bramble---Baba

Milner---Butt----Le Sib----Duff

---------Dyer-----Martins

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=448249&CPID=6&clid=4&lid=&title=Parker+misses+Magpies+tie

Newcastle skipper Scott Parker will miss their Uefa Cup tie against Belgian side Zulte Waregem, but Glenn Roeder will otherwise field as strong a team as possible as the club chase that elusive piece of silverware.

Parker was in the Newcastle squad which was flying out to Belgium on Wednesday, but he has now withdrawn as a precaution due to a tight hamstring.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=448249&CPID=6&clid=4&lid=&title=Parker+misses+Magpies+tie

Newcastle skipper Scott Parker will miss their Uefa Cup tie against Belgian side Zulte Waregem, but Glenn Roeder will otherwise field as strong a team as possible as the club chase that elusive piece of silverware.

Parker was in the Newcastle squad which was flying out to Belgium on Wednesday, but he has now withdrawn as a precaution due to a tight hamstring.

Is Parker becoming the new Dyer? Seems like crock after crock after crock for him this year.

Skysports

Despite Parker's absence and a number of other injuries, Magpies boss Roeder is determined to field as strong a line-up as he can as he looks to take a firm grip on the Uefa Cup tie against the Belgians in the first leg.

With a free weekend coming up after Thursday's tie, Roeder says he will be going all out to take command of their Uefa Cup tie in the hope Newcastle could finally go on and lift some silverware this season.

"Nobody will be rested tomorrow night," said Roeder.

"I will be fielding the strongest line-up available to me and with no Premiership game to think about at the weekend, we can fully concentrate on the two legs of this Uefa Cup tie.

"It would be nice to leave Belgium with a positive result that will give us the platform to progress in the competition."

Although they are big favourites to progress against the Belgian minnows, who will hold the tie at the home of KAA Gent because their Regenboogstadion has no floodlights, Roeder insists there will be no complacency.

"We cannot and will not underestimate them whatsoever. It would be an unprofessional thing to do.

"We have done the same type of research on Zulte as we would if we were playing Chelsea or Arsenal.

"They have been watched on three occasions by David Mills our chief scout, and we have DVD evidence of what they can do.

"Do not forget, this is cup football and anything can happen. They have already shocked Sparta Prague and Austria Vienna, so we cannot take anything for granted."

Meanwhile, Newcastle will honour goalscoring legends Alan Shearer and Jackie Milburn by erecting eight-foot high bronze statues outside St James' Park.

"It's a great honour that I will be alongside a statue of the great Jackie Milburn," said Shearer.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think that one day I would be mentioned alongside him.

"I feel very honoured."

Fully agree with him on the starting line-up. Absolutely no reason not to go with the strongest side possible.

Harper

Solano --- Taylor --- Bramble --- Babayaro

Milner --- Butt --- Dyer --- Duff

Martins --- Sibierski

Subs: Srnicek, Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, O'Brien, Luque, Carroll

I say best team - Bramble wouldn't be in mine. Edgar would be in there on merit. He's has looked very assured and very dominant whenever i've seen him. Confident at both left-back and at centre-back, and both times that he has been introduced from the bench, he has appeared to have tightened up the current defense. I won't go into Bramble - with him it really is pointless dropping him from my favoured team, because there's not a cat in hell's chance that Roeder will.

Same sort of situation with Duff. I might have O'Brien in there on merit or give Luque a chance to play, simply because Damien Duff does not deserve a place in our starting line-up nowadays. However, i'm realistic. This is poor opposition and Duff is going to be really gunning for it, having been rubbish so far this season and getting a wake-up call from being dropped. This is a big opportunity to make a point.

No available centre-midfielders other than Butt and Dyer so Sibierski has to be asked to continue his great European form.

It won't be a mammoth victory but it will be a comfortable one.

Zulte Waregem 0-2 Newcastle United

Martins, Sibierski

----------

In the return leg, with that result, i'd like to see some different people included. One of those being Emre. Where is he? We need him. Dyer would definitely benefit from a rest, aswell.

Harper

Solano --- Taylor --- Edgar --- Babayaro

Milner --- Butt --- Emre --- O'Brien

Martins --- Luque

Subs: Srnicek, Bramble, Huntington, Parker, Lua Lua, Sibierski, Carroll

Optimistic and doubtful, i know. But it would be a good opportunity.

We should attack, attack and attack.

Squarefootball

20 Handy Facts About Zulte Waregem

UEFA Cup football returns around Valentine’s Day. The competition has provided light in a difficult season for Newcastle but Glenn Roeder’s team have drawn the least known of the British side’s opponents and one with a most unusual manager.

This is a no-win tie for Newcastle; their opposition are in their first European campaign and have already exceeded expectations. They have a good record in knockout football and nothing to lose.

1. Zulte Waregem are a new club formed from the amalgamation of Zulte VV and KSV Waregem. The town of Zulte had never had a team in the Belgian top division before, though KSV had been there.

2. The merger came in 2001 and in 2004-05 the team gained promotion to the top flight, known as the Jupiler League. They play home games in Waregem.

3. Home games are played at the Rainbow Stadium (Regenboogstadion), former home of KSV Waregem. Its capacity is just 8,500.

4. The stadium name is in Dutch as the club lies in the West Flanders region of Belgium. The match is being switched to Gent’s larger stadium but only 650 Magpies fans will be allocated tickets.

5. The club got into Europe by winning the Belgian Cup to follow up their promotion campaign. They also finished 6th in their first Jupiler season.

6. This season they are lying in a modest 12th place out of 18. There is no imminent danger of relegation but the team do have to be careful.

7. Their recent success is all the more remarkable because club coach Francky Dury has combined his role with his other job as a detective in the Ghent Police Force. He is about to leave the force and go full-time as a manager, beginning a 5 year contract on 1st March.

8. If Celestine Babayaro plays for Newcastle he will face a former team mate. Zulte keeper Gert De Vlieger played in a losing Cup Final team with the Nigerian left back when the pair were at Anderlecht.

9. Zulte-Waregem knocked Lokomotiv Moscow out in the preliminary round. They won 3-2 in aggregate after battling back from two goals down in the away leg.

10. Tim Mattys was one of the scorers in the home leg against the Russians- he has a habit of getting key goals. He scored the winner in the last minute of the Belgian Cup Final. He also bagged a hat-trick in the group game with FK Austria.

11. The group stage results were mixed, though it was a tough group. Zulte beat the Austrian club and Sparta Prague to virtually guarantee progression. They then lost the next two games to Espanol and Ajax.

12. The wins against Sparta and Austria were very impressive- 3-1 and 4-1- but the defeats were very worrying. They lost 6-2 on the trip to Spain and 3-0 at home to the Dutch visitors.

13. Zulte score quite a few goals but also concede. Last season they let in only two less than they scored despite finishing 6th. This season they have conceded 28 to 22 scored in the League.

14. This looks to be a good time to play them because last weekend they were beaten by Lierse the bottom side. It was only Lierse’s third win this campaign.

15. Despite the defeats in the group stage, the team’s progress has caused a stir in Belgium as they are only side from the nation still going in Europe. Heavyweights Anderlecht and Bruges have departed.

16. Defender Frederic Dindeleux is familiar to Scottish fans, He moved to the club in 2005 after a stint with Kilmarnock. At the time he moved, half the squad were still amateurs

17 Manager Dury has a touch or irony about him, not unexpected given his other role. He described the victory of Lokomotiv as ‘a two stroke beating a Ferrari’. About the draw for the last 32 he says they hoped to draw a smaller club but there wasn’t one.

18. Many of the squad come from bigger clubs cast offs. Tony Sargent is a midfielder from Antwerp and Jonas Vandermarliere- who got the crucial away goal in Russia- had 10 years in the Youth/ reserve set up at Anderlecht. Mattys came from Gent.

19. Gonzalez Vigil is a Peruvian striker who has La Liga experience with Malaga.

20. Evidence of the team’s increased standing is the recent signing of two African players, especially Nigerian Tosin Dosumnu. He has been a regular scorer in the Belgian top flight and his transfer to Nancy has not worked out. He should be a great loan signing for Zulte but happily for Newcastle he’s cup tied for this tie.

Hugh Larkin

8 February 2007

I'd go:

Harper

Nobby  Taylor  Hunty  Edgar

Milner  Butt  Dyer?*  Duff

Le Sib  Martins

Pav

Bramble

Baba

O'brien

Carroll

Luque (if he really was up for this game i'd be tempted to start him but all depends on his attitude really)

Pattison

Not really keen on Dyer playing in CM (far better up top), but with Parker, Emre and Zoggy all out he may be worth one more go there. 

Tough game first 20 they will come at us

3-1 toon

i doubt they will come at us, actually... that would mean lots of space behind their ultra-slow central defenders, can't see them being so stupid... they only have one fit striker so i think they will sit tight, try not to give away too much chances and hope to score on a counterattack with midfielders helping out the only striker...

score fast and they should surrender, if it stays 0-0, they will get some hope and try to nick a win

Guest SmileyCulture

Aslong as we start on the front foot we won't have a problem, the five pundits seem to think its going to be our UEFA banana peal but i just can't see it. If all goes well i can see  0 - 5 to the toon, if not 0 - 1 to the toon. We can't get too relaxed about the team but they aren't even full time footballers, there manager is a police man when hes not managing the club.