Harper - Going backwards?

Karjala

Does anyone think that Steve Harpers abilities have gone backwards, and he's not the keeper he was 4 seasons back.

He's made some pretty awful mistakes this season, and has been handed as many games as he has in a long time... Obviously part of the reason for this is him sitting on his SJP contract, rather than going out and gettin himself some first team starts at another club.

I also think, personally, he's getting a bit arrogant/lazy with this, he seems too casual all the time, like his attitude is "im not gonna start anyway, so whats the point..." Just little things, like when he makes a mistake, he seems to casually back peddle to goal (ie vs Liverpool on Sat) or when he lets a goal in, which he might have done better with, he holds his hands up and looks around like "feel sorry for me" (think this happened in Uefa Cup, when i header went through his legs, for example).

Guest Geordiesned

Does anyone think that Steve Harpers abilities have gone backwards, and he's not the keeper he was 4 seasons back.

He's made some pretty awful mistakes this season, and has been handed as many games as he has in a long time... Obviously part of the reason for this is him sitting on his SJP contract, rather than going out and gettin himself some first team starts at another club.

I also think, personally, he's getting a bit arrogant/lazy with this, he somes too casual all the time, like his attitude is "im not gonna start anyway, so whats the point..." Just little things, like when he makes a mistake, he seems to casually back peddle to goal (ie vs Liverpool on Sat) or when he lets a goal in, which he might have done better with, he holds his hands up and looks around like "feel sorry for me" (think this happened in Uefa Cup, when i header went through his legs, for example).

The bit in bold is exactly my thinking. He looks like he's out for a Sunday troll at times and shows absolutely no urgency what so ever. His kicking has always been suspect but his overall distribution is now poor with him seemingly unable to spot players breaking from the box (Milner several times on Saturday). He's undoubtedly a great shot stopper but to be a great goalkeeper these days you need a hell of a lot more to your game. Harper simply hasn't got it I'm afraid.

Yep, he's in the comfort zone. He knows he'll always have a well paid job here, and that no matter how he performs, he'll always be number two goalkeeper and get new contract after new contract.

Maybes this will be his last contract (tho jeeez he must have earned enough money by now) as it runs out at the end of the 08-09 season, by which time i'd like to think Krul will be at least the number 2... Unless Krul replaces Given as number 1 (cant see it happening that quick though) and our Ste Harper agrees to back stop him for the next millenium.

Guest elbee909

Harper didn't look going at going backwards against Liverpool.

If anyone can find the ba-dum-tish smiley, feel free to use it here.

No, I've never rated him. He's always been dodgy and has never inspired any confidence in me just sitting in the stand. God knows what he inspires in the defenders.

I actually agree with that 100%. I've always got the feeling that he's just about to drop a bollock.

Guest rosstoon

The problem with the modern game is the way the reserve teams are run. The reserves will rarely play their 2nd choice players and is full of youngster who are either in the academy or 1st year pros. Therfore players like Harper, if on the bench for so many games find it difficult to adjust to playing in matches. I think given a run of 5-10 games we will see the old Harper. Either way I still love the bloke for his loyalty!

No, I've never rated him. He's always been dodgy and has never inspired any confidence in me just sitting in the stand. God knows what he inspires in the defenders.

Slightly harsh imo, but I think he's a good reserve 'keeper and nothing more. I find the claims he'd have had England caps if he'd gone elsewhere a tad ridiculous. My dad can't stand him though, on the basis he's got too much 'edge'.  :lol:

How can you expect him to get better when he has hardly played over the last 4 years? You get better by playing first team matches or matches at your current standard and he has not done that for years.

How can you expect him to get better when he has hardly played over the last 4 years? You get better by playing first team matches or matches at your current standard and he has not done that for years.

exactly tbh.

Although conditions hardly helped him on Saturday. He hasnt got the sharpness at the moment, he is still a great stopper though. Clearly a long way off Shay though now.

The form he was on a few years ago was equal to shay's but then he got injured and Lazuras stayed in nets for the following two years.

Really he should have moved on, but he loves life here, has got a degree and studied to be a referee and I think is generally content with life in the comfort zone. Shame but thats his choice maybe he had no other ambition but to play for us.

Slightly harsh imo, but I think he's a good reserve 'keeper and nothing more. I find the claims he'd have had England caps if he'd gone elsewhere a tad ridiculous. My dad can't stand him though, on the basis he's got too much 'edge'.  :lol:

it's not ridiculous tbh as there's been plenty of poor keepers called up for England in the time that Harper has been with us. robert green, ian walker & richard wright for instance, while carson and foster don't look to be anything special. had harper left in say 2000 i think he would've won a couple of call-ups.

but to answer the original question, yes he has gone backwards after playing so little football over such a long time.

a couple years ago i don't believe there was a huge difference between Harper and Given for goalkeeping ability IMO. Back then I wasn't that bothered when Shay got injured as Harper normally put in some very solid and steady performances when he replaced him......but now it's different as most posters have pointed out, he seems to have gone backwards and I don't have the same confidence in Harper when he's behind the sticks as I used to.

it's not ridiculous tbh as there's been plenty of poor keepers called up for England in the time that Harper has been with us. robert green, ian walker & richard wright for instance, while carson and foster don't look to be anything special. had harper left in say 2000 i think he would've won a couple of call-ups.

but to answer the original question, yes he has gone backwards after playing so little football over such a long time.

A tad so, imo. I think the 'keepers you mention were/are better than Harper and I think he'd get found out after a few games were he to move on. I think this would have been the case had it happened a few years ago too. We'll never know though.

A tad so, imo. I think the 'keepers you mention were/are better than Harper and I think he'd get found out after a few games were he to move on. I think this would have been the case had it happened a few years ago too. We'll never know though.

the only thing some of those keepers had over harper was regular first-team football. again, he's went backwards since, but had he left the club in 2000 when he was rightly keeping Given out the side (until shay threw his dummy out) i think it's probable that he would've been in and around the england squad. at the least, calling the idea ridiculous is a bit OTT.

he is fucking shite.

he doesnt even do the basics that well, his distribution is awful (yet still better than shays), his decision making is awful and he is a 'liner', the only thing i could compliment him on is his reaction shot stopping, which is an absoloute minimum for a pro keeper anyway.

i say sell him and promote krul to number 2 after this season

Harper's a good keeper, but makes a few too many errors. However, I don't think the idea that he would be England keeper is ridiculous at all, because of what he's up against.

The current crop of England goalkeepers have made some fucking massive mistakes this season. Robinson's looked hopeless for much of the season, particularly against us at home (at fault for all three goals) and of course the Croatia debacle, and as for Chris Kirkland, I love watching him on MOTD, he's endless entertainment, he should start coming onto the field in a car with doors that fall off wearing huge shoes and a wig.

the only thing some of those keepers had over harper was regular first-team football. again, he's went backwards since, but had he left the club in 2000 when he was rightly keeping Given out the side (until shay threw his dummy out) i think it's probable that he would've been in and around the england squad. at the least, calling the idea ridiculous is a bit OTT.

I said a 'tad' ridiculous though. Which you've now ignored twice. Anyway, the bit in bold tells its own story, for me.

I said a 'tad' ridiculous though. Which you've now ignored twice. Anyway, the bit in bold tells its own story, for me.

i don't think it is ridiculous or a 'tad' ridiculous to consider that Harper would've been in and around the england set-up had he left the club in 2000. Harper in 2000 was no worse than Ian Walker in 2004 (he was in the euro 2004 squad), Robert Green in 2005 or Richard Wright in 2001. as i said, the only thing those keepers had over Harper was first-team football.

i think you're looking at Harper's quality today and forgetting that he was keeping Given out of the team back then. since he has stayed at the club he's declined a lot, as would anyone playing 7 games in 5 seasons. simply saying "tad! tad! you forgot tad!" or "ooh the bit in bold tells its own story tbh" is a poor cop-out.