SJP Statues For Wor Jackie And Big Al

NUFC06

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~981651,00.html

THEY are the two greatest goalscorers in the history of Newcastle United ? two men who sum up why the black and white number nine shirt is so revered on Tyneside.

And soon, Jackie Milburn and Alan Shearer will be forever immortalised in the form of bronze statues that will proudly stand outside their beloved St. James' Park.

The all-time dream Geordie strikeforce of Wor Jackie and Big Al will doubtless become a huge visitor attraction at Gallowgate when they are unveiled at some point during the 2007/08 season.

Renowned Nortumberland sculptor Tom Maley is the man who will create the two statues, and the Newcastle fan's work is already familiar to Toon fans who can recall his previous model of Jackie that stood outside St. James' during the 1990s.

The two new bronze statues will measure eight feet high and be mounted on plinths at the South West corner of St. James', a fitting location given the statues will be in close proximity to the Milburn Stand and Shearer's Bar, both named after the two legends.

Wor Jackie will be forever synonymous with United's three FA Cup wins at Wembley in the early 1950s and his medals from those three unforgettable triumphs remain the centrepiece of the club's museum inside St. James'.

His son Jack Jnr told nufc.co.uk: "This is fantastic news, we're so thrilled that this is going to happen and I cannot wait to see how good they look.

"Tom is a fantastic sculptor and I know he'll do an amazing job.

"To have the statues of my father and Alan welcoming people to St. James' Park will be wonderful.

"And with those two guarding the stadium it can only bring the club good luck in the future."

Jackie's club record goal tally of 200 was finally passed by Alan in February 2006. The modern-day great, who also captained England during his illustrious career, hung up his boots after finishing on 206 goals in a black and white shirt.

Alan, who enjoyed an amazing Testimonial night at Gallowgate last May that raised well over a million pounds for charity, told nufc.co.uk: "I feel very honoured and very proud that these statues are going to be built.

"It's a great honour that I will be alongside a statue of the great Jackie Milburn. As a kid growing up in Newcastle I heard so much about his superb career and what he achieved.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think that one day I would be mentioned alongside him. I feel very honoured."

Sculptor Tom, who is based in Morpeth, told nufc.co.uk: "I consider it a huge honour and privilege to be chosen to create the two statues.

"They will be based on their classic poses and I want the two statues to complement each other.

"I think the mantle of the great number nine was passed between Jackie and Alan and I'd like to show that, and also how it would look to have two heroes playing together.

"I think they are going to look spectacular. There's a lot of hard work and long hours ahead but I'm very excited about it."

Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd told nufc.co.uk: "Jackie and Alan are two all-time greats and they will be immortalised outside St. James' Park so their achievements are remembered forever.

"I think the statues will be hugely popular with football fans all over the world.

"The names of Jackie Milburn and Alan Shearer are known throughout football and I think fans from near and far will come to St. James' to view the statues.

"They brought so much joy and entertainment to Newcastle fans during the respective eras and where they are going to be positioned outside the stadium, they will be welcoming fans to St. James' for many years to come."

Two Newcastle United legends

They deserve it  :thup: :thup:

It will be nice to see their  statues every time you walk to SJP :thup: :thup:

If Shearer turn out to be our manager one day it will be very strange thing to see every day-yourn own statue

But with Shearer as a manager if he wins some trophies everyone will say that this statue is the best thing FS did O0