St James' Park

Delima

14 hours ago, Ben said:

I was amazed to read the other day that NFL clubs play 9 (nine) home games a season and still generate enough cash to operate, I wonder if their stadiums are used for other events all year around ?

We’ve literally just played 3 pre-season friendlies over there. At least 2 of them were current NFL stadiums. NY not so sure of (?).

57 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We’ve literally just played 3 pre-season friendlies over there. At least 2 of them were current NFL stadiums. NY not so sure of (?).

I did wonder

NFL has time outs that coaches/players call, TV time outs for broadcasting sponsors, time outs for significant injuries, quarter changes and half time. It's a start-stop match. In a 3 hour game from start to finish, on avg an entire NFL game is defined in ~11 minutes of actual play. 

American sports are defined by both the on-field experience, and the off-field stuff. In general you have people who park their cars and tailgate (look it up) before a game, which the fanatical who get there as soon as the parking lots open and they set up elaborate food and drink, invite friends and etc. It's a tradition, akin to Football fans going to the pubs before the matches. My family have been season ticket holders to the Bucs since the early 90s and we parked in the same lot (via our pass we purchased), we tailgated with the same 5-6 families who we only met through the parking lot proximity and it was something we did 8x a season for like 15+ years and the group grew and shrunk as people moved away or came back. American staidums were always built in city centers and then they were moved out of town for cost of land and parking and then again theres this push to bring them back into city centers, but thats easier for arenas which are way smaller.

In football theres really not much time to "maximize" eat/drink in the ground and that's because there's just loads of traditional smashing places in and around the cities (if you have a city center stadium) that need and deserve that business IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Ben said:

I did wonder

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Depends on the stadium, but they generally host other sports or concerts or events.

Using Tampa as an example, the Bucs stadium also is the home stadium for the USF Bulls (NCAA college football, division 1), it hosts college football bowl games a year, and is within the selection process for the college football national championship game. So thats 6 home games for USF and maybe 2-3 college bowl games additional happening concurrently with NFL season. the stadium is also the biggest in Tampa so it will be home to major music concerts, ie: Billy Joel and Sting are playing there end of February. They do Monster Truck shows there, WrestleMania has been there....you get my drift. 

Wish they’d implement the system they had at PSG in the home end. Order your pints on your phone pre game and it gives you a QR code. Go down at half time and they just scanned it and gave you your order. Took less than 10 seconds.

Mind you, that would also required the True Faith WiFi to be installed.

2 hours ago, loki679 said:

YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE HALF TIME BREAK SO YOU CAN GET A PINT AND A FUCKING HOTDOG?  GET TAE FUCK YOU MESS OF A MAN.  YOUR ANCESTORS WILL BEAR THIS SHAME.

I never said I did, I just said that I can see it coming.

Clubs will be trying to compare their income streams with that of the NFL and will be asking why NFL teams get more money from food and beverages etc.

6 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

One important point is that the NFL is shite 

You might think that, but their TV money far exceeds that of the Premier League (possibly helped by adverts), and the match-day income is higher as well.

All the owners of the Premier League clubs, and major clubs around Europe will be looking at what the NFL does and trying to replicate parts of it.

21 minutes ago, Stifler said:

You might think that, but their TV money far exceeds that of the Premier League (possibly helped by adverts), and the match-day income is higher as well.

All the owners of the Premier League clubs, and major clubs around Europe will be looking at what the NFL does and trying to replicate parts of it.

I'm hanging by a thread these days, what with ticket ballots, ticket prices, kick off times all over the place, FFP, VAR etc etc.

Think replicating parts of the NFL would be my breaking point!

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'm hanging by a thread these days, what with ticket ballots, ticket prices, kick off times all over the place, FFP, VAR etc etc.

They've been trying (and have been) replicating parts of the NFL for three decades. 

41 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

They've been trying (and have been) replicating parts of the NFL for three decades. 

Such as? At the moment it doesn’t appear to replicate any American sports. When they're stopping the game to squeeze in adverts, in game shows or time outs, then I'd say it's starting to go down that road.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

To quote Melvin Udall, we're drowning here and you're describing the water.

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

will be asking why NFL teams get more money from food and beverages etc.

agreeing fat people GIF by South Park

I watched a lad on insta who is a Texan(fuck knows what team or sports he was following) and the amount of bait and pints he was on was mental.

Not sure how he wasn't asleep in the stands after the amount of shite he guzzled down.

Unless we get some raker stadium, people just don't want to hang around the lifeless concourses spending nearly £5 on a pint of carbonated piss and local leisure centre cuisine.

And just to add to that, the youngins they have serving are absolutely atrocious mind[emoji38] 

Always slow as shit and absolutely clueless whenever you ask them something.

15 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Such as? At the moment it doesn’t appear to replicate any American sports. When they're stopping the game to squeeze in adverts, in game shows or time outs, then I'd say it's starting to go down that road.

Not really on the field (except for maybe VAR, though that's inspired by many sports). But everything else from stadium development (luxury suites, wide concourses, food, screens) to mascots (the stupid, fuzzy kind; not kids) and, most importantly, TV rights deals and extracting maximum value from broadcasters.

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Most NFL stadiums are massively tax payer funded.

Over $4.0 billion raised through taxpayer funding. Issue is there is no protection in American sports; if a stadium deal is coming due (usually always owned by a local public/private entity that leases to the sports team) and there isn't an expansion or new one funded via the taxpayer route; a team will just up and leave to a different area or city. See: Browns -> Baltimore. See: Chicago Bears wanting to leave Soldier Field for Arlington Park. 

Some of it is sadly eerily similar to the UK stadiums too in terms of what clubs/teams want vs the fans. I think fan views have more clout over in England than they do over here tho, tbh 

32 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Not really on the field (except for maybe VAR, though that's inspired by many sports). But everything else from stadium development (luxury suites, wide concourses, food, screens) to mascots (the stupid, fuzzy kind; not kids) and, most importantly, TV rights deals and extracting maximum value from broadcasters.

Tbf most of that is simply moving with the times. Stadium development was forced onto clubs in the aftermath of Hillsborough and whilst football has always been a very popular sport the massive rise in its popularity has driven broadcasters to pay more and more for it. I wouldn't necessarily says that's a case of Premier League football trying to copy the NFL, more just natural progression.

13 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tbf most of that is simply moving with the times. Stadium development was forced onto clubs in the aftermath of Hillsborough and whilst football has always been a very popular sport the massive rise in its popularity has driven broadcasters to pay more and more for it. I wouldn't necessarily says that's a case of Premier League football trying to copy the NFL, more just natural progression.

The connections David Dein, Irving Scholar, and Martin Edwards had to the NFL have been pretty well documented and it did not go unnoticed in the early 1980s when the NFL signed a multi-billion $ TV deal and the leaders of English football were squabbling over a multi-million £ deal. The idea of Monday Night Football was obviously a straight rip-off and part of Sky's first Premier League deal, but so was the one club, one vote model.

Hillsborough was certainly a forcing function on the redevelopment of stadiums, but it really started before then:

Dein referencing seeing the Miami Dolphins in the 1970s: "That was an eye-opener. I understood that was how a sport should be run. The way they marketed it - it was more than 90 minutes of football, it was an event. This was a family sport, good outlets, you could get a decent meal. Even the toilets were good." 

Also Dein:  "I felt football was really a sleeping giant and had a long way to go. After seeing how the Americans operated their sport, particularly American football and baseball and basketball, I felt we were light years behind."

Scholar referring to the NFL in the mid-'80s: "In terms of the commercial attraction, it was amazing. You could see the future." 

4 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

All we need is Taylor swift to prance around saying she's dating Bruno.

Then we can have a collective suicide 

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

Agreed. But hopefully they won't try and replicate the level of entertainment. 

I'd rather watch Dr shipman prescribe tablets 

4 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Ground level stuff, but its where they got the idea for Monday Night Football from, even ripped off Channel 4's helmets colliding graphic with the two badges colliding instead. It died a death as it was always going to but they even foisted cheerleaders onto TV games (the sky strikers).

6 hours ago, Stifler said:

If they're trying to replicate the NFL finances before messing further with the sport I wonder if the greedy arseholes factor in that America is 40odd times bigger than England with 6x the population and there's multiple stoppages during the game.

Adjusted for population size the Premier League's TV deal is nearly double the NFLs and the elite clubs revenue is apparently on par with.

21 minutes ago, Jonas said:

If they're trying to replicate the NFL finances before messing further with the sport I wonder if the greedy arseholes factor in that America is 40odd times bigger than England with 6x the population and there's multiple stoppages during the game.

Adjusted for population size the Premier League's TV deal is nearly double the NFLs and the elite clubs revenue is apparently on par with.

Yep.  The population of North America is roughly double that of Western Europe.  The comparisons are daft.