St James' Park

Delima

Guest sydneycove

I was raging about this yesterday, but now that has passed, and I'm actually less bothered than I thought.

Part of the modern game is unfortunately maximising commercial income, particularly now with the FFP rules, and in my view it will soon be the exception that stadium rights are not sold. Arsenal have done it, Man City have done it, Liverpool will do it if they move stadium. It isn't as if we are alone.

I suppose what is different is that those examples are new stadiums that have no history, and it hits home a lot harder when you have a stadium that has been St. James' Park for 100 years. But they way I look at it is that the reason why it is such a special ground is that it is slap bang in the middle of one of the best city centres in the world, and if most away fans were honest it must be one of the best away trips. None of that will change, we will still have a fantastic ground in an amazing city centre location, not stuck on a retail park in the suburbs, generating that unique pre-match atmosphere in town on match day, and we will still all call it St. James' Park.

Another one turns to my dark side :p

Guest sydneycove

I've set it elsewhere but if we're that strapped for cash to meet the UEFA ruling why not do what Man U have done and issue a share dealing for 40% of his shares ?

This will get more interest and money than owning shares. The value of owning the naming rights to a stadium is huge.

Ok, we all like to bash out words on the internet and I would guess 99% are unhappy about this.

Personally, I dont want to see the atmosphere at SJP become negative again. The manager and team deserve better.

There is however something we can all do that will take less than a minute.

A chap on Toontastic has pointed out that while Ashley owns the Arena and can therefor do whatever he likes, he doesnt own the land and the land is known as St. Jame's Park.

Fill in this contact form to Barry Rowland, chief executive of Newcastle City council urging him to have street signage made "marking" St James Park. The council could put this on every corner of the ground and even leading to the ground. Nice and big in Black and White.

http://www2.newcastle.gov.uk/contact.nsf/feedback?readform=&%253Bform=cxocontact

Might achieve nothing, might achieve something and takes less than a minute.

Ok, we all like to bash out words on the internet and I would guess 99% are unhappy about this.

Personally, I dont want to see the atmosphere at SJP become negative again. The manager and team deserve better.

There is however something we can all do that will take less than a minute.

A chap on Toontastic has pointed out that while Ashley owns the Arena and can therefor do whatever he likes, he doesnt own the land and the land is known as St. Jame's Park.

Fill in this contact form to Barry Rowland, chief executive of Newcastle City council urging him to have street signage made "marking" St James Park. The council could put this on every corner of the ground and even leading to the ground. Nice and big in Black and White.

http://www2.newcastle.gov.uk/contact.nsf/feedback?readform=&%253Bform=cxocontact

Might achieve nothing, might achieve something and takes less than a minute.

:thup:

Done

I fucking hate the piss poor "financial fair play rules" excuse. As if that makes any difference to us, it's not like we're the ones that are going to be affected by it, we're not even spending any fucking money.

It's a fair point by Freddy. You can't keep renaming a stadium willy nilly. It will lose meaning and be associated with hassle and disquiet amongst supporters. If there's a massive uproar about this (which I expect will happen) then who wants to be the one to take the bad press and pay us a substantial amount of money? That's right, nae cunt.

Guest sydneycove

I f***ing hate the p*ss poor "financial fair play rules" excuse. As if that makes any difference to us, it's not like we're the ones that are going to be affected by it, we're not even spending any f***ing money.

Maybe you should read up on FFP before commenting on it. Doesn't work like that.

I fucking hate the piss poor "financial fair play rules" excuse. As if that makes any difference to us, it's not like we're the ones that are going to be affected by it, we're not even spending any fucking money.

Exactly! They will just whatever they need to. The plan is still clear to see, Mike wants the money that he pissed up the wall back. Not surprised by this move at all.

This will get more interest and money than owning shares. The value of owning the naming rights to a stadium is huge.

Not if the only 'sponsor' is Sports Direct. From what we've heard from Derek this morning that they would prefer a joint shirt / stadium sponsor and they want the shirt sponsor for next season to be agreed by the end of next month then those conditions are starting to sound very obstructive to actually finding a paying sponsor, taking into account that they failed to get a replacment striker in nine months and find apayingsponsor.com@stjamespark in more than two years.

Are people angry beacuse it is Ashley who has done it, or just because they don't want the name changing? I would have thought even if we had a new owner he would have done the same.

The problem i have is that there is no chance we will see any of the money from selling naming rights.

Really are sports direct giving us any cash though!?  Are they fuck

Not a penny.

Would you rather he repaid £10m a year from the loan he has with the club?

The free sponsorship is his way of getting his money's worth - weather cash comes in and goes back to MA or no money moves, same end result

So you honestly think he's sitting at financial year end going, 'right that's £8m worth of sponsorship from Newcastle, that's only £92m that they owe me and the cost of any sale down'?  :lol:

Not a penny.

The free sponsorship is his way of getting his money's worth - weather cash comes in and goes back to MA or no money moves, same end result

I would much rather he did that, at least then he would have to decrease the amount he claims to have put in the club.

Not a penny.

I would much rather he did that, at least then he would have to decrease the amount he claims to have put in the club.

Exactly.  None of this 'sponsorship' is going to paying back the money he loaned us and then squandered.  Hell, take three and a half years worth out now, might as well, it's not going on players otherwise, is it?

Are people angry beacuse it is Ashley who has done it, or just because they don't want the name changing? I would have thought even if we had a new owner he would have done the same.

The problem i have is that there is no chance we will see any of the money from selling naming rights.

i think most of us feel the same, people won't be so upset about all this if we actually get paid good money for it.

Guest sydneycove

Not if the only 'sponsor' is Sports Direct. From what we've heard from Derek this morning that they would prefer a joint shirt / stadium sponsor and they want the shirt sponsor for next season to be agreed by the end of next month then those conditions are starting to sound very obstructive to actually finding a paying sponsor, taking into account that they failed to get a replacment striker in nine months and find apayingsponsor.com@stjamespark in more than two years.

apayingsponsor@St James Park isn't an attractive option though. A Paying Sponsor Stadium and front shirt sponsorship is attractive. Wouldn't be suprised to see this be a sponsor from the Middle East or Asia.

Since we have come up nothing major Mike Ashley has done has had an adverse effect on the club or fans yet everything is going to ruin the clubs heart and soul.