St James' Park

Delima

I've seen this too many times already:

'It'll always be St. James Park to me'

It almost sounds like those people are accepting it.

I don't call the East Stand the 'Popular Stand' or the Gallowgate End 'The Scorebaord End'

Why? Because i wasn't arround when it was named that.

The next generation won't know it as St. James Park they'll know it as whatever name has sponsored it.

We as fans really are f***ing sackless at times. Stand up and be counted for once.

christ going by the fans reaction we are just like kevin keegan.  fuking crybabies get over it.

We're all like the manager who delivered the club their only 2nd place finishes in 80 years?

They're fucking idiots: the one reason anyone would want to invest in naming rights has now been negated by Fat Cunt. If a brand wanted to attach itself to NUFC they'd be looking at our reputation, history, the prestige of having their name attached to a legendary football institution. There's a cachet in taking on the mantle of St. James' Park: a name with 120 years of history. Re-branding the Sports Direct Arena is like polishing a turd. If it's about the brand, then you've got to protect that brand. We've cheapened ourselves massively and that will surely be a turn-off to any investor. Currently, we're the girl that'll fuck anyone and it'll be no surprise when no decent, reputable companies will want to get near us.

Precisely my point. It's been done with the intention of Sports Direct keeping it for sure.

Wouldn't trust anything the pack of cunts say.

Just feel sorry for Pardew though this, in a strange way, may play into his hands with the fans sticking with him/feeling sorry for him.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've seen this too many times already:

'It'll always be St. James Park to me'

It almost sounds like those people are accepting it.

I don't call the East Stand the 'Popular Stand' or the Gallowgate End 'The Scorebaord End'

Why? Because i wasn't arround when it was named that.

The next generation won't know it as St. James Park they'll know it as whatever name has sponsored it.

We as fans really are f***ing sackless at times. Stand up and be counted for once.

I still call us Newcastle West End FC. I'm hardcore like that.

They're fucking idiots: the one reason anyone would want to invest in naming rights has now been negated by Fat Cunt. If a brand wanted to attach itself to NUFC they'd be looking at our reputation, history, the prestige of having their name attached to a legendary football institution. There's a cachet in taking on the mantle of St. James' Park: a name with 120 years of history. Re-branding the Sports Direct Arena is like polishing a turd. If it's about the brand, then you've got to protect that brand. We've cheapened ourselves massively and that will surely be a turn-off to any investor. Currently, we're the girl that'll fuck anyone and it'll be no surprise when no decent, reputable companies will want to get near us.

:thup:

The saddest thing is, even if they dont call the stadium by it, the average Joe, when thinking of Newcastle, will soon start thinking sports direct. Why would another company try to move in on that now? They won't get any value for money because they'll forever share people's thoughts with the previous 'sponsors'.

Ask yourself which kind of brand would want to risk the negative reaction from 50000+ fans and social commentators at a significant up front cost to themselves, on a long term deal with the club?

To me, there are no 'blue chip' brands who would want to associate themselves with Mike Ashleys Newcastle due to his propensity for stupendous decisions which have the potential to negatively impact their name/brand.

So, it'll either be a less aware foreign brand, a smaller company or it'll end up being sports direct. I know where my money is.

Middle east and Asian companies would jump at the chance to be honest.

Then why haven't they already?

Because Asian/Middle East Company @ St James Park is not an enticing offer to take up.

Asian/Middle Eastern Company Stadium and front shirt sponsorship is.

If, as has been reported, the club want a ten year sponsorship deal for the shirt and the ground then it's going to cost a significant sum.

If they are sounding out potential partners they would have already had some initial discussions around what partners want.

Why would they have to do an 'interim' naming of the ground? Why not just say 'at the end of the year we'll be seeking a joint sponsor for the ground and shirt and you can do whatever the fuck you want with the ground'?

Why 'showcase' it?

I don't buy this buffer argument of sports direct taking the negative hit. They are a plc with shareholders after all and it'd hardly be a responsible way of running that entity.

It's not going back, it's not going to change, it's going to end up being sports direct throughout. They will be our branding partner.

Guest ovesbar

There are some good conspiracy makers in here.

Ask yourself, why would MA use his own brand if he can sell the naming rights for 8-10 mill a season. Even if you believe he will take the money out of the club, surely selling the rights would be more lucurative. Or do you honestly believe that naming it after Sports Direct is worth that much for him? No way, not with all the bad publicity etc.

They are probably already negotiating a new sponsorshipdeal for the club, and it makes sense to take the angry fans on now with Sports Direct, so that the new sponsor will have an easier transition, and maybe even be welcomed by the fans.

MA is a business man, a successful one and like it or not football has become business. Arsenal, ManCity, Bolton have all done it. Chelsea are doing it now. All german teams have sold naming rights.

It will always be St James for me, but I can understand the business side of it. And if that means that we dont have to sell the Coloccinis and Cabayes its something we need to do.

I know that its not any use to try to talk sense to many people in here, its all black and white, you either hate or you love, right?

If Sports Direct is our main sponsor come next season you are all welcome to call me a naive idiot.

THE place known as St James' Park has been synonymous with football since 1880.

The small patch of land, which was part of the Town Moor, was the home of Newcastle Rangers, Newcastle West End and Newcastle East End, until those two sides changed their name to Newcastle United in 1892.

It's very close to the spot of the city's gallows, the last hanging taking place in 1844, less than 40 years before football was first played in the vicinity.

The first ever game was held in 1880, but the ground was vastly different to the modern stadium that now towers over the city.

Back then it was barely a rough patch of grass, and even with the notorious slope, local butchers could still graze their animals on the pitch.

Fast forward through many phases of redevelopment and rows over how the ground should progress (which ultimately led to the ground missing out on hosting some of the World Cup matches in 1966) and there was to be the first major bombshell for fans.

In 1968, United applied for planning permission for a £1m stadium near Gosforth racecourse, and it seemed that the unique bond between St James' Park and Newcastle United was under threat.

But at the 11th hour an agreement was met between the club and the council and the team was staying put.

Then in the early 1990s, with the club in a terrible financial state, Sir John Hall stepped in to help the club, and many plans were discussed for building a new stadium next door on Leazes Park.

But political wrangling meant that the board had to move fast to accommodate the fans, and instead, after several years, the redeveloped ground was finished.

The board in 1997 did briefly consider selling the naming rights, but swiftly rejected the move.

But on the morning of October 28, 2009, fans woke to shocking news. The stadium name would change.

In a statement that was supposed to bring joy to supporters with the news the club was no longer up for sale, and that then-manager Chris Hughton was being given an extended contract, the 12-paragraph message had a sting in the tail.

For right at the bottom, it said: "The club aims to maximise its commercial revenues. This includes … welcoming offers for the stadium naming rights for next season."

That move caused a storm of protest, and former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd summed up many fans' feelings when the idea of changing the name was mooted back in October 2009.

He said then: "I appreciate we are living in a commercial world.

"But there are some things money can't buy.

"St James' Park is one of the most famous stadia not just in Europe but the world.

"You can go anywhere on this planet and everyone knows St James' Park is the home of Newcastle United. The two are synonymous."

But now that link is to be broken, with the ground renamed the Sports Direct Arena, and the rights to that branding and the shirt sponsorship up for grabs.

MD Derek Llambias said: "Naming the stadium the Sports Direct Arena helps us to showcase the opportunity to interested parties. We are now actively seeking a long-term sponsor wishing to acquire full naming rights for the stadium.

"Our shirt sponsorship deal with Northern Rock will also expire at the end of this season, which presents would-be sponsors with the opportunity to acquire both the naming rights and shirt sponsorship deals."

For full reaction to the news, get your Chronicle and Journal on Thursday

:: We want to know what you think of the decision to rename St James' Park the Sports Direct Arena - tell us in the comments below.

The best may be published in the paper. Comments which contain bad language or break the terms and conditions will be removed.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/11/09/st-james-park-the-history-of-the-famous-name-72703-29750939/#ixzz1dIFFoh4s

Guest icemanblue

I can guarantee that Old Traford will change names. Chelsea have signed a £100m deal already.

Nah, you can't like. I can guarantee that.

I can guarantee that Old Traford will change names. Chelsea have signed a £100m deal already.

Mint, makes me feel better about our £0 deal.

There was never any intention of handing it over with the @ sign and there isn't now. We're more likely to win the league than not be called SDA next season.

oh my god, our fans really are crybabies, we are feeding into the media frenzy.

why are we overeacting over a name change,  the media now are having a field day  "oh the newcastle fans will be incensed and protesting will proceed very soon at the stadium!"

fukking grow up lads, some of our reaction in the forum are just plain embarrassing.  any excuse to throw the toys out of the pram at ashley.

christ going by the fans reaction we are just like kevin keegan.  fuking crybabies get over it.

our shirt sponsers are coming to an end , and together with the stadium's vacancy we can have a huge new influx of commercial interest back into the club,  bringing in more income for new players and player's wages.  We should see this as a positive.

I know I'm late to the party here, but this has got to be one of the worst posts I've ever read on here. The lack of understanding beggars belief.

Guest bimpy474

oh my god, our fans really are crybabies, we are feeding into the media frenzy.

why are we overeacting over a name change,  the media now are having a field day  "oh the newcastle fans will be incensed and protesting will proceed very soon at the stadium!"

fukking grow up lads, some of our reaction in the forum are just plain embarrassing.  any excuse to throw the toys out of the pram at ashley.

our shirt sponsers are coming to an end , and together with the stadium's vacancy we can have a huge new influx of commercial interest back into the club,  bringing in more income for new players and player's wages.  We should see this as a positive.

I know I'm late to the party here, but this has got to be one of the worst posts I've ever read on here. The lack of understanding beggars belief.

Tbf its no more nutty than saying will we be called Sports Direct Rovers and stuff like that, both nutty...........i feel sad today....:(

Gearing up for a sale IMO. Hope this is at the request of the new owners, heap all the shite on this regime before selling and new owners following suit.

A new owner might want to take advantage of the stadium name and shirt sponsor so it can invest over the odds in the squad without breaking new financial rules. If it can pump in £20-30m a season combined without breaking rules then this heartache would be worth it. Only bright side I can see right now.

More likey Ashley just wants to parade his SD brand on the cheap and using us to do so with no benefit to the club.

Would rather not have the player and keep the name. Is the player going to play for us for 119 years? Andy Carroll's sale could have equated to 5 players, but it didnt.

And that's even if we were selling out for money, rather than spending club money to reduce our advertising potential, as is the reality.

Mike thinks our naming rights are worth 10m like he thought the club was worth 180m or whatever it was. If no-one else thinks its worth that and he's not willing to barter, no sale.

My thoughts on it. This idea of an extra stream of revenue doesn't sit with me. No other club has to do a 'this could be you' to interest potential sponsors, why are we doing it? And the signs, the fact that the stadium name has, officially, had sports direct in the name for a couple of years now, makes me not believe a single word they're saying about it pulling in prospective sponsors. Until the day it changes and it's confirmed were receiving money for the privilege, that won't change. I won't hold my breath.

True. On the other hand, the way Sports Direct is advertised on St. James' Park is really, really poor marketing. Having the whole place plastered with the logo just makes it look cheap and tacky, like an old whore with too much make-up. So it's not really any good for Sports Direct. And "your logo here"? It will either look as vulgar as Sports Direct, or it will be drowned under a deluge of Sports Direct.

So: bad for the club, bad for Sports Direct, bad for other advertisers. Surely the very fact that such an inept fool can become a billionaire is a call for revolution.