St James' Park

Delima

I'm raging about what Llambias said about the fans wanting to buy more players. I'd rather we never signed another player than sold the entire soul and identity of our club.

Properly depressed about football at times like this.

:dowiespin:

Well argued mate.

Was such an unbelievably stupid post that words could not express my thoughts. You'd rather the end of Newcastle United than changing of the stadium.

It's a tacky move, but it does make economic sense as much as I hate to admit it. In a day and age where everything apparently has a price it's not something that any of us should be surprised about -- it was always going to happen at some point.

Whilst I readily admit that I am saying this through clenched teeth I do think it's a smart move cash-wise.

Unfortunately though it runs against the grain of what football should be about, the emotion and the appeal. I am sure though that the fans will continue to call it St James for as long as the stadium stands, for what is a name when we've always known it a St James.

Amazing how apathetic some people have reacted to it,  completely missing the point by saying "it will always be SJP to me".

Ashley has won already and it's only been 12 hours. Must be pissing himself laughing this morning and wondering what he can change next. How far can he take it before some people wake up and see what is happening? Seat colour change? Shirt colour change? Club name change? "Wey it doesn't matter it'll always be Newcastle United to me."

Seat Colour change would be too expensive, maybe some SD stickers on them though.

I could see us being renamed 'S.D. Newcastle' though.

It's a tacky move, but it does make economic sense as much as I hate to admit it. In a day and age where everything apparently has a price it's not something that any of us should be surprised about -- it was always going to happen at some point.

Whilst I readily admit that I am saying this through clenched teeth I do think it's a smart move cash-wise.

Unfortunately though it runs against the grain of what football should be about, the emotion and the appeal. I am sure though that the fans will continue to call it St James for as long as the stadium stands, for what is a name when we've always known it a St James.

If everything has a price though, does football have any more meaning than the cinema or the theatre?

I'm really struggling to understand all this. Can someone please explain to me how changing the name to Sports Direct Arena will get us more money? In theory, at least.

In theory some other brand will see how amazing it is to have a Premier League stadium named after them and come in and pay £50m for the rights next season.

In reality nobody will touch it with a bargepole and we'll be stuck with Sports Direct for years.

Guest bimpy474

Ashley has no intention of selling the naming rights. It's all about whoring his brand in the Far East and getting it done for nothing. Sports Direct will be the shirt sponsor next season and more than likely there will be plenty of mugs who would buy and wear it.

Drink you own piss if its a different sponsor ?

What is the benefit to Mike Ashley and Sports Direct to get another brand in?

I was on about this last night, i could be completely wrong but i think he doesn't want to put another penny into the club, and with the Fair Play Rules coming into effect in 2013/14 season, but taking in the previous two years income into account as well.....i think its about the club keeping itself afloat, he should just sell but cant find a buyer, this is his way of stopping money coming from him, along with sales, Carroll money not being put back in for transfer and being used to run the club for example.

Check out the UEFA website for the details of the Fiar Play Rules, i'm connecting the two but as Dave said last night, i might be delusional though.

I'm really struggling to understand all this. Can someone please explain to me how changing the name to Sports Direct Arena will get us more money? In theory, at least.

Llambias said it will bring in an extra 8-10m.

Wait. Has this really happened? Have they removed the St James Park sign in front of the stadium? Is this for real? :lol:

I'm sorry but I must laugh because it's so ridiculous. Couldn't this wait till the end of the season at least, before creating once again a bad atmosphere around the place? If we can sell the naming right for any million it will obviously be economically wise, but at what cost does tradition come? £25million a year would be something not everyone would complain about, but that is a ridiculous sum.

Llambias said it will bring in an extra 8-10m.

Sure it will...

In theory some other brand will see how amazing it is to have a Premier League stadium named after them and come in and pay £50m for the rights next season.

In reality nobody will touch it with a bargepole and we'll be stuck with Sports Direct for years.

I see. So, whatever happens, whether or not their plan works - it'll never be St James' Park again.

:( Fuck's sake, man.

Mind you, i was surprised when he said it was as long ago as 2009 when it got changed to @stjamespark. It never really changed then, did it. Think the majority will still refer to it as St James' Park. That's how it's been for 120 years so, in spite of the money-ridden mess that football is at the moment, romance will still win through i'd imagine.