St James' Park

Delima

Whats the point in expanding the ground?

There isn't one at the minute. However a successful, ambitious NUFC is capable of attracting 60k+ crowds on a regular basis. We're at a very low ebb right now and have been for a few years but we're still attracting 50,000 to our games.

20 years ago the likes of Spurs, Man City and West Ham were pulling in 25-30k. Now Man City are filling a 55k stadium, West Ham are moving into one which they expect to fill and Spurs will have a 61k stadium in a few years.

It's called ambition and foresight.

On the flip side, we could only ever expand the gallowgate, adding a few extra thousand (probably to 60k or something).  If we were going to expand and had the need to expand from the current 52k, we'd probably want higher than 8,000 more seats.. so a new stadium would be needed regardless

No.

aye

No.

8,000 extra seats would be a fraction of the cost of a new stadium and with a successful and loved NUFC would be financially viable to bring in an extra £5M or so per season to pay for itself in the medium term. A new stadium would cost a fortune, almost certainly be located outside Newcastle and is just a non starter even if we had a decent team again.

..and long term? You can't do anything else with St James' once the Gallowgate is done.  To fill 60,000 we'd need new owners (Man City rich) and be up in the top 4 or 5 regularly

Perhaps I'm underestimating our fanbase. Not convinced we'd get 60k even remotely regularly under a new owner and still mid-lower table finishes though. We've had 50,000 or more 4 times (Arsenal 50,388, Leicester 50,151, Liverpool 51,273 & Everton 51,682) out of 12 this season

Perhaps I'm underestimating our fanbase. Not convinced we'd get 60k even remotely regularly under a new owner and still mid-lower table finishes though. We've had 50,000 or more 4 times out of 12 this season

Yet you are advocating building a new stadium over expansion of the Gallowgate !

Perhaps I'm underestimating our fanbase. Not convinced we'd get 60k even remotely regularly under a new owner and still mid-lower table finishes though. We've had 50,000 or more 4 times out of 12 this season

Yet you are advocating building a new stadium over expansion of the Gallowgate !

Nooo, I'm saying IF we had the need to expand the Gallowgate, we'd probably have need to go bigger. But we couldnt go any bigger at the current St James' anyway. Might a well cut out the middle part (Gallowgate expansion) and go straight to the bigger

Nooo, I'm saying IF we had the need to expand the Gallowgate, we'd probably have need to go bigger. But we couldnt go any bigger at the current St James' anyway. Might a well cut out the middle part (Gallowgate expansion) and go straight to the bigger

Factor in the costs to the returns and your idea is bonkers.

Factor in the costs to the returns and your idea is bonkers.

I'll accept that :lol:

What happens when we need bigger than 60k though? New stadium will come eventually anyway (unless something can be done about the listed building).

I'm assume that if the time did ever come where we needed more than 60k it'd probably be long after my lifetime anyway so..

Perhaps I'm underestimating our fanbase. Not convinced we'd get 60k even remotely regularly under a new owner and still mid-lower table finishes though. We've had 50,000 or more 4 times (Arsenal 50,388, Leicester 50,151, Liverpool 51,273 & Everton 51,682) out of 12 this season

Man City were getting 2k short most weeks in the old capacity but are getting close to capacity now in a bigger stadium.

Guest neesy111

I feel like I've been told this before, but why can't the east stand be expanded?

Leazes Terrace behind the East Stand is a magnificent example of Georgian architecture and Grade I listed.

Could it potentially be demolished and improved though?

I feel like I've been told this before, but why can't the east stand be expanded?

Leazes Terrace behind the East Stand is a magnificent example of Georgian architecture and Grade I listed.

Are you on the fucking wind up?

there would be virtually no change in design for the replacement.

I once thought a two tier stand overhanging like highbury built in the 90s, but too high for light I believe.

Remember mates in the 80s saying when they knocked the west stand down we should have moved the pitch west- didnt see it myself at the time- but they were proved right.

Think I know what you mean but this reads very funny. :lol:

:lol:

EDIT : Ah, you're talking about the East Stand aren't you ?

I asumed so- reading back tho- looks like he means leazes terrace. hmm

[emoji38] Post of the year, 3 out of 4 years. Gotta be nailed on.

Guest neesy111

I once thought a two tier stand overhanging like highbury built in the 90s, but too high for light I believe.

Remember mates in the 80s saying when they knocked the west stand down we should have moved the pitch west- didnt see it myself at the time- but they were proved right.

That's what I was thinking something link the North Bank at Highbury.  Tbf, it's a very old stand now, facilities are quite poor and will need refurbishing at some point soon.

Yes I was, I'm allu

Ah reet.

Guest neesy111

Yes I was, I'm allu

Ah reet.

That was quick, I had a double quote in my reply box.

That's what I was thinking something link the North Bank at Highbury.  Tbf, it's a very old stand now, facilities are quite poor and will need refurbishing at some point soon.

The facilities in the East Stand are fine and were refurbished when the ground was extended to 52k and the old boxes taken out.