St James' Park

Delima

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It wouldn't/couldn't be directly on Leazes Park. It would have to be primarily on the Castle Leazes area of the town moor to the north of LP - with perhaps only a small part of the footprint encroaching the edge of the existing Leazes Park. And you would have to offset this by extending the existing park down to Strawberry Place.

Worth noting that the university have been looking to rebuild their Castle Leazes accomodation. Buying that site together with Castle Leazes Town Moor would give a very big footprint to develop. It does push the ground further away from the centre though.

I get a bit confused about the various moors but are we basically talking about building on partly student accommodation and partly grass e.g. the town moor?  Where the freemen graze the cows?

Again would see huge opposition from environmentalists to that added to the complex ownership of that land (council the land and freemen of the city the turf).

I don't think we'd have the level of opposition we did in the 90s tbh. The council and freemen were in support of the previous project, and I'd imagine would be again. I think public support would generally be increased too with a clearer justification for needing to rebuild.

If you extended the existing park right down to Strawberry Place that would actually be a huge benefit to the city which has few proper green/recreational spaces in the centre. The biodiversity value of The Moor isn't even that great either. 

Again for me it's the only option if we can't extend the Gallowgate and East Stand to achieve 60-65k. Keeps the stadium as the centre piece of the city.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't think we'd have the level of opposition we did in the 90s tbh. The council and freemen were in support of the previous project, and I'd imagine would be again. I think public support would generally be increased too with a clearer justification for needing to rebuild.

If you extended the existing park right down to Strawberry Place that would actually be a huge benefit to the city which has few proper green/recreational spaces in the centre. The biodiversity value of The Moor isn't even that great either. 

Again for me it's the only option if we can't extend the Gallowgate and East Stand to achieve 60-65k.

I don’t remember the debate of the time just have an awareness that the freemen have a firm protect the moor mentality.

1 hour ago, OptimusSlime said:

I just don’t think building in Leazes Park is as viable as many seem to think on here.  It’s a Grade II listed Victorian park.  

I don’t go there often but I see bigger barriers to building there than I do Leazes Terrace.

The only viable site I can think of for a new city centre stadium is where the arena is.  Other than that you are out in the sticks.

Can we move the grass blade by blade to Beamish?

26 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Can we have the worlds only completely underground stadium? leave st james above it for the womens team ;)

I’d certainly see this is a viable alternative to the design that was posted on here where the stadium is floating in the sky with giant escalators up to it from street level 

Could get the architect of each competing design to have a fastest dancer competition at the Monument, the winner gets to make our dream stadium a reality 

While the entire city is distracted by the dancing we also take the opportunity to plough a wrecking ball through Leazes Terrace 

Edited by bobbydazzla

What indication has there been that our owners have any interest in spending the astronomical amount of money a new stadium would cost? As far as I know, the only time they’ve mentioned it at all is to talk about how they never want to leave SJP

42 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

What indication has there been that our owners have any interest in spending the astronomical amount of money a new stadium would cost? As far as I know, the only time they’ve mentioned it at all is to talk about how they never want to leave SJP

People still ignore this. 

I'm under no illusions that PIF will call the shots and if they want to move... it'll happen, but it would be a complete u turn from what Mehrdad said in his early interview and he'd have to be pretty bold to state it if it wasn't the message from the top. 

We dont need to move stadiums, we are nowhere near needing anything close to 70,000 stadium.

I think of they can knock down and rebuild the East Stand to increase the capacity, the advances in building infrastructure and technology has come on so much im sure its doable then extend the around the top of the gallowgate to make it symetrical.

If we can get an extra 10,000 seats so capacity is around 63,000 i think thats more than enough for where we are at the moment and probably the next 10 years tbh.

If you compare to other PL stadiums;

Emirates is 60,704

Spurs new stadium is 62,850

Anfield is being upgraded from 53,394 to 61,000 for this season

City of Manchester Stadium is going to be upgraded from 53,400 to 61,474 by 2026

1 minute ago, NUFC said:

We dont need to move stadiums, we are nowhere near needing anything close to 70,000 stadium.

I think of they can knock down and rebuild the East Stand to increase the capacity, the advances in building infrastructure and technology has come on so much im sure its doable then extend the around the top of the gallowgate to make it symetrical.

If we can get an extra 10,000 seats so capacity is around 63,000 i think thats more than enough for where we are at the moment and probably the next 10 years tbh.

If you compare to other PL stadiums;

Emirates is 60,704

Spurs new stadium is 62,850

Anfield is being upgraded from 53,394 to 61,000 for this season

City of Manchester Stadium is going to be upgraded from 53,400 to 61,474 by 2026

Short of science making a TARDIS possible, you are not extending the east stand to anything like that.

It’s also not just about a capacity number. It’s about the quality of the stadium. SJP is an old heap. They’ll want a shiny new thing with corporate boxes and places you want to spend your money at in the stadium. 

Edited by cubaricho

Would making the Gallowgate 'symettrical' not affect leazes terrace in some way? 

Can't picture it in my head, but how far towards Leazes terrace would it have to go up?  Surely even bringing the strawberry corner up to the same as the SW corner would affect the light or whatever it is that stops the east stand from being extended? 

No idea what the answer is but I hope they can come up with something to give significant enough increase without moving. 

I suspect the first major plan is building whole new training facilities which will likely include a modest stadium (like man city have) that will be used for women's games etc. Once that is built, so years down the line, they can rebuild/move whatever new stadium and we will play in the temporary stadium for a year, which will suck but hey ho. 

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

It’s also not just about a capacity number. It’s about the quality of the stadium. SJP is an old heap. They’ll want a shiny new thing with corporate boxes and places you want to spend your money at in the stadium. 

Exactly. This is something that is massively overlooked.

NFL stadiums have close to or over 100 corporate boxes, plus other executive seating.

They have huge concourses with different vendors, heck Spurs even have a Beavertown brewery.

Have you seen the size of Spurs’ megastore? It makes ours look like cleaners cupboard.

It would've taken the foresight and desire from the previous ownership to buy up the land, but I can't help feeling The Helix site would've been a perfect location for a new stadium.

Still in the city centre, and a stones throw away from St James' Park making the transition easy.

Instead (and I say this as someone working in one) the site is just office block after office block.

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

I suspect the first major plan is building whole new training facilities which will likely include a modest stadium (like man city have) that will be used for women's games etc. Once that is built, so years down the line, they can rebuild/move whatever new stadium and we will play in the temporary stadium for a year, which will suck but hey ho. 

We won’t be moving into something like that. We’ll end up putting temporary massive seating at either Kingston Park, or the International Stadium.

For the record, i do get all the arguments to move it, i understand it...but it's not fucking newcastle without the stadium at the top of the hill...

Would the council not move all teh roads around completely for us, seriously, just knock through anything, redesign the whole infrastructure of the city just to have the new stadium there, teh best placed stadium in the fucking country, visible all round as you approach...

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Exactly. This is something that is massively overlooked.

NFL stadiums have close to or over 100 corporate boxes, plus other executive seating.

They have huge concourses with different vendors, heck Spurs even have a Beavertown brewery.

Have you seen the size of Spurs’ megastore? It makes ours look like cleaners cupboard.

SJP has 77 boxes as it is which isn’t a mile away from close to 100.  All sold out this season mind.

7 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I had to bite my tongue :lol:

It's glorious and anybody saying otherwise can get to fuck. 

People need to see what the likes of Anfield is and what the surrounding location is like before calling SJP an "old heap" lol

I love St. James' - for its history, its location, its view of the city from the top seats and under the lights it is a fantastic ground for football. If there are improvements it would be no more than extra seating and the interior (bars / food / toilet area) rather than anything else at this point imo.

Doubt we will build a new stadium . Why would they spend hundreds of millions for not that big an increase in capacity ? Likewise i cant see the east stand or the gallowgate being extended . The cost wont justify the paltry increase in capacity . I reckon they will go through the motions of looking into it but the Sela Fanzone Park thingy will be a cheap way to attract and squeeze cash out of fans who cant get tickets and that will be a handy stream of new income they otherwise wouldnt get . 

12 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

For the record, i do get all the arguments to move it, i understand it...but it's not fucking newcastle without the stadium at the top of the hill...

Would the council not move all teh roads around completely for us, seriously, just knock through anything, redesign the whole infrastructure of the city just to have the new stadium there, teh best placed stadium in the fucking country, visible all round as you approach...

Thought about this before.  Basically just close Barrack Road where it is now and reroute it.  Allow the office buildings on the other side of Barrack Road to be bought by the club and you have a shitload of space.

While this is all being done, rent Stadium 974 from Qatar and put it on the Town Moor.

Job done.

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

An old heap :lol:

It’s pretty antiquated compared to the standards of the best stadiums now. The East Stand is an embarrassing shithole and the Milburn is pretty basic for a stand that is supposed to be the ‘luxury’ part of the stadium, as its suites are garbage. There is going to need to be a LOT of leeway given by various authorities to get SJP anywhere near the required standards.