St James' Park

Delima

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Tbf one of the biggest reasons we top that list is the same as the one every NUFC away fan wanted to know when Blackpool away was in 2009/10

Of course but when you’ve got a warm city welcome, x hundred welcoming boozers and food places walking distance from the draw is always going to be huge even if the reputation of the city is a draw too. 

Look at Wolves where you can barely drink anywhere as an away fan or Brighton were you have to rely on British fucking trains to get you to/from the game in the middle of nowhere. 

I’ve been to games here, there and wherever and without doubt the ones with best atmospheres are always the most accessible. 

Also, I’ll be in the minority on this but bring back 4 sided football grounds. Get a new ground and a bigger version of Koln with a massive steep one tier job behind one of the goals is the dream. 

4 minutes ago, JackieDoor said:

Not sure about that fish and beans like [emoji38]

Snoop’s ill fated follow up to Gin & Juice.

As fun as it is to do, we've got no solid evidence at all that PIF even want to pour in the sort of money required to build a super new stadium where money is no object.  This is an investment vehicle - cold, hard numbers will come into play.  This will also apply to any redevelopment of SJP.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not a clue. Is it literally just that it's brutalist architecture? Because there's examples of that everywhere. A city being embarrassed by brutalist architecture is like a person being embarrassed about wearing shoes.

It’s ugly architecture, that’s why. In the same way the city has great Georgian architecture to be proud of, then the remnants of the 1970s is equally something to shudder at. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

As fun as it is to do, we've got no solid evidence at all that PIF even want to pour in the sort of money required to build a super new stadium where money is no object.  This is an investment vehicle - cold, hard numbers will come into play.  This will also apply to any redevelopment of SJP.

With that in mind turning the stadium (and let’s not have that war again) into a venue not a football ground will be vital. 

Just now, Disco said:

Of course but when you’ve got a warm city welcome, x hundred welcoming boozers and food places walking distance from the draw is always going to be huge even if the reputation of the city is a draw too. 

Look at Wolves where you can barely drink anywhere as an away fan or Brighton were you have to rely on British fucking trains to get you to/from the game in the middle of nowhere. 

I’ve been to games here, there and wherever and without doubt the ones with best atmospheres are always the most accessible. 

Also, I’ll be in the minority on this but bring back 4 sided football grounds. Get a new ground and a bigger version of Koln with a massive steep one tier job behind one of the goals is the dream. 

No, I'm with you on the four-sided grounds.  Football is about the only area of life where I'm deeply conservative.  I don't like the bowl-style stadia - they're characterless.

If we stay at SJP in its current guise, I will add my name to the list of those who think the East Stand needs knocking down though - even if the number of additional seats is extremely small

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It’s ugly architecture, that’s why. In the same way the city has great Georgian architecture to be proud of, then the remnants of the 1970s is equally something to shudder at. 

Yep, I don't get misty-eyed when I see what T Dan Smith wrought.  It was cultural vandalism.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

No, I'm with you on the four-sided grounds.  Football is about the only area of life where I'm deeply conservative.  I don't like the bowl-style stadia - they're characterless.

If we stay at SJP in its current guise, I will add my name to the list of those who think the East Stand needs knocking down though - even if the number of additional seats is extremely small

Aye same. Still wonder if there’s scope to lower the pitch somehow even if, as you say, the capacity increase would be minimal. 

23 minutes ago, Wandy said:

That’s a total myth about the Etihad. For instance, Bournemouth fans do an away trip special YouTube video for each PL ground and they rated the atmosphere at the Etihad better than SJP. However they rated the overall match day experience up here as the best in the league, and that was mainly down to the stadium location and the warmth of the support to them as visitors. To be fair though, they did actually like the fact that all of the stands at SJP are of different design. The sheer physical size of SJP is what blows people way usually.

It's mentioned by away fans every season. That's not a myth :lol:

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's mentioned by away fans every season. That's not a myth :lol:

It is a myth. It’s a myth that City’s atmosphere is garbage and SJP’s is amazing. The truth is somewhere in between, and I’ve already pointed out that Bournemouth fans rated the Etihad atmosphere better. 

The Wor Flags experience at SJP is increasingly being confused with genuine atmosphere IMO. 

If people up and down the country are going to away matches and are regularly reporting that a stadium's atmosphere is bad and that another stadium's is good, that's not a myth, that's just you disagreeing with a popular opinion.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Got to say I've never gone to SJP and felt like I was missing out by what was being offered. I turn up 5 minutes before kick off like any sensible person, having ate/drank in one of the hundreds of other establishments in the city. I then stay in my seat and watch the match unless I'm bursting for a piss to the point I can't avoid it.

It genuinely amazes me that people are looking for anything else from their visits to a football stadium to be honest. 

Yep, same. In over 30 years, never once got to the ground in time to have a pint before kick off. There must be 300+ places to eat/drink within 15 minutes walk, with that much choice you're paying a quid more a pint of carling out a plastic beaker and a frigging hot dog? Nah. Thats why we have to stay where we are, or at least spitting distance of the city centre.

I remember Jasper Carrott (big Birmingham fan) doing a bit in town years ago, he said "so basically it's like if the Blues or Villa played just behind the Bullring?"

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If people up and down the country are going to away matches and are regularly reporting that a stadium's atmosphere is bad and that another stadium's is good, that's not a myth, that's just you disagreeing with a popular opinion.

Where's this popular opinion you speak of? I've literally just pointed out a set of fans who said SJP's atmosphere was worse.

Maybe it's my East Stand tinted specs as that was where my ST was, where I try and get a seat every match and all my mates I go the match with and my dad all still have their STs there but I like the Brutalist look of it juxtaposed with the Georgian architecture of Leazes Terrace. Then you walk down Terrace Place and turn around and look at the stadium; Georgian buildings, Brutalist structure and the glass cantilever structure of the Milburn and Leazes from 2000. Architectural history literally within a stone's throw of each other, personally think it looks class. 

Again, that's maybe just me. It's obviously dated now: was built during the 1972-73 season and I imagine, like the rest of the ground, has had no major architectural change or restructure since the expansion to L7 in 2000 when the black and white seats and executive boxes ay the front of the stand were taken out.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, I don't get misty-eyed when I see what T Dan Smith wrought.  It was cultural vandalism.

Cultural vandalism is correct. Post-war Post-war Newcastle has had quite a history of this - and not just under T Dan Smith, but in the subsequent decades too;  Handyside Arcade, for example.

I've outlined my opinion before on the vexing issue of what the best stadium solution would be. We all agree it should be city centre. I believe the long term interests of the club and city would be best served by moving to a trailblazing 70,000 home.

The Arena site may be a possibility once again (due to the house building plans seemingly collapsing) and Castle Leazes can be revisited. Both these options would be ideal - subject to quality of design, atmospherics, infrastructure, etc. 

There used to be a good atmosphere at Maine Road / CoM stadium.  I suspect that success flattens atmospheres in the long run - expectation means that wins are expected, and anything else is failure.  I'm happy for us to take part in a social experiment to see if this thesis is correct - if NUFC would oblige and win a lot of trophies that would help this research.  In the name of social science NUFC, get some trophies.

20 minutes ago, Ben said:

Would a new stadium come under FFP ? If not why not ? 

For Europe, yes, for the Premier League, currently no.

What we’ll see though is a PIF company funding the rebuild, and us leasing it, or buying the stadium back over a period of time.

Edited by Stifler

8 hours ago, Disco said:

You could make the concourses as nice or better but you’re fighting a losing battle as absolutely no one wants to go to the ground any earlier at Newcastle as there’s simply no need.

Better bait and HT would be your only market which is going to be fairly low increased revenue for NUFC games. 

It honestly depends on what’s on offer.

Currently the club is tied in with Sodexo, but you would think that we will come out of that deal. Maybe then we can start offering more than just Carling, and a burnt pie.

And honestly you are kind of wrong. Plenty of people both eat and drink in the stadium. The queues before the match and at half time are massive. If you need to get past to go to the toilets, you can’t.

On top of this, not only is space and issue, but the make up of who goes to games is different now. A lot more women go to games, and we are probably at the point where we need to start thinking if the toilet facilities for women are enough?

There is so much more to a new stadium/rebuild than just capacity.

19 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It honestly depends on what’s on offer.

Currently the club is tied in with Sodexo, but you would think that we will come out of that deal. Maybe then we can start offering more than just Carling, and a burnt pie.

And honestly you are kind of wrong. Plenty of people both eat and drink in the stadium. The queues before the match and at half time are massive. If you need to get past to go to the toilets, you can’t.

On top of this, not only is space and issue, but the make up of who goes to games is different now. A lot more women go to games, and we are probably at the point where we need to start thinking if the toilet facilities for women are enough?

There is so much more to a new stadium/rebuild than just capacity.

There never seems to be any queues for the women’s bogs?

42 minutes ago, Ben said:

Would a new stadium come under FFP ? If not why not ? 

Nope.

Only a club's outgoings in transfers, employee benefits (including wages), amortisation of transfers, finance costs and dividends will be counted over income from gate receipts, TV revenue, advertising, merchandising, disposal of tangible fixed assets, finance, sales of players and prize money. Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included.

6 hours ago, Wandy said:

Where's this popular opinion you speak of? I've literally just pointed out a set of fans who said SJP's atmosphere was worse.

You're citing Bournemouth fans as proof that the Etihad is a better away day than SJP? Surely not. One (presumably the smallest) supporter group who came up here just after the Queen died to watch the worst match at SJP last season.

The popular opinion I speak of is on nigh on every other Away Day YouTube, TikTok channel.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're citing Bournemouth fans as proof that the Etihad is a better away day than SJP? Surely not. One (presumably the smallest) supporter group who came up here just after the Queen died to watch the worst match at SJP last season.

The popular opinion I speak of is on nigh on every other Away Day YouTube, TikTok channel.

Show me all of these online reviews of the SJP atmosphere from away fans who went and raved about it then, and I will concede the point.