St James' Park

Delima

10 minutes ago, Magdad said:

If I was a betting man I’d be placing my bets on the remainder of the brewery land up Pitt Street (opposite The Earl) and purchasing the local neighbourhood properties ahead of leazes park or a ground extension 

Isn’t there a large Mosque in amongst them local neighbourhood properties

Not sure PIF will sign off on Thompsons of Prudhoe smashing a wrecking ball through an Islamic religious site  

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, Stifler said:

It’s not though, it’s owned by the Freeman of the city and its use given to the people of the city, with the council responsible for its upkeep.

I was led to believe that’s just the town moor not leazes park. It’s not anything I have definitive answers on just discussions with people who have businesses in the area that have said this. 

39 minutes ago, Heyzeus scrogg said:

No disperct Leazes park is dodgy as fuck after a certain time  not for any women, fuck all this grade 1 cobblers ,

As others have said, that’s nothing to do with listed status, aka the problems it faces is nothing that can’t be solved by proper management of the park.

It’s all a moot point in anyway, if we build a new stadium it would be on Castle Leazes, which isn't listed. The question then becomes is there enough room between the tree lines of Leazes Park, and the student accommodation to fit a new stadium in? 

3 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Isn’t there a large Mosque in amongst them local neighbourhood properties

Not sure PIF will sign off on Thompsons of Prudhoe smashing a wrecking ball through an Islamic religious site  

Couldn’t tell you. There’s student properties and a few houses on Pitt street. There’s then a housing estate running one length of it (the waste ground)

2 minutes ago, Magdad said:

Couldn’t tell you. There’s student properties and a few houses on Pitt street. There’s then a housing estate running one length of it (the waste ground)

Just looked, the mosque is further up the west road and it’s a large Sikh temple next to the waste ground 

IMG-9421.jpg

It's actually fucking dangerous 

46 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Listing is based on historic and/or architectural significance, as opposed to amounts of anti-social behaviour.

Yorkie it's a dump and a no go area after dark for women 

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

It’s a listed park, and it’s also not owned by the council.

I keep getting astonished by how dense some people are, it’s like the comments on in the chronicle.

It's a crime ridden shit hole is what it is if we want to be brutally honest here. An absolute waste of land these days. Shame as I used to be quite fond of it as a kid 30 odd years ago.

Something needs to be done along the lines of basically a land swap where a new stadium is built where the park is and a new park, hopefully one that is actually maintained by the council and monitored by park wardens to cut down on crime and anti social behaviour, is built in it's place as green areas are important.

Edited by Wallsendmag

1 hour ago, Magdad said:

If I was a betting man I’d be placing my bets on the remainder of the brewery land up Pitt Street (opposite The Earl) and purchasing the local neighbourhood properties ahead of leazes park or a ground extension 

Should just buy up the buildings on the opposite side of Barrack Road and reroute the road itself.  Will give you loads of space.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's a crime ridden shit hole is what it is if we want to be brutally honest here. An absolute waste of land these days. Shame as I used to be quite fond of it as a kid 30 odd years ago.

Something needs to be done along the lines of basically a land swap where a new stadium is built where the park is and a new park, hopefully one that is actually maintained by the council and monitored by park wardens to cut down on crime and anti social behaviour, is built in it's place as green areas are important.

Club approaches whomever they need to and offers to take a sliver of land so we can knock down SJP and build a new one which is on Leazes by a little. 

Offers to take on the management of the park and Jamie Reuben finally pulls his finger out and accomplishes something with a handy contract to a pal to make sure the park is, once again, a great asset for the city

Win win

18 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

A grade II listed park is definitely more destroyable than the grade I listed Leazes terrace 

2 hours ago, Heyzeus scrogg said:

SJP fuck all this nostalgia shit my fog game was a friendly against Benfica.

If the civic centre won't let us build on that crime ridden dump they've got listed...call there bluff and fuck off,

We are being held to ramson build a 70k stadium on the  outskirts 

Would destroy the club ffs. Bet you’re not from Tyneside. 

52 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Would destroy the club ffs. Bet you’re not from Tyneside. 

I don't think it would destroy the club, but it would fundamentally change the entire matchday experience.  It wouldn't be the same rocking up to Killingworth, Newburn or Percy Main or wherever.  But it wouldn't destroy the club (I wouldn't want to see us leave the city centre)

I’m pretty sure the council wouldn’t be averse to getting some of the Saudi schilling to improve the services they can offer. It wasn’t that long ago they were asking for help for free school meals. Money talks, and as labour are keen to use private investment to progress some of their plans, I’m sure the club will get their way somehow as long as it’s not too controversial. I’d be surprised if we don’t end up with a new ground in proximity to the existing one. 

Pretty sure both the freemen and city council would shit a brick at the thought of the club moving to the outskirts. Amount of businesses that rely on match day traffic was shown with the planning application for the fan zone. They’d buckle without it. 

12 hours ago, Sima said:

Should just buy up the buildings on the opposite side of Barrack Road and reroute the road itself.  Will give you loads of space.

Another bonus of Ashley owning us for 14 years, all that land was empty for a while and Barrack Road could have been redirected via Wellington leaving a huge area to use.

I think the location of the club has kept it going in bad times.  If it was away from the city centre, it would be easier to miss a game because of the hassle of getting there.

Also the transport links are current\y excellent for home and away fans.  Trying to get back to Central Station after a night game from the outskirts of town but be difficult.  You would probably have to build car parks meaning massive queue as well as improved transport infrastructure and there would probably be few facilities around which would please the club as they would benefit at the expense of city businesses.

56 minutes ago, Magdad said:

Pretty sure both the freemen and city council would shit a brick at the thought of the club moving to the outskirts. Amount of businesses that rely on match day traffic was shown with the planning application for the fan zone. They’d buckle without it. 

It would be a disaster for the city and bad for the club, can't see it happening on any level. 

12 hours ago, Sima said:

That's what I always thought. Barrack road could have been moved further onto the breweries site when they had a chance. The milburn could have been rebuilt and been much further back to create space for the east stand. 

With the clubs relationship with the brewery and ambitions to build a new stadium even back then it was an opportunity lost. 

It would have protected the listed buildings too like leazes terrace etc 

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Im assuming he means as a scare tactic not actually doing it

Exactly. The feasibility study will no doubt also show the money brought in to the local economy by the club, and given demand for tickets is fairly high, that will remain the same no doubt where the stadium is. Feels like the club have the upper hand to a degree to get what they want 

If you wanted to be cynical about it, the ground’s location is to the benefit of the wider city and the support - but it’s not actually to the benefit of the club.  What would be best for the club would be a stadium with few local amenities, forcing supporters to get there early and spend their money in the ground, not in local pubs.

Again, absolutely not advocating for this - the club should be in the city centre.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If you wanted to be cynical about it, the ground’s location is to the benefit of the wider city and the support - but it’s not actually to the benefit of the club.  What would be best for the club would be a stadium with few local amenities, forcing supporters to get there early and spend their money in the ground, not in local pubs.

Again, absolutely not advocating for this - the club should be in the city centre.  

Newcastle is one of the most compact city centres in the UK. If it’s a new stadium then Castle Leazes is the only alternative or the Arena site if still an option. There are no other options in the city centre and a tarting up of SJP just won’t do it.