St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

70k minimum. 80k would be great to host other events or even other European final events. 

By the way, how many do we have on the ST waiting list?

We don't operate with a waiting list so there isn't one to join.

13 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

For real? 🤯

There is not enough people coming off each season to make a waiting list worthwhile to be honest.

Also we have kicked out some season ticket holders for new corporate areas who will likely be on an unofficial waiting list.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

There is not enough people coming off each season to make a waiting list worthwhile to be honest.

Also we have kicked out some season ticket holders for new corporate areas who will likely be on an unofficial waiting list.

Just feels wild to me. Teams in America (with like 80, 90+ capacity in their stadiums) have decades-long waiting lists. 

Is it a cultural thing? 

I just think a lot about college sports here and how the attendance just crushes in towns that are far smaller than Newcastle.

Ann Arbor Michigan for instance, does crowds over 100k every week during college football season - in a town that is 1/3ish the population of Newcastle (123,851 / 307,565). 

It makes me wonder what the capacity could be at the new SJP. 

11 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Just feels wild to me. Teams in America (with like 80, 90+ capacity in their stadiums) have decades-long waiting lists. 

Is it a cultural thing? 

Nah not really. The likes of Liverpool, Man Utd etc all have season ticket waiting lists. The thing is though those clubs have a lot of supporters who travel from outside the area and both have either had expansions in the past, or are having some in the future. So accommodating them is more possible.

I don’t think the ownership of NUFC have fully got into gear on what to do yet, and I’m surprised that the membership, especially the Mags+ membership didn't double up as a season ticket waiting list when it was introduced this summer.

15 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I just think a lot about college sports here and how the attendance just crushes in towns that are far smaller than Newcastle.

Ann Arbor Michigan for instance, does crowds over 100k every week during college football season - in a town that is 1/3ish the population of Newcastle (123,851 / 307,565). 

College and high school sports are just not a thing here for spectatorship. We have our main teams, and we have our non-league teams.

What you have to remember is that land is much more a premium in the U.K. football grounds used to be built in housing estates, even in the olden days, SJP being in the city centre was a rarity. Now new ones are generally built in out of town retail parks because there is no room in the city centres, and you don’t want to build stadiums in residential areas either.

As such our stadiums never became the big capacity venues you got in America, so we are fairly used to >50k stadiums being fairly big.

As discussed in previous posts, if Spurs had the land, if Arsenal had the forthright and possibly land, they would be bigger capacity stadiums than they are now. Liverpool for some reason decided to rebuild Anfield over moving to a new stadium, probably because their owners are cheap bastards.

However when you say that college stadiums get 100k spectators or more, not many NFL stadiums come close to that, even newer ones are generally around 60k-70k in capacity.

To future proof our stadium, I honestly think we either need to build to about 80k, or have the ability to easily extend to that.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Is it a cultural thing? 

There was a waiting list in the 90s before the expantion to 52k. 

Also I get the feeling a trip to 'the game' in the US is a 'whole family' thing. I assume so anyway from footage I've seen. Whilst that's perhaps becoming less uncommon here, the match is still more somewhere a man would meet a few mates, quite a different demographic and one which limits the numbers who'd attend in person. 

Not saying that is right, but I think it's still true. 

Is it a cultural thing? 

NUFC used to have one back in the ‘90s - there were crazy numbers floated around at the time (100k), though I suspect that the real number would be well below that.

A successful NUFC fills an 80k ground, definitely.  We can comfortably drop to half that with sustained failure - though I still think that a properly run NUFC would not have the turbulence we often have had in the past

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

There is not enough people dying off each season to make a waiting list worthwhile to be honest.

Tidied

I bet they're not charging $65.00 a game though. 

12 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

US Bank Stadium is one of, if not the best in my opinion. Something like this with a huge single tier at one end and the window overlooking Leazes Park/City.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe473d43efc0ffc80e4a3637c94b1c65.jpeg

image.jpeg

This would be amazing but the fans closer to the pitch, right on top of the game, stick the corporate wankers way up away from the atmosphere...We must have prices for all age groups. 

4 hours ago, Tross said:

I bet they're not charging $65.00 a game though. 

I went o a basketball game in Miami not long ago and the cheapest seats I could get were about that 60-70$ range. Can see tickets increasing a lot in the near future...

A season ticket for 700-1000 seems really cheap in todays market (35-50 quid a home game)

1 minute ago, buzza said:

I went o a basketball game in Miami not long ago and the cheapest seats I could get were about that 60-70$ range. Can see tickets increasing a lot in the near future...

A season ticket for 700-1000 seems really cheap in todays market (35-50 quid a home game)

NBA?

I don't think there's any real point in a waiting list now as the way things stand the numbers who drop off every year wouldn't make it worthwhile and there'd be people waiting decades to get one.

Interestingly (and slightly morbidly I suppose) my dad enquired at the ticket office over the summer about what happens when he's unable to attend anymore or passes away (he's 72 but still in decent shape) and if his ticket can be passed down/transfered to another family member, ie me! when the time comes and was told that this is allowed so even an inability to be able to attend any more or even the death of a ST holder doesn't neccesarliy mean a seat becoming available.

Tbh any seats that do become available due to a ST holder not renewing I think they'd rather sell to members on a match by match basis for more money.

3 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tbh any seats that do become available due to a ST holder not renewing I think they'd rather sell to members on a match by match basis for more money

This is what I took away from my discussions after the gallowgate club affair.

I don’t think there’s any point in a waiting list right now, you’d have 30,000 people on it immediately, with no new tickets in prospect. 

Maybe when we expand and sell more STs, they can form a waiting list from the unsuccessful people. But still, no idea how position would be decided. 

12 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tbh any seats that do become available due to a ST holder not renewing I think they'd rather sell to members on a match by match basis for more money.

Exactly this.

The advantage of ST's to the club is that it's guaranteed revenue up front. But we sell out every game and single seats cost more per game than ST's, so it's effectively guaranteed but at a higher value

Plus ST holders are far less likely to spend money in the club shop etc etc

The benefit of ST holders to the club is mainly accounting certainty at the moment I guess, with demand this high they really are losing money in absolute terms. 

Nice to have some income guaranteed, but not at too high a cost. 

I would go for 80k too. Would hopefully get rid of any waiting list, as well as allowing hopefully cheaper tickets - making the club more accessible and not solely aimed at single young lads and the middle-classes. Many older fans inc the likes of myself, were priced out years ago.

Edited by Big Geordie

What is the latest we have heard from the club re: new training ground.

Have we heard anything yet? I haven't exactly been checking every day so am probably not up to date on developments.

When the takeover happened they mentioned this very early - I would have expected some movement in 3 years, bearing in mind timescales to actually build something better than just fit for purpose.

Edited by Sean