St James' Park

Delima

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

You know, you don’t actually need a completed feasibility study to state your intentions.

I think them doing the study is a signal of their intentions anyway though, they're going to do something. I think the reason for them not being so open about whats going on is because before this study is completed and looked at they don't know if the plans will be a new SJP or a new stadium somewhere else. 

I know someone said that it maybe down to problems with getting materials but you see the snail's pace we're at trying to get the new clubshop ready? I can't be arsed to imagine how long it'd take for us to get a new megastadium completed. I kmow you can't compare an apple to an orrange and all but fuck me, we are super slow and need a proper dictionary for the definition of the word 'imminent'.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You know, you don’t actually need a completed feasibility study to state your intentions.

If, for example, the outcome is that they have decided to build a new stadium at Castle Leazes they can't just come out and say that.

They will need to come to an agreement with the Freemen and any other landowners, go through a design process and pre-application consultation with the Council, and then probably release the news in a public consultation before submitting a planning application to try to avoid the same Friends of Leazes Park situation as in 1997.

In that circumstance, if they were just to state their intentions without going through that process first there would be a huge risk of jeopardising that development.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

If, for example, the outcome is that they have decided to build a new stadium at Castle Leazes they can't just come out and say that.

They will need to come to an agreement with the Freemen and any other landowners, go through a design process and pre-application consultation with the Council, and then probably release the news in a public consultation before submitting a planning application to try to avoid the same Friends of Leazes Park situation as in 1997.

In that circumstance, if they were just to state their intentions without going through that process first there would be a huge risk of jeopardising that development.

They don’t need to nominate a site, they can though state what it is they intend to do.  

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

I know someone said that it maybe down to problems with getting materials but you see the snail's pace we're at trying to get the new clubshop ready? I can't be arsed to imagine how long it'd take for us to get a new megastadium completed. I kmow you can't compare an apple to an orrange and all but fuck me, we are super slow and need a proper dictionary for the definition of the word 'imminent'.

Absolute par for the course in terms of the owners - a mate of mine is a senior commercial manager on a huge project at the moment in Riyadh ultimately being built by a party which will be familiar to us.  To say that they’re painfully slow and often don’t follow through would be an understatement.  

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Absolute par for the course in terms of the owners - a mate of mine is a senior commercial manager on a huge project at the moment in Riyadh ultimately being built by a party which will be familiar to us.  To say that they’re painfully slow and often don’t follow through would be an understatement.  

If that's how the Saudis operate I genuinely can't see anything being completed stadia-wise til 2040. 

From Waughs Q&A 

With St James’, the findings from the feasibility study which has been conducted over the past year have still not been released. Darren Eales, the CEO, claimed in July the results were “imminent”, but they are yet to be published.

The expectation is Newcastle will stay at St James’ and look to redevelop and expand, but that will require significant investment from PIF. Whether they are willing to plough in the hundreds of millions required to facilitate those upgrades will be indicative of their long-term commitment.

I’d be amazed if PIF after all the red tape to buy the club and the undoubted kudos of owning a PL club decided to just settle on being an also ran and leave us with a tarted up 52k SJP.

It was always sold as a long term investment and if they want to realise a 2 to 3 billion value it requires significant infrastructure investment.

I think we’ll see something next level even if it means staying at SJP and a complete rebuild lifting all the current roofs off.

7 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Think it’s mad to say we are being left behind because Leeds are extending to 53k. If that is their ceiling for the next 20/30 years, and same with Everton, is it varnigh where we are now. 

10k more at SJP and we are well ahead. Modernise it as well. Everton leaving their spiritual home for a blue seated legoland is something I don’t want for us. 

Worst of all worlds that. The best thing about it is Gallowgate and turning it into another Leazes would be poor. A new well designed ground would be far better than 3 sides of atmosphereless stands like the two we currently have. 

42 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’d be amazed if PIF after all the red tape to buy the club and the undoubted kudos of owning a PL club decided to just settle on being an also ran and leave us with a tarted up 52k SJP.

It was always sold as a long term investment and if they want to realise a 2 to 3 billion value it requires significant infrastructure investment.

I think we’ll see something next level even if it means staying at SJP and a complete rebuild lifting all the current roofs off.

My mindset is that we’re being run on our own sustainability these days with all of the “doping” that can be done under the current guidelines no longer happening.

It’s why we’ve seen no movement at all outside of tarting up what we already have on the training ground and redevelopment of the stadium.  Also why we still don’t have a training kit sponsor despite it being an open goal for injecting cash.

My theory is that PIF have become frustrated at all of the blocks put in place post takeover and don’t see a clear path for where they want the club to be.  

They would exit today if they received a good enough offer but why would anyone invest when the die has been cast with the hierarchy of the league, outside of an absolute miracle of scouting for a consistent 10-15 year period?

Edited by Sima

7 minutes ago, Sima said:

My mindset is that we’re being run on our own sustainability these days with all of the “doping” that can be done under the current guidelines no longer happening.

It’s why we’ve seen no movement at all outside of tarting up what we already have on the training ground and redevelopment of the stadium.  Also why we still don’t have a training kit sponsor despite it being an open goal for injecting cash.

My theory is that PIF have become frustrated at all of the blocks put in place post takeover and don’t see a clear path for where they want the club to be.  

They would exit today if they received a good enough offer but why would anyone invest when the die has been cast with the hierarchy of the league, outside of an absolute miracle of scouting for a consistent 10-15 year period?

Its bit of a depressing statement for competitive sport, but ultimately true 

You’ve got to wonder how much extra would, say a £2bn stadium investment give us per year?

I’d say very top end would be to compare us to Spurs (£80m extra per season based on 22/23 accounts) where the extra people through the door would counterbalance the higher entry price. Even then that’s probably a bit fanciful given their higher corporate costs.

Edited by Sima

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They don’t need to nominate a site, they can though state what it is they intend to do.  

Announcing that we are going to move without the details that it's only a few hundred meters and without details of a shiny new development would almost certainly cause an uproar.

From Waugh’s weekly Athletic q and a;

The expectation is Newcastle will stay at St James’ and look to redevelop and expand, but that will require significant investment from PIF. Whether they are willing to plough in the hundreds of millions required to facilitate those upgrades will be indicative of their long-term commitment.

1 minute ago, Paully said:

From Waugh’s weekly Athletic q and a;

“Expectation” his [emoji38] no quotes. Speculation story with a hint of negative thrown in. They know nothing! 

To be fair, all the journalists are saying that they expect something with SJP being done to be the preferred option, and the one they are leaning towards, however I suspect that largely comes from when Staveley, and Ghodoussi were here, and obviously before anyone has had a chance to survey what can actually be done with SJP.

SJP has been left behind, sure in the early 2000’s it was one of the best football stadiums, but now it’s not. The concourses are too small, the seat pitches in some areas of the ground make Ryanair blush, the amount of female toilets available for the increase in female attending is no longer enough. There isn't enough room for people to queue for food and drink, alongside consuming it on the concourse, everyone going to the toilets, people leaving and entering the concourses, and walking through.

There isn’t enough corporate facilities for where we aim to be, and also for current waiting list demand, heck we are still getting some corporate hospitality to walk up a narrow staircase that is enclosed with corrugated metal sheets.

We can’t just make the Gallowgate end mirror the Leazes, and reclad the rest of it. SJP needs major work, major reconfiguration, which from the outside is unlikely to be able to be done on the footprint we have available.

It is being left behind, in terms of capacity alone, we are off where we used to be. Leeds, like it or not is going to be competition for hosting events if they get a similar capacity, and can offer better facilities.

None of our fans issue, or impatience on the matter would be so bad if we haven’t heard for the last year that they are preparing to tell us what they want to do with the stadium, including that survey sent out a little while back, and then on top of those being told that the results are due imminently 6-8 weeks ago. This is on top of Man Utd making big statements about their stadium, Leeds saying they are going to expand, Everton about to move in to their new stadium, Liverpool in the process of rebuilding theirs, Spurs who were below a couple of decades possibly having the best stadium in sport, etc.

The vacuum of information, especially after being told we will be given it is what is pissing me and a lot of people off, because we have saw it all before with Ashley.

Edited by Stifler

2 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Announcing that we are going to move without the details that it's only a few hundred meters and without details of a shiny new development would almost certainly cause an uproar.

You don’t need to state a location to talk about plans

41 minutes ago, Stifler said:

To be fair, all the journalists are saying that they expect something with SJP being done to be the preferred option, and the one they are leaning towards, however I suspect that largely comes from when Staveley, and Ghodoussi were here, and obviously before anyone has had a chance to survey what can actually be done with SJP.

SJP has been left behind, sure in the early 2000’s it was one of the best football stadiums, but now it’s not. The concourses are too small, the seat pitches in some areas of the ground make Ryanair blush, the amount of female toilets available for the increase in female attending is no longer enough. There isn't enough room for people to queue for food and drink, alongside consuming it on the concourse, everyone going to the toilets, people leaving and entering the concourses, and walking through.

There isn’t enough corporate facilities for where we aim to be, and also for current waiting list demand, heck we are still getting some corporate hospitality to walk up a narrow staircase that is enclosed with corrugated metal sheets.

We can’t just make the Gallowgate end mirror the Leazes, and reclad the rest of it. SJP needs major work, major reconfiguration, which from the outside is unlikely to be able to be done on the footprint we have available.

It is being left behind, in terms of capacity alone, we are off where we used to be. Leeds, like it or not is going to be competition for hosting events if they get a similar capacity, and can offer better facilities.

None of our fans issue, or impatience on the matter would be so bad if we haven’t heard for the last year that they are preparing to tell us what they want to do with the stadium, including that survey sent out a little while back, and then on top of those being told that the results are due imminently 6-8 weeks ago. This is on top of Man Utd making big statements about their stadium, Leeds saying they are going to expand, Everton about to move in to their new stadium, Liverpool in the process of rebuilding theirs, Spurs who were below a couple of decades possibly having the best stadium in sport, etc.

The vacuum of information, especially after being told we will be given it is what is pissing me and a lot of people off, because we have saw it all before with Ashley.

The lack of information has been an ongoing issue for some time, pretty much since the takeover.  I don’t count Ghodoussi or Reuben talking shite on Twitter.  Actual communication with the support re actual plans and where the club is going - again, ‘we’re going to be number 1’ is meaningless.  The closest we’ve had was a pissed-up Staveley after the League Cup final making some ill-advised claims. 

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The whole area is ripe for redevelopment as well.

would have been perfect for everything I want the club to build moving forward

maybe there is still a very slim opportunity to buy it from homes england