St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

So, not being from Newcastle, would someone be kind enough to mark where the potential sites of a new stadium would be please?

image.thumb.png.0887120cdc6fd82e233bcd0c50662764.png

Just under where it says Just Park (down by the river) and just to the left of the lake next to where it says Newcastle Upon Tyne, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by cubaricho

4 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Just under where it says Just Park and just to the left of the lake next to where it says Newcastle Upon Tyne, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, okay thanks - difficult to consider the impact St James currently overlooking the city centre has, I'm guessing neither proposed location would equal the positioning, in terms of visibility from the rest of the city then.

Just now, Armchair Pundit said:

Ah, okay thanks - difficult to consider the impact St James currently overlooking the city centre has, I'm guessing neither proposed location would equal the positioning, in terms of visibility from the rest of the city then.

I think the second option above, just a bit away from the current spot, is actually higher up than the current location? I may be mistaken though as I'm not from there and I've only been around SJP once.

4 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

The arena site would be spectacular with bridges as back drop and coming into city via train would be some sight.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The arena site would be spectacular with bridges as back drop and coming into city via train would be some sight.

This was something I mumbled when it was first touted. Love coming back home from a few days away pulling slowly into central and catching the city. Would be even better seeing the stadium there, but it's just a little bonus in the grand scale of it all.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Just under where it says Just Park and just to the left of the lake next to where it says Newcastle Upon Tyne, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, to the left of the pond where it says Newcastle upon Tyne is where Castle Leazes is.

The arena site is next to a bridge where it says ‘Just Park’.

1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

The Castle Leazes option would still make it on top of a hill to so to speak, so if it was high enough, you would still be able to see it from miles out like you can with SJP. You likely wouldn’t be able to see the fans inside like you can with SJP at the moment.

The arena site you would see if you come in by train, but it wouldn’t be as visible from around the city centre or further out. Depending on if it was high enough, and had an open or semi-open goal end like NFL stadiums have, then you could potentially see a historic bridge or 2 from inside the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

There wasn't. They all sat down nicely as expected.

Ground is made up of 90% customers and 10% supporters who want to get behind the team sad state of affairs.

We’ve literally apart from wor flags got zero supporter culture anymore, I’d say at most PL grounds including top 6 large swathes stand throughout the match, its way to much effort for our lot who just want to turn up take a few pics, eat some shit food and run back and forward to the bog.

Support was finished for good in Ashley years and won’t ever recover now.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Ground is made up of 90% customers and 10% supporters who want to get behind the team sad state of affairs.

We’ve literally apart from wor flags got zero supporter culture anymore, I’d say at most PL grounds including top 6 large swathes stand throughout the match, its way to much effort for our lot who just want to turn up take a few pics, eat some shit food and run back and forward to the bog.

Absolute nonsense. 

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Bollocks it’s bang on support is shit.

No, it’s nonsense, are you basing it on tonight? Tonight was the single most dull game of football I can ever remember (I’m sure I’ve seen duller, but you know). No club in the entire premier would have had anything other than a painfully bored and quiet crowd.  

Just now, Hovagod said:

No, it’s nonsense, are you basing it on tonight? Tonight was the single most dull game of football I can ever remember (I’m sure I’ve seen duller, but you know). No club in the entire premier would have had anything other than a painfully bored and quiet crowd.  

I’m basing it on last few years the support couldn’t be arsed to even stand at Wembley it was embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

David Conn once described our support (and city generally) as having a ‘cap-doffing’ air about it - a bit too respectful of authority.  I reckon there’s truth to that - we never stood up in seated areas pre-Ashley

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

David Conn once described our support (and city generally) as having a ‘cap-doffing’ air about it - a bit too respectful of authority.  I reckon there’s truth to that - we never stood up in seated areas pre-Ashley

I’ve noticed this about the Ginola goal at Spurs in 95. Firstly, it’s strange to see loads of empty seats, but also we’re all sat as he scores. Likewise Watson’s at Anfield. I have always wondered why. I hate to give them credit for anything fan culture but was it Man Utd’s away support that kind of invented standing for ninety minutes at away games (in all seater stadiums). I’m a bit too young to remember the 90s but that’s how it appears.

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m basing it on last few years the support couldn’t be arsed to even stand at Wembley it was embarrassing.

About this time last year we beat PSG. The support was fucking immense, even during the warm up 30 minutes before ko. It was deafening during the first half especially. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think standing at away games probably came in regularly around the Dalglish era for us, football went through a strange time post all seater stadia for a bit don’t think anyone knew how to behave for a bit, but agree there’s a real reluctance to stand at home for some reason, it’s in stark contrast to Spurs new stand, the Kop, large swathes of Old Trafford, Gwladys Street End, South Stand Elland Road and even the Emirates.

Where an outlier in this and seems to really impact the support at SJP in terms of song book and general noise, certainly think the atmosphere is a myth by lazy journalists.

20 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Sadly find it hard to disagree.

Add to this the new type of fan - the TikTok lot. The likes of Adam Pearson and John Sinclair who would sooner film their ugly mugs talking inane, hard to understand fucking bullshit into their camera during the game. 

4 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

About this time last year we beat PSG. The support was fucking immense, even during the warm up 30 minutes before ko. It was deafening during the first half especially. 

One game sadly. There were some immense atmospheres in Howe’s first season too. Everton, Arsenal and Man Utd at home were electric. Nowadays people are sat back waiting to either be entertained or ticking down the minutes until they can get a shit pint of Carling. 

Can count the good atmosphere's in the league cup going back nearly 40years on one hand. (Boro 92, Man U 94, Leicester/Saints 22/23).

Nowhere is much different. Thats not the stadium contours and cant even be pinned on the contemporary demographic of fan.

At the risk of getting chewed out by someone from the match thread - the Man United 5-0 was followed by the worlds apart Oldham 1-0 in the league cup and that was in the KK era at the peak of fandom

Edited by Jonas

16 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

One game sadly. There were some immense atmospheres in Howe’s first season too. Everton, Arsenal and Man Utd at home were electric. Nowadays people are sat back waiting to either be entertained or ticking down the minutes until they can get a shit pint of Carling. 

Well surely people go to watch the match to be entertained. Isn't that the whole point unless your life is so genuinely miserable you just go to get away from the missus or get shit faced?

Given the cost IF its even possible to get a ticket I do want to be entertained. I've never been fortunate enough to be able to get a season ticket so on the rare occasions I can get in to the ground, yes I want to be entertained. Yes I will cheer every shot, chance, near miss and awesome tackle. But I will also boo borefests too

Edited by gjohnson