St James' Park

Delima

2 hours ago, Sima said:

A stadium on the arena site with an open section behind one of the goals with a view of the bridges would be unreal.

Like the Vikings stadium.

Be a pain in the arse to get to though - has to be in the City

Given we got 16 k more from the last expansion, I thought it’d be more than 8k more if included east stand. 

Surely a move out of town cannot really be on the cards. I’d rather spend a couple of decades lingering in the championship and league one that move out of town. 

Not really bothered which option they pick as long as they get rid of the East Stand and its regulars. 

Moribund collective cast of Cocoon, The Ringer and Fraggle Rock. 

Open air Westmorland Club bingo night

52 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think standing at away games probably came in regularly around the Dalglish era for us, football went through a strange time post all seater stadia for a bit don’t think anyone knew how to behave for a bit, but agree there’s a real reluctance to stand at home for some reason, it’s in stark contrast to Spurs new stand, the Kop, large swathes of Old Trafford, Gwladys Street End, South Stand Elland Road and even the Emirates.

Where an outlier in this and seems to really impact the support at SJP in terms of song book and general noise, certainly think the atmosphere is a myth by lazy journalists.

That's interesting. Wonder if we just got sick of the up and down nature of being a seated away fan and decided to stand. In the earlier days of that experience it was constantly an up and down, graze the shins affair but remember standing except for half-time at games at Coventry under Dalglish which cannot compare in importance or entertainment.

Guess its all about whether someone in front of you takes the responsibility away. Know from sitting front row of the East Stand from 1991 I was conscious of standing in seated areas, but would have been fine to.

Edited by Jonas

58 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

I’ve noticed this about the Ginola goal at Spurs in 95. Firstly, it’s strange to see loads of empty seats, but also we’re all sat as he scores. Likewise Watson’s at Anfield. I have always wondered why. I hate to give them credit for anything fan culture but was it Man Utd’s away support that kind of invented standing for ninety minutes at away games (in all seater stadiums). I’m a bit too young to remember the 90s but that’s how it appears.

Interesting about the empty seats. That's the season I first started going to away games as a little kid. I was asking my dad recently how I was able to get tickets in those  days - they were bought in my name, with no points or history of purchase - thinking they must have been in really high demand. I mean this was THAT season. But looks like they weren't in high demand? odd.

(my dad couldn't really remember but just remembers that it wasn't a problem. I never got declined a ticket til the FA Cup quarter at Tranmere in 99/00 when we only got about 700 tickets)

Was there not a travel issue with the Spurs game in 95?  Similar to Old Trafford later on with the snow?

Cant quite remember in the case of Sours but doesn't fit we'd have 5000 at Stoke for a league cup game midweek four days earlier and taking more there for a pre-season friendly a few month before..

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

Mixed areas aplenty those days too. Weird as it was only certain grounds (mainly London) but it’s proper jarring to see. 

Yes. Was in what they called 'the shelf' a few seasons earlier. When Beardsley scored we realised it was more a mixed zone than infiiltration.

If you look at the QPR away game in 94 there's fifty or so empty seats but we had the half the paddock which they didn't normally open to away fans, pockets all over the place and chunks of the stand opposite the main. Probably had a third of the crowd.

Edited by Jonas

There were loads of cup games pre-Ashley without an atmosphere or any kind of noise. Against that Arab Israeli team for example. We got destroyed 1-5 off Birmingham in one game and I remember sitting in three of the stands at different points in the game. 

20 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Interesting about the empty seats. That's the season I first started going to away games as a little kid. I was asking my dad recently how I was able to get tickets in those  days - they were bought in my name, with no points or history of purchase - thinking they must have been in really high demand. I mean this was THAT season. But looks like they weren't in high demand? odd.

(my dad couldn't really remember but just remembers that it wasn't a problem. I never got declined a ticket til the FA Cup quarter at Tranmere in 99/00 when we only got about 700 tickets)

If you went with the official travel club, you were pretty much guaranteed an away ticket even if you didn't have a ST.  Sometimes there'd be a dozen or so of us from my school going to away games in the mid-90s.  If didn't want to travel with the 'sarnie squad' (the official travel club was of course a dry coach), then you'd have to apply for a ticket and there'd be more chance of not getting a ticket.  All cup games relied on a points system.

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

Add to this the new type of fan - the TikTok lot. The likes of Adam Pearson and John Sinclair who would sooner film their ugly mugs talking inane, hard to understand fucking bullshit into their camera during the game. 

Those are a minuscule part of the +50k people sitting in the stadium tbf.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If you went with the official travel club, you were pretty much guaranteed an away ticket even if you didn't have a ST.  Sometimes there'd be a dozen or so of us from my school going to away games in the mid-90s.  If didn't want to travel with the 'sarnie squad' (the official travel club was of course a dry coach), then you'd have to apply for a ticket and there'd be more chance of not getting a ticket.  All cup games relied on a points system.

Ah yes, we did normally go with the official travel club (though did have ST).  Remember when I didn't get Tranmere ticket and my dad did we asked club and got told vaguely it was 'based on a 10 year record' (and I was only 10 years old). I had gotten 98 and 99 cup final tickets, so I guess the travel club matches counted towards the points still.

Went on Junior Magpies bus a couple of times too,  maybe 3 or 4 times. (First time Coventry away 95/96). Seems a shame that doesn't happen anymore.

Edited by Superior Acuña