St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Think they'll know moving outside of the city centre and not doing it either on current site, leazes or arena site will be nuclear to the fans particularly transport and all that. 

Moving to a new stadium outside the city would be the easiest decision to make if they didn't care how the backlash would be. Taking so long to make this decision suggests more negotiations need to be made to get whatever location we want in the city.

There is no way that any kind of rebuild on the current SJP site gives a stadium with a 70k capacity. For that reason alone it must surely be new stadium on a new site. Man Utd are going to have a new stadium with at least 80k and Liverpool have the potential to do something similar. But we are going to spend £1bn+ to build a stadium that is then locked in forever at the 60/65k mark? I'd be staggered if that was the plan.

This bit here says new stadium to me...

"But it must provide an investable return, and not least deliver strong revenue growth to increase our PSR headroom, which, as everyone knows, means we can invest more in football.

"Part of the process is also to understand alternative options so that we see the bigger picture and, again, find the right balance between risk and opportunity. This is a once-in-a-generation investment, so we don't want to look back in years to come, as a club or as a city, and regret an opportunity missed.

Did they build a temporary building like the Stack to prepare for a move away from the current location ?

What is the current proposals for the land at the Arena? 

Could they also purchase land right along the river and move the training ground ect there as well like Man City ?

That would be a once in a generation investment 

unless corporate + stadium sponsor name = +25m a year, I am still struggling to see how this massively closes the PSR gap unless they raise ticket prices a massive % (which would go down awfully).  Of course we will have a nice healthy bump of annual revenues from this for increased matchday income, some additional events/concerts, and of course some naming rights too I am sure. 

TBH, for me, this still is more about the next stage in our evolution as a club to have world class facilities and show the footballing world of our true ambitions. 

Edited by Kanji

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

Did they build a temporary building like the Stack to prepare for a move away from the current location ?

What is the current proposals for the land at the Arena? 

Could they also purchase land right along the river and move the training ground ect there as well like Man City ?

That would be a once in a generation investment 

Honestly, they bought the Stack land because it was unknown what they could and couldn’t with SJP, however in the consultation for the buildings they were going to build there, it was clear that it would prevent the club from putting a level 7 on the Gallowgate. A smaller extension of the Gallowgate was possible, but not a full one.

So they bought the land just incase they needed it, because if they didn’t, the club would have to move from the SJP for any meaningful expansion.

The land maybe used for a rebuilt SJP, or if we go to Castle Leazes, we could build a permanent fan park there, depending on how popular it proves to be long term.

The club may also sell it to developers, as it happens one of the owners is from a massive property developer family.

I don’t know the numbers but I guess we could probably triple or quadruple our matchday revenue with more tickets, better facilities, better retail, more corporate etc. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I know that the idea has been rubbished on here, but I could genuinely see us ground sharing with SAFC for at least one season. They are skint & Louis-Dreyfus could definitely be persuaded to allow it if the financial incentive is significant enough.

A Mackem on RTG has posted about hearing a rumour that we have discussed it with them already. A two year ground share apparently.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

I know that the idea has been rubbished on here, but I could genuinely see us ground sharing with SAFC for at least one season. They are skint & Louis-Dreyfus could definitely be persuaded to allow it if the financial incentive is significant enough.

A Mackem on RTG has posted about hearing a rumour that we have discussed it with them already. A two year ground share apparently.

That only makes sense re a rebuild on SJP footprint 

What are we expecting in the new year then? Either way will we see concept art or concrete ideas of the new SJP or stadium, or just a decision of what they're gonna do? I'm not overly familiar with planning like this so not sure if they cover all that in these stages.

2 minutes ago, DiddyLevine said:

That only makes sense re a rebuild on SJP footprint 

Or a rebuild that takes up some of the existing footprint and also a partial footprint on the park. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s a soulless out of town location and nowhere near Newcastle. 

Also, isn’t Newcastle racecourse in regular use for racing? 

Not that much these days . Guess who owns Newcastle Race course ? 

1 minute ago, DiddyLevine said:

Because ? 

Because it's miles away from the centre of town.  Elswick riverside would be a better choice than that for me.

Additionally, honestly not to be down on anybody who's genuinely excited by this prospect because your opinion is worth as much as mine, but how good something will look to people coming in on a train, or from a drone shot with the river behind it shouldn't be anywhere near our thinking, like :)  I keep reading this as a reason for the arena site, "because it'll look good for people who aren't there and most of them won't go / will look good on the telly".  Complete non-issues imo :lol: