St James' Park

Delima

5 hours ago, Chapo said:

One suggestion we could borrow from the American sports would be to knock down Leazes Terrace using t-shirt cannons. 

A novel idea. I’d suggest for posterity we move the rubble to Beamish and rebuild it in full, brick by motherfucking brick.

16 hours ago, Stifler said:

I never said I did, I just said that I can see it coming.

Clubs will be trying to compare their income streams with that of the NFL and will be asking why NFL teams get more money from food and beverages etc.

The main answer is you can’t drink alcohol in the seating area in the UK which rules out whilst the game is on unless you drink on the inside concourse. 

Some people do that of course which I find baffling.

Yeah, interestingly in recent years UEFA have lifted their ban on alcohol within sight of the pitch. I wonder if our government will consider a similar move, surely you would think that the clubs themselves will be pushing for it.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, interestingly in recent years UEFA have lifted their ban on alcohol within sight of the pitch. I wonder if our government will consider a similar move, surely you would think that the clubs themselves will be pushing for it.

Am sure they will be desperate for that after all the recent incidences of crowd trouble. Yes definitely more alcohol please, that will be fine

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Good, it would have been absolutely shite :lol:

I don't think it was ever a viable option either tbf

I know I’m just bored at work today

42 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Good, it would have been absolutely shite :lol:

I don't think it was ever a viable option either tbf

The long-standing "Quayside West" housing proposed for this location always made it an unlikely option, even when enlarged after the Newcastle Arena moves out . . . 

Quayside West Housing Development Site.webp

13 minutes ago, manorpark said:

The long-standing "Quayside West" housing proposed for this location always made it an unlikely option, even when enlarged after the Newcastle Arena moves out . . . 

Quayside West Housing Development Site.webp

Imagine that location though for a football ground, get a massive cut out in one of the stands for a view of the bridges akin to PNC Park.

Think Castle Leazes is the only alternative for a new stadium now and that comes with massive issues to overcome.

Hopefully, these architects can come up with something spectacular for a full renovation of SJP in line with the Bernabau.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Just about the only viable option in the city centre.  Would’ve been perfect in all honesty. 

My daughter is a Consultant Town Planner and had visited the site and said it would’ve been the ideal place to build a new stadium, oh well🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

My daughter is a Consultant Town Planner and had visited the site and said it would’ve been the ideal place to build a new stadium, oh well🤷‍♂️

Seems a huge missed opportunity. Could have been spectacular there if done well, with plenty of scope to make it the 2030 focused stadium that will be the envy of pretty much every club bar Real Madrid or Spurs.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Its transport links as pretty much as good as SJP

I don’t really want to go over it, as now it’s ruled out, it’s completely irrelevant, but.. if you’re coming from the (localised) west you’re more than likely coming in via the Redheugh Bridge or Scotswood Road.

If you were to whack a new mega stadium at that location, you make those two routes, that get very congested on match day, even more congested, possibly to the point where they struggle to cope.

Maybe they’d get round it with some large-scale park and rides somewhere the other side of Gateshead and somewhere near the MetroCentre, but you’d need a fair chunk of land.

Anyway, like I said, all irrelevant now, so I’ll not waste everyone’s time any further.

20 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Seems a huge missed opportunity. Could have been spectacular there if done well, with plenty of scope to make it the 2030 focused stadium that will be the envy of pretty much every club bar Real Madrid or Spurs.

Agreed, my daughter told me Wembley Way like access could have been built to access Central Station and Metro. Huge missed opportunity.

its a shame they built on the brewery site in hindsight with the helix etc 

that whole area would have been canny but we were taken over 10 year too late

Screenshot2024-02-15141415.thumb.jpg.1e2220af48ad503a6dca80b4c0f139ca.jpg

Edited by Cookie1892

26 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Would have been immense with a cutaway in one of the corners with a view of the bridges as previously mentioned.

I’m a firm believer that we need more homes in built up areas to reduce the need for commuting etc, however with that site I’m not so sure.

Irregardless of us ever using that as a location for a Newcastle United stadium, I have long thought that they should use that site for various, and multiple sporting facilities. Maybe a replacement for Kingston Park, maybe a cycling velodrome, or an ice rink so we can bring back an Ice Hockey team to the city. Also think maybe we could built a small athletic stadium to replace the Gateshead International stadium.

Edited by Stifler

43 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Agreed, my daughter told me Wembley Way like access could have been built to access Central Station and Metro. Huge missed opportunity.

Yeah, the old railway bridge would have been used as a pedestrian access, and would have brought you direct to Central Station. There were plans some years back for an arena rebuild with travellators running along it.

The downsides travel wise would have been that it’s a bit further out from the main local bus stations, and all the Metro passengers would have been lumped into 1 station instead of spread out between all the city centre stations, and Jesmond station.

59 minutes ago, SteV said:

I don’t really want to go over it, as now it’s ruled out, it’s completely irrelevant, but.. if you’re coming from the (localised) west you’re more than likely coming in via the Redheugh Bridge or Scotswood Road.

If you were to whack a new mega stadium at that location, you make those two routes, that get very congested on match day, even more congested, possibly to the point where they struggle to cope.

Maybe they’d get round it with some large-scale park and rides somewhere the other side of Gateshead and somewhere near the MetroCentre, but you’d need a fair chunk of land.

Anyway, like I said, all irrelevant now, so I’ll not waste everyone’s time any further.

Don’t forget the potential organised booze ferries collecting from North & South Shields and also up to Blaydon & beyond. Would’ve been class…

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Don’t forget the potential organised booze ferries collecting from North & South Shields and also up to Blaydon & beyond. Would’ve been class…

The one’s up the Thames might be class, but I’m not sure going up in the Tyne when it’s -3 in January would have the same effect…😃