St James' Park

Delima

2 hours ago, SteV said:

Didn’t see how that site ever really worked from a transport infrastructure POV.

Doesn’t matter now though.

What transport infrastructure would it have needed? It's not quite as good a location as SJP but it benefits in the same way any city core location in that the transport infrastructure already exists. It would make a great location for a new stadium for all the same reasons it makes sense as a sustainable residential development. 

On a football fan level I dislike it because I don't really like new stadia built in urban extensions, they 'feel' soulless to me. But as a means of finally developing a long vacant brownfield site with hugely restrictive sunk costs it would make a lot of sense.

If we have to move from SJP then the 2 city centre locations were Arena and Castle Leazes (if you want to class Castle Leazes as city centre).

I think the arena site would have been fantastic. Alas not to be.

Castle Leazes has it's problems, so that might not happen.

So if it's not SJP, the ground might be outside the city centre, which I think would be really bad news.

24 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, the old railway bridge would have been used as a pedestrian access, and would have brought you direct to Central Station. There were plans some years back for an arena rebuild with travellators running along it.

The downsides travel wise would have been that it’s a bit further out from the main local bus stations, and all the Metro passengers would have been lumped into 1 station instead of spread out between all the city centre stations, and Jesmond station.

I’ve just been speaking to my daughter, she said it’s been ‘master planned’ for housing and that doesn’t mean that it’ll definitely happen, although now there’s been a public announcement it could drive up local expectations. So it still could be available it would depend if our owners wanted to buy the land or put forward plans for a new ground. 

28 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Don’t forget the potential organised booze ferries collecting from North & South Shields and also up to Blaydon & beyond. Would’ve been class…

Also the line up to Blyth, Ashington is opening soon straight into the Central Station.

Just now, FloydianMag said:

I’ve just been speaking to my daughter, she said it’s been ‘master planned’ for housing and that doesn’t mean that it’ll definitely happen, although now there’s been a public announcement it could drive up local expectations. So it still could be available it would depend if our owners wanted to buy the land or put forward plans for a new ground. 

Yeah, up until foundations etc all go in, everything is up for grabs. If homes England own it then don’t expect anything to quickly happen. On major projects the government like to make multiple announcements, it makes them look good.

The land will effectively be for sale in anyway, they will be selling to developers, homes England don’t do the building themselves, they only put in roads and such via subcontractors. They are doing exactly just that at a development on the Northern edge of Morpeth right now.

If we wanted the site and paid enough they would sell to us, although we may either have to give them land on in return to build houses, or compo them a bit on top to buy new land.

That job will already have been earmarked for someone, or someone has already been working on it and are waiting to be given a transfer of title etc, but they legally have to let people apply for it.

Even Homes England have owned the land for a while, but this announcement is just there to give Sunak’s pledge to build houses in urban areas some credence, like I was saying before, multiple announcements.

17 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, up until foundations etc all go in, everything is up for grabs. If homes England own it then don’t expect anything to quickly happen. On major projects the government like to make multiple announcements, it makes them look good.

The land will effectively be for sale in anyway, they will be selling to developers, homes England don’t do the building themselves, they only put in roads and such via subcontractors. They are doing exactly just that at a development on the Northern edge of Morpeth right now.

If we wanted the site and paid enough they would sell to us, although we may either have to give them land on in return to build houses, or compo them a bit on top to buy new land.

That job will already have been earmarked for someone, or someone has already been working on it and are waiting to be given a transfer of title etc, but they legally have to let people apply for it.

Even Homes England have owned the land for a while, but this announcement is just there to give Sunak’s pledge to build houses in urban areas some credence, like I was saying before, multiple announcements.

My daughter did work on the master plan, she’s left local planning now acting as a consultant nationally. So not all lost still a sliver of hope.

Just now, FloydianMag said:

My daughter did work on the master plan, she’s left local planning now acting as a consultant nationally. So not all lost still a sliver of hope.

I’m sure someone on here a while back said the council had actively encouraged club to look at this site but they weren’t interested.

Just hope they know more than they’ve let on about feasibility of expanding SJP, or we could be left with no options bar an out of town stadium, which would be unpalatable to vast majority.

I don’t get the impression there is any intention to move from SJP on the club’s part and I’m confused why so many seem convinced otherwise. They’ve been here for two years and a bit at this point and-unless I’ve missed something- not a peep about a new stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

I don’t get the impression there is any intention to move from SJP on the club’s part and I’m confused why so many seem convinced otherwise. They’ve been here for two years and a bit at this point and-unless I’ve missed something- not a peep about a new stadium. 

Maybe because they’re very limited in extending the capacity of SJP, I certainly don’t hold the view that it’s SJP and nothing else.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

What transport infrastructure would it have needed? It's not quite as good a location as SJP but it benefits in the same way any city core location in that the transport infrastructure already exists. It would make a great location for a new stadium for all the same reasons it makes sense as a sustainable residential development. 

On a football fan level I dislike it because I don't really like new stadia built in urban extensions, they 'feel' soulless to me. But as a means of finally developing a long vacant brownfield site with hugely restrictive sunk costs it would make a lot of sense.

As a mentioned earlier, it’s from the perspective of the road infrastructure from the west and probably car parking as well (if you’re coming from the west where would you park, without having to drive past the stadium and into town?).

Anyway, all irrelevant now.

2 hours ago, SteV said:

The one’s up the Thames might be class, but I’m not sure going up in the Tyne when it’s -3 in January would have the same effect…😃

What about when it is -3 in January on the Thames?

It is like that there more often than it is here.

51 minutes ago, manorpark said:

What about when it is -3 in January on the Thames?

It is like that there more often than it is here.

I don’t think we (Newcastle fans) have done one of the pre-match Thames cruises in winter have we?

If the club moved out the city centre they'd lose fans. 

Just my opinion like but for me the city centre location acts like a magnet 

I'd rather they demolish SJP and play with temporary stands at Gateshead. 

The existing footprint with a better design would yield far more seats. 

My preference though would be to move 100m into leazes park constructing half the stadium behind SJP (like spurs and Bilbao) 

The club could make an agreement to make the land around the new SJP into a park and maintain it rather than the current leazes park left to rot 

10 hours ago, SteV said:

I don’t really want to go over it, as now it’s ruled out, it’s completely irrelevant, but.. if you’re coming from the (localised) west you’re more than likely coming in via the Redheugh Bridge or Scotswood Road.

If you were to whack a new mega stadium at that location, you make those two routes, that get very congested on match day, even more congested, possibly to the point where they struggle to cope.

Maybe they’d get round it with some large-scale park and rides somewhere the other side of Gateshead and somewhere near the MetroCentre, but you’d need a fair chunk of land.

Anyway, like I said, all irrelevant now, so I’ll not waste everyone’s time any further.

I’m from the west end - when I used to go to the match, if I wasn’t setting off early then most of the time it would be the bus us the west road, then up and past the Black Bull and down Barrack Road again.  It was chocka in any case - it would just be moving from a congested West Road to a congested Scotswood Road

14 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

If the club moved out the city centre they'd lose fans. 

Just my opinion like but for me the city centre location acts like a magnet 

I'd rather they demolish SJP and play with temporary stands at Gateshead. 

The existing footprint with a better design would yield far more seats. 

My preference though would be to move 100m into leazes park constructing half the stadium behind SJP (like spurs and Bilbao) 

The club could make an agreement to make the land around the new SJP into a park and maintain it rather than the current leazes park left to rot 

I agree, the Stadium has to be slap bang right in the middle of the city, it pulls people in from all sides of the surrounding area. 

If the stadium was out of the city right now and was trying to be moved in city the arena site / along the river would be a lottery win of a location. But as it stands I don’t know how you don’t just maximize what we have and where we have it. Cost aside, it’s absolutely perfect. And always, the only way you can get round to building a new one nearby now is basically replicating the one that failed under SJH but not making it look like a soulless bowl. 

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If the stadium was out of the city right now and was trying to be moved in city the arena site / along the river would be a lottery win of a location. But as it stands I don’t know how you don’t just maximize what we have and where we have it. Cost aside, it’s absolutely perfect. And always, the only way you can get round to building a new one nearby now is basically replicating the one that failed under SJH but not making it look like a soulless bowl. 

I know it's heresy, but I actually think the arena site would be excellent. To be able to see the stadium clearly when coming over the Tyne bridge or on the railway would be just as special as the cathedral on the hill. 

Just now, Dr. TC said:

I know it's heresy, but I actually think the arena site would be excellent. To be able to see the stadium clearly when coming over the Tyne bridge or on the railway would be just as special as the cathedral on the hill. 

The Newcastle Arena site is no longer available.

Our current City Centre location is the BEST one we could ever have.

Just 'watch this space' for the very first real evidence of our hugely wealthy owners spending M A S S I V E amounts on our club as SJP is extended and transformed.

Just remember who we now are and sit back and enjoy the ride.

6 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Just 'watch this space' for the very first real evidence of our hugely wealthy owners spending M A S S I V E amounts on our club as SJP is extended and transformed.

Is this based on inside knowledge?

7 minutes ago, manorpark said:

The Newcastle Arena site is no longer available.

Our current City Centre location is the BEST one we could ever have.

Just remember who we now are and sit back and enjoy the ride.

The Arena site has been master planned, it could still be available however the club would need to make moves to approach the Council and buy the land. A Master Plan is not the final plan.

If we are staying at SJP I want to see it completely transformed like the Bernabau has been. Think just extending the Gallowgate would be a short term fix at huge cost, I’m hoping they’ve got something up their sleeve that blows everyone’s mind and makes SJP one of the best stadiums around.

Edited by Whitley mag

Unless they have the ability to bend space and time up their sleeve its going to be very difficult to blow our minds on the current site given restrictions on two sides. If the brewery was available like cookie said the previous page then sure but its not

Turn Gateshead International into a temporary Premier League standard stadium ala that Qatar World Cup. We play there while demolishing and rebuilding SJP. 

Or, swap Leazes Park with SJP and build it there. Turn SJP into a more modern park once we have moved into the new stadium.

No chanege to our location.

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

Unless they have the ability to bend space and time up their sleeve its going to be very difficult to blow our minds on the current site given restrictions on two sides. If the brewery was available like cookie said the previous page then sure but its not

Benedict Cumberbatch Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios
Mehrdad as Dr Strange?

4 hours ago, Fezzle said:

Imagine they hadn’t built all that shite around the brewery for the uni man.