St James' Park

Delima

18 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Aye some awful looking buildings around there. I’m sure someone could enlighten me but seems like there’s not an abundance of activity on campus.

There are some University buildings amongst all of the buildings, but Helix is by no means a 'campus' !!

Aye, I work in The Lumen.

Think all 5 floors are now occupied, and the building opposite (The Spark?) is now starting to fill up.

Edited by TBG

The other non-uni buildings host science and research organisations. It's the residential phases that haven't come forward which doesn't help the ghost town vibe. Legal and General are proposing two rental towers in the middle which would be higher than Hadrian's Tower.

Personally think the whole development  should have been more high rise tbh rather than the cubic look. It's not Grainger Town, why the need to flatten everything. Although people seem afraid of tall buildings.

Would have been an amazing site for stadium if we'd been taken over a decade earlier.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Aye some awful looking buildings around there. I’m sure someone could enlighten me but seems like there’s not an abundance of activity on campus.

It's made up of students and staff who are much more like hermits than a lot of the students on main campus. Computer science, data science, big data, you probably get the idea. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Aye, I work in The Lumen.

Think all 5 floors are now occupied, and the building opposite (The Spark?) is not starting to fill up.

I also work in the lumen. 

😮

anyway, it’s definitely busier this last 6 months than previous. Guessing “post” Covid things are being occupied more. 

8 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

If we are staying at SJP I want to see it completely transformed like the Bernabau has been. Think just extending the Gallowgate would be a short term fix at huge cost, I’m hoping they’ve got something up their sleeve that blows everyone’s mind and makes SJP one of the best stadiums around.

It definitely needs to happen on that kind of level if we truly want to challenge the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool on a long-term basis. We need a mountain of revenue to come from our stadium and a tarted up SJP simply won’t cut it.

The brewery ground would have been a golden opportunity with these owners :banghead:

It's almost certainly out of the city centre if we want a new ground. I'd be shocked it it were to happen. Think an upgraded St James' is the only realistic prospect.

5 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

The brewery ground would have been a golden opportunity with these owners :banghead:

It's almost certainly out of the city centre if we want a new ground. I'd be shocked it it were to happen. Think an upgraded St James' is the only realistic prospect.

Leazers park the only option, just like that Spurs build

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

It definitely needs to happen on that kind of level if we truly want to challenge the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool on a long-term basis. We need a mountain of revenue to come from our stadium and a tarted up SJP simply won’t cut it.

Tbf that's all Liverpool have done with Anfield. Extended 2 stands, which is exactly the same as what we need to do. Even just extending the Gallowgate moves us more or less level with Anfields capacity and that's before we touch the East Stand. Surely bringing the Gallowgate up to the heights of the Leazes/Milburn and maybe cantilevering the East stand/giving it a steeper rake, should get us up to 65k which puts SJP back into 2nd place behind Old Trafford.

11 hours ago, manorpark said:

The Newcastle Arena site is no longer available.

Our current City Centre location is the BEST one we could ever have.

Just 'watch this space' for the very first real evidence of our hugely wealthy owners spending M A S S I V E amounts on our club as SJP is extended and transformed.

Just remember who we now are and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Our match day income is currently one third of Spurs’.  I doubt a potentially unfeasible Gallowgate extension to add 7,000 of the cheapest seats in the ground is going to claw that back by much.  SJP as it stands isn’t fit for purpose 

20 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tbf that's all Liverpool have done with Anfield. Extended 2 stands, which is exactly the same as what we need to do. Even just extending the Gallowgate moves us more or less level with Anfields capacity and that's before we touch the East Stand. Surely bringing the Gallowgate up to the heights of the Leazes/Milburn and maybe cantilevering the East stand/giving it a steeper rake, should get us up to 65k which puts SJP back into 2nd place behind Old Trafford.

Anfield’s rebuilt Main Stand completely revamped and increased the corporate capacity & intake.  Capacity isn’t the only way to catch up to Liverpool and Man Utd - loads of corporate is.  SJP just doesn’t have that at the moment.  Liverpool’s matchday revenue is more than £40m more than ours - though their cheapest ST is also £200 more expensive than ours.  So to catch up, we’d need to hike the average ST price up by 50% and somehow add a load of corporate to a stadium that doesn’t currently have sufficient space for it.  Man Utd’s matchday revenue is £100m more than ours. 

26 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Anfield’s rebuilt Main Stand completely revamped and increased the corporate capacity & intake.  Capacity isn’t the only way to catch up to Liverpool and Man Utd - loads of corporate is.  SJP just doesn’t have that at the moment.  Liverpool’s matchday revenue is more than £40m more than ours - though their cheapest ST is also £200 more expensive than ours.  So to catch up, we’d need to hike the average ST price up by 50% and somehow add a load of corporate to a stadium that doesn’t currently have sufficient space for it.  Man Utd’s matchday revenue is £100m more than ours. 

Whilst our cheapest season tickets are really cheap (level 7) our average prices are on a par with Liverpools and dearer than Man Utd. Man Utd is £570 in the Stretford End, which is their equivalent of the Gallowgate and our East Stand season tickets (standard price £811) are dearer than their equivalent seats. Man City's season tickets are quite a bit cheaper than ours. Then we have the Platinum Club and 1892 at around £1k a season.

Where Man Utd and Liverpool really pull away from us is having 1000s of tourists from all over the planet visiting every home game spending an absolute arm and a leg on merchandise and an enhanced matchday experience. They deliberately cap season ticket numbers at well below capacity to facilitate this, with Liverpool having around 28k ST holders and Man Utd 55k.

There's still much more they can do with the Milburn Stand. We did a tour not so long ago and there's still loads of unused space on all levels and you'd also think a revamped East Stand would be prime for some hospitality. 

We also seem to have a pretty sizable number of season ticket holders still on Ashley's 'please don't go' plans and, while I'm happy for any individual benefiting from this, the club really needs to be getting every possible pound out of season tickets.

2 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

We also seem to have a pretty sizable number of season ticket holders still on Ashley's 'please don't go' plans and, while I'm happy for any individual benefiting from this, the club really needs to be getting every possible pound out of season tickets.

It's important to get the balance right though. We aren't a Region swimming in cash. No point in having a great football team if its supporters can't afford to come and watch it.

28 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's important to get the balance right though. We aren't a Region swimming in cash. No point in having a great football team if its supporters can't afford to come and watch it.

I agree, love this quote from Bayern’s president:

“We could charge more than £104. Let’s say we charged £300. We’d get £2m more in income, but what’s £2m to us?”

“In a transfer discussion, you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk.”

Forget some of the London clubs or Man United. City’s matchday income prior to last season (minus ~10% for all the extra games they consistently play) should be the initial target. That’s another £15-20m from last season.

3 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

This is why I’d rather see a new ground with shitloads of corporate - to try and keep ST costs to a minimum.  I wouldn’t want to see the average matchgoer in the NE being hammered to go to the football 

On 16/02/2024 at 17:04, RodneyCisse said:

Imagine they hadn’t built all that shite around the brewery for the uni man.

Yea... They are never going to give up leazes park and it has Japanese knotweed all around the abandoned, yet listed  house behind the stadium

only options for a new stadium now would be like behind the brewery at exhibition park,  on hunters moor just up barrack road.

the half abandoned Newburn industrial estate next to the river has tons of space for much more than just a stadium, but it's in the middle of nowhere

Untitled.png

Edited by Arknor

1 hour ago, Arknor said:

Yea... They are never going to give up leazes park and it has Japanese knotweed all around the abandoned, yet listed  house behind the stadium

only options for a new stadium now would be like behind the brewery at exhibition park,  on hunters moor just up barrack road.

the half abandoned Newburn industrial estate next to the river has tons of space for much more than just a stadium, but it's in the middle of nowhere

Untitled.png

Might as well build it in north Tyneside at least there’s the metro to get there…..Newburn, no thanks

17 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Might as well build it in north Tyneside at least there’s the metro to get there…..Newburn, no thanks

*glowers at anti-Newburn comment*

At least Newburn is in Newcastle *grumble grumble*

;) 

edit: also, Newburn Industrial Estate isn’t particularly close to Newburn … should really have been Lemington or Bell’s Close Industrial Estate I reckon. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

On 16/02/2024 at 12:48, Whitley mag said:

If we are staying at SJP I want to see it completely transformed like the Bernabau has been. Think just extending the Gallowgate would be a short term fix at huge cost, I’m hoping they’ve got something up their sleeve that blows everyone’s mind and makes SJP one of the best stadiums around.

I used st James' metro recently for the first time in ages to have a peak at the fanzone progress, by just passing through the station I realised that the extending the gallowgate  and the GW corner (as much as I want it) is a task that is bordering on fantasy. The foundations would be absolute fucking massive. 

The main problem is actually the corner under SBR. 

Shepherds plan to extend didn't involve the corner, but a single gallowgate super structure that went back beyond the metro, if you've stood there you realise that would acquire more materials than Sunderland's whole stadium. No wonder he walked away when he saw the costs involved. 

unfortunately the club made a major mistake not adjusting the pitch during the 90s rebuild, I can only assume that things were done too quickly without a thorough feasibility study because we were adding level 7 before the paint was dry. 

Lets say nowt happens, not one crane outside SJP again......experts could easily look at the interior of SJP for higher capacity in the same way they utilise more seats on a plane. 

If you look at most of the biggest capacity ground they aren't overwhelmed with exits yet they are still deemed safe. Other grounds don't seem to have the same mass space for disabled yet still provide them, indeed anfield claims more disabled areas and more disabled seats yet they don't have any obvious gangways or spaces between rows. 

We must also be the only club with a huge press area yet other big grounds claim to provide them on the same level or higher.

Also, the club made an error with level 7, for a standard seat filled with kids that pay half the price....you get the best leg room in the ground! If level 7 had been high capacity like the east stand you'd be talking a few thousand more all the way around. I know we like our comforts but its not really business sense