St James' Park

Delima

35 minutes ago, manorpark said:

The Club don't just want to stay in the City, they (quite rightly) want to stay in the City Centre.

If Newcastle as a city is going to grow and expand to compete with other cities, would expanding the city centre out to the arena site with a new stadium under pinning it not be a feasible option ?

As a City I do worry theres a real lack of vision to expand and grow as where seeing in Liverpool and Manchester right now.

57 minutes ago, manorpark said:

The Club don't just want to stay in the City, they (quite rightly) want to stay in the City Centre.

The Arena site is in the City Centre, SJP whether we like it or not just doesn’t do it for me. You attempt to build on the Leazes Park or the Leazes Moor and it won’t take to long before Friends of the Leazes Park and Castle Leazes spring up and object, just as they did in the 90’s.

A member of my family is a consultant town planner and has visited the Arena site in a work capacity, and I’m told it’s an ideal site for a new stadium and would regenerate the locality commercially to. Who knows what the eventual outcome will be, it’s all down to the club.

Edited by FloydianMag

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

SJP is no more the city centre than the arena site.  You wouldn’t go anywhere near it on a day out in the city centre if football wasn’t played there. 

SJP and the Arena Site are both in the City Centre.

My response was just to clarify that fact, as someone (not sure who) referred to NUFC "staying in the City", to which I said . .  NO, not just in "the City", they need to stay in the CITY CENTRE !!!

They are two very different places. I live in the City, but I am over five miles from the City Centre.

That's all !

Edited by manorpark

I don’t see any practical downsides to the arena site, think that’s my preferred option assuming they can’t get SJP up to a big enough capacity. 

They are both the city centre.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, NG32 said:

If they moved to the arena area what would they build on St James park?  

That would be up to the city council as NUFC do not actually own the land SJP is built on - it belongs to the city council.

4 minutes ago, NG32 said:

Student houses

5 minutes ago, NG32 said:

That would be up to Newcastle City Council to ultimately decide as they own the land. Suppose it depends if NUFC are relinquishing the lease. 

Sorry Bally21 posted simultaneously.

Edited by frankpingel

Actually the Freeman of the city own it, and the lease states that it can only be used for sporting use for the use of the people of the city.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The land and location itself is not massively central to the places most people go... if the ground wasn't there. 

The ground is a 5-10 minute walk from the very centre of town. It’s very central. I can’t think of another pl ground that is more central?

By changing location you wouldn’t be able to get a more central location. 

If they moved to the land next to the Utilitia arena it’ll be a 30-40 min walk depending on which stand you’re in. 

Edited by Toon1892

42 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t see any practical downsides to the arena site, think that’s my preferred option assuming they can’t get SJP up to a big enough capacity. 

They are both the city centre.

Would be a fantastic sight heading into Newcastle from other side of the river.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would be a fantastic sight heading into Newcastle from other side of the river.

But the current location is a fantastic sight for those people in Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

The ground is a 5-10 minute walk from the very centre of town. It’s very central. I can’t think of another pl ground that is more central?

If they moved to the land next to the Utilitia arena it’ll be a 30-40 min walk depending on which stand you’re in. 

Hmm, maybe you're right, I think of them both as similar locations TBH. 

Anyway, the point is really that it's a great location for a PL ground, right beside the centre of town. Not as amazing as SJP of course, but acceptable and better than any other realistic site.

9 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

It's a 20 minute walk from the Arena to St James Park, barely a mile. 

The last part isn't really much different to entering the Leazes Upper tiers compared to the Gallowgate.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Arena's about a 15 min walk from the Central Station, probably about the same to SJP. The Arena site is less central than SJP though, in terms of the shops and bars etc. It would no doubt attract more investment around the Centre for Life area but probably at the detriment of elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Centre of town is no one set place but you cant get into SJP within 10 minutes on a matchday. If you're at, say the Bigg Market, the time it would take to get into SJP or a stadium at the arena is negligible. Quicker from the train station too. 

The arena site is the best you're going to get for a location imo, without moving too far out of town or having to negotiate levelling a Grade II listed Victorian public park (which is pie in the sky imo).

3 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Arena's about a 15 min walk from the Central Station, probably about the same to SJP. The Arena site is less central than SJP though, in terms of the shops and bars etc. It would no doubt attract more investment around the Centre for Life area but probably at the detriment of elsewhere.

Yes but the whole city is in between central station and SJP. Which is what makes the location so good.

Central station to the arena is a walk along busy roads. Traffic lights etc.

Match days won’t be as good for those that like to make a day of it or visit a few pubs on the way to the game.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Centre of town is no one set place but you cant get into SJP within 10 minutes on a matchday. If you're at, say the Bigg Market, the time it would take to get into SJP or a stadium at the arena is negligible. Quicker from the train station too. 

The arena site is the best you're going to get for a location imo, without moving too far out of town or having to negotiate levelling a Grade II listed Victorian public park (which is pie in the sky imo).

I’m well aware there’s no one set place. I was responding to someone saying the current ground isn’t in the centre.

The main point is you have to walk 10 mins from central station up to the Bigg Market and then 25 mins back to quayside area next to the arena (it may well take longer with match traffic all coming from one direction (unlike the current location)). 

Edited by Toon1892

3 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Yes but the whole city is in between central station and SJP. Which is what makes the location so good.

Central station to the arena is a walk along busy roads. Traffic lights etc.

Match days won’t be as good for those that like to make a day of it or visit a few pubs on the way to the game.

At worst it'd involve leaving the pub about 15-25 minutes earlier and getting back a bit later surely?

No doubt moving at all has some negatives, but if we move the arena site seems the only good option.

Really the key thing is the amount of capacity that could be realistically added to SJP.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo